Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 7, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #7,037 of 15,897

I guess the point of frustration lies in the fact that the X5 1st gen. running the final firmware can actually handle all of these tracks without issue! I'm trying to get this to work in my favor but there have been numerous challenges. In short, why would the old model be able to handle this vast amount of tracks without issue, but the new model chokes? I don't see it as pushing a limit so much as maintaining breakthroughs from a few years back, but I digress!

That said, despite yesterday's success, I just tried rebuilding the library with a fresh scan, and now other tracks are causing issues in the scan- tracks that scanned properly the first time! I always make sure to mount and unmount the X5 properly, but I feel like somehow, files are getting corrupted in this process, which is not ok... I just had a scan log hit me back with over 1,000 "bad" tracks, though opening the files in preview and playing them in iTunes works just fine, so this isn't an issue with the files so much as with the way either 1. the player reads them or 2. the way the SD card reader works with the player - either way, not good. 

I keep teetering back and forth between wanting to be patient with this process or feeling like I should just cut my losses and return this new player and switch back to the 1st gen, which has never given me these problems. I want to love this new DAP- the artwork looks amazing (much better than the first gen), and I love the bluetooth feature, but I worry about losing out on $400 if this will never be able to handle my library properly. I admire FiiO's commitment to make these things better, but having these issues when they were not present in previous models is frustrating. 

I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point, but this has been three weeks of constant frustration and it's making me a little crazy. I know I should just return it but I really want this to work.  

I would look at the problem this way: technology and equipment keeps advancing. Either you do the work now, and get your music working, or you will have to do it later. It is your choice, but if it were me I would, no doubt with some impatience and annoyance, get started now.

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #7,038 of 15,897

I've tried Power amp with Cayin I5 and I know what you are talking about and yes it did sound a bit better then Hiby player, but it had issues with clunky UCI and if I remember correctly options like adding playlist on the go were cumbersome affair, so I've gave up on any of third party players and just stuck to Hiby (I've tried Neutron and Onkyo as well) and I am happy with it. You see, if I recalled my auditioning of B&W P7 in the store quite some time ago, they sounded to my ears to mellow and dark, at least with their own hook up, so maybe your demands are quite unique and adding a amp is your way to go. Have you tried FiiOs E6. It is tiny and has 4 EQ presets ( one is quite bassy), it also very cheap and it might do a trick for you?

Hi, thanks for the advice. I'm going to download the HIBY and see if there's any luck. The problem is not from my headphones (nor from the bowers & Willkins P7 headphones), because even with the poorest headphones that I have of button it sounds fantastic the BASS with the poweramp, reason why the failure is not of the headphones. Thanks for the advice
L3000.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #7,040 of 15,897
  I purchased my X5iii from Audio Affair on the 4th and it was sent out, but came back to the supplier. Tried to cancel the order, bearing in mind all the issues, but it has been sent out again.

Will have to RMA it when it arrives. The chap I spoke to was great but was unaware of the issues being discussed on this thread.

The search for a stable Android DAP continues.

FIY, Hidizs will be releasing their AP200 soon. Or, you could go with a smartphone+DAC combo 

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #7,041 of 15,897

I would look at the problem this way: technology and equipment keeps advancing. Either you do the work now, and get your music working, or you will have to do it later. It is your choice, but if it were me I would, no doubt with some impatience and annoyance, get started now.

I hear you, and that's I've been working to resolve these issues for the last three weeks. That said, if all files work with a previous player, and in this instance works well with one scan, with a new scan causing issues all over again... it's not a matter with the music or files. It's the player and the interface. 

As I wrote this, my scan froze again at 49,485 files. Splendid. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7,042 of 15,897

I hear you, and that's I've been working to resolve these issues for the last three weeks. That said, if all files work with a previous player, and in this instance works well with one scan, with a new scan causing issues all over again... it's not a matter with the music or files. It's the player and the interface. 

As I wrote this, my scan froze again at 49,485 files. Splendid. 

​Maybe a stupid question, but what if you load 25k songs & scan and then load another 25k songs and rescan the 50k? That way, only trying to process 25k at a time as 1st 25k need not be read again?

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #7,043 of 15,897
Totally valid! I've tried that a few times without any luck, but let me give this a fresh shot as I'm literally out of ideas at this point and I can't remember the last time I tried this, probably been a few days. 

What vexes me is that the scan logs show files not scanned, which likely halt the process and either 1. locks the player up or 2. skips over these tracks and doesn't allow them into the library. Swapping them with new copies has helped on a case-by-case basis, but every time I try this, the player detects different files that are now problematic out of the blue. When I try these files out on the player pre-scan, or drag them into iTunes to test, they work fine, so I don't think they're corrupted (or if so, it's the scan that is doing so). Ahhhhhhhhhh. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #7,044 of 15,897

​Maybe a stupid question, but what if you load 25k songs & scan and then load another 25k songs and rescan the 50k? That way, only trying to process 25k at a time as 1st 25k need not be read again?

​More thinking: can you get 25k on one SD card & scan only that one then put 25k on the other card and just scan that one? Have you got a big mix of lossy v lossless (my <10k of 1/3 lossy 2/3 FLAC almost fill 200gb card)? If so, have you tried loading & scanning in batches by type of codec?

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #7,045 of 15,897
  [snip]
- There is also an issue when I pause music and restart later, the dock doesn't amplify as well as at start, and the sound is very poor. I need to switch on/off the dock to recover the good amplification

Firmware 1.1.4
Laptop: Macbook pro 15" Touchbar late 2016

Best regards

I've been using my A5III+K5 today and am also observing the issue where sound is significantly lower after leaving playback paused for a while. In my case, I went out for lunch, came back an hour or so later and resumed playback and the audio was significantly lower. Turning off the dock and turning it back on cleared up the problem.

X5III Firmware: 1.1.4
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6540

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7,046 of 15,897
Why don't we compile a list of the known bugs and each successive poster "Cuts and pastes" the previous list and adds their bugs at the bottom, so we end up with one neat list.  I for one would find that interesting.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #7,049 of 15,897

I've been using my A5III+K5 today and am also observing the issue where sound is significantly lower after leaving playback paused for a while. In my case, I went out for lunch, came back an hour or so later and resumed playback and the audio was significantly lower. Turning off the dock and turning it back on cleared up the problem.

X5III Firmware: 1.1.4
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6540

This has been noted by Fiio and they said it would be addressed in the next firmware. It also happens with the FiiO Multifunction Dock (DK1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back