Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 4, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #6,751 of 15,899
In regards to the hardware buttons - what apps are you using?

I've used a couple of different ones (Rocket Player, Google Play Music, Apple Music) and they work. There were a couple of instances where I've had them stop working but a restart of the player fixed it.

I used PowerAmp and Neutron. As far as I remembered, the hardware button for the play/pause did not play pause the music, instead it will fast forward the track... Weird. The Previous and Next button also did not work if I remembered correctly for third party apps. For Fiio music, the Previous and Next buttons worked flawlessly.

Yeah, I wish Fiio could fix the delay when you play/pause the song from Fiio music app.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #6,752 of 15,899
VLC - volume wheel worked, others did not. Richness of sound lacking compared to Fiio music in both android and pure music mode.

Amazon music app - volume wheel and pause worked, fwd rev switch doa. Sound was pretty good on downloaded songs.

Basically happy with Pure music mode. See no need to keep searching for the Holy Grail.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #6,757 of 15,899
  Can anybody compare Plenue M2 and Fiio X5 III, especially by SQ? I am deciding to buy either used M2 or new X5. I have ATH-MSR7 (35 Ohm/100dB/mW ) to pair with.

I have both. Although I have FiiO for only couple of days  - no comparison PM2 is in a higher league. And that includes handling and ability to reproduce sound that it's hard to believe it is possible. Jet Effects 7 on Cowon, just have no competition on the market. You see, you can actually choose to have your sound be forward and bright, or warm and laidback, or neutral if that's what tickles your fancy. So far FiiO on the latest firmware has around 4-5 sec delay from when you press back or skip forward buttons and applying Viper effects takes a bit of a delay which does make it a bit frustrating. I definitely love this FiiO and despite these quirks I will keep it, but Cowon Plenue M2 is King of the Audio jungle full stop (this considering it's price versus value ratio).

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #6,758 of 15,899
  I have both. Although I have FiiO for only couple of days  - no comparison PM2 is in a higher league. And that includes handling and ability to reproduce sound that it's hard to believe it is possible. Jet Effects 7 on Cowon, just have no competition on the market. You see, you can actually choose to have your sound be forward and bright, or warm and laidback, or neutral if that's what tickles your fancy. So far FiiO on the latest firmware has around 4-5 sec delay from when you press back or skip forward buttons and applying Viper effects takes a bit of a delay which does make it a bit frustrating. I definitely love this FiiO and despite these quirks I will keep it, but Cowon Plenue M2 is King of the Audio jungle full stop (this considering it's price versus value ratio).

Soundtrap, thank you for this experience. I am decided for PM2.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #6,759 of 15,899
I used PowerAmp and Neutron. As far as I remembered, the hardware button for the play/pause did not play pause the music, instead it will fast forward the track... Weird. The Previous and Next button also did not work if I remembered correctly for third party apps. For Fiio music, the Previous and Next buttons worked flawlessly.

Yeah, I wish Fiio could fix the delay when you play/pause the song from Fiio music app.

I'm using poweramp exclusively and have no issue with any if the hardware buttons. I also get the delay when resuming music however I'm assuming that's just how it's built. It almost sounds like the amp is turned off and turning back on when I press play to resume the music.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #6,760 of 15,899

I tried to get various players from the Play Store working with the two SD cards and failed. I think part of the problem is that these apps are made with phones in mind which only have one card slot.

In the end I gave up on Rocket player and used Hibymusic app. It sounds great, sees both my SD cards, allows folder browsing, and has a UI that isn't weird (I'm looking at you Neutron). Perfect for my needs.

Just got a reply from JTR Studio about Rocket Player::::

"Unfortunately, we cannot support dual SD cards with Rocket Player. This is an ongoing feature request for the player at this time."

Hopefully they will release an update soon. Using the stock player for now. Hopefully they'll add an "shuffle by album" feature soon.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #6,762 of 15,899
Really happy with the beta FW Fiio provided. Pause/ play bug is gone. Shuffle 9000+ tracks with no delay. Folder view works like a boss and i dont really see any difference between Pure Music mode and fiio music app on android mode.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #6,763 of 15,899
Yeah the delay is protection circuitry built into the player. Nothing can be done with this as it's part of the design.

????????????????????????????????

This definitely requires some explanation. Why would FiiO do this? There are plenty of other players, Android powered and not that don't have this issue.

Previous poster states that this issue is now solved with latest beta firmware.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #6,764 of 15,899
  [snip]
The feature I would like to have:
I normaly use shuffle, the X5 doesn`t start on the song it played before it was shutdown. I have to go back and restart the shuffle again. On the X5 2nd gen, I only had to power it on without looking at it to go back at the last song it played.

You can set the X5III to do exactly what you are asking for. In the settings menu (the one you swipe in from the left side of the screen), select "Resume". Then, on the popup menu, enable the toggle beside "Resume" to enable it and select "Last Position".

I've got my X5III set up like this and it works perfectly.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #6,765 of 15,899

Yeah the delay is protection circuitry built into the player. Nothing can be done with this as it's part of the design.

????????????????????????????????

This definitely requires some explanation. Why would FiiO do this? There are plenty of other players, Android powered and not that don't have this issue.

Previous poster states that this issue is now solved with latest beta firmware.

Indeed! I had major issues with the Fiio music app almost always acting up after a long pause. Either it would skip the paused track or do nothing. Now playing after a long pause does not manifest any skipping/ freezing issues for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back