Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 30, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #6,466 of 15,899

In Fiio firmware 1.0.9, it has sufficient bass. After upgrading to 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, bass is lacking and I still need 1.0.9 kernel to get that satisfaction back even with my intensive audiophile tweaks in advance ROM version. :wink:

Regards,
Keetakawee

Is this volume matched? I wonder if FiiO turned down the output power slightly at the same volume level to reduce the noise floor? @psikey said he noticed less hiss on his Shures on the second device.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #6,467 of 15,899
There are three basic stages to converting a digital file to analogue. First, the file format needs to be decoded and then sent to the DAC as a digital bitstream. Second, the DAC converts the digital file to an analogue waveform. Third, the amp applies buffers and gain stage to the headphones. The first step is the difference between DAC mode and the standalone player.

Logically, when in DAC mode, the X5iii is receiving the decoded bitstream from the computer and bypassing the SoC to decode the files. Likely, the path for the Bluetooth output is looking for the decoded bitstream from the SoC so therefore it does not output the bitstream over Bluetooth when used in DAC mode, as the computer has taken over these duties.

@Relic:  Thanks for the response.  I think I can make sense of your post, please correct the following if I'm mistaken.

3 logical elements of analog audio output:

1. Input is a digital audio bitstream, PCM or DSD, either received via USB from an external source, or from the SoC which decodes a source audio file on the device, or, again from the SoC, when an app such as Spotify or Tidal receives audio over WiFi and then passes it to the SoC, which decodes it to a bitstream
2. Pass bitstream to DAC which converts to analog
3. Amplify & output analog audio

But what happens when the player outputs Bluetooth audio?  I presume that the SoC consumes the source (say flac or mp3 files on the device, or OGG-Vorbis for Spotify, or AAC for Apple Music) and then, instead of decoding to PCM, decodes to a format compatible with the Bluetooth target, either SBC or Apt-X, which it then transmits to the Bluetooth receiver (say my Bose speaker) which converts it to analog, amplifies and plays it.

So the essence of your message is that when the X5 is in USB-DAC mode, the only thing the SoC does is manage the USB connection, and deliver the digital audio stream, which is produced by the computer, to the DAC.  If I play a file in FooBar on my computer, the X5 receives a PCM bitstream, converts it to analog, and then amplifies and outputs the audio.  Same if I run Spotify on the computer -- the computer converts the OGG-Vorbis data to PCM, and then outputs it to the X5, resulting in the same story.

However, the device cannot convert a PCM (or DSD) bitstream (delivered via USB) to SBC or Apt-X to transmit over Bluetooth, either because there is no such conversion capability, or because the point where the system consumes the bitstream via USB is 'downstream' from the module responsible for SBC encoding.

Close?

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #6,468 of 15,899

Ah ha! This totally makes sense now. I really noticed the difference! Enough to replace the bass filters with reference filters after the mod.

On contrary, some people reported 1.1.4 sounding better with smoother and more transparent sounding. Maybe this change of sound is intentional?

Is this volume matched? I wonder if FiiO turned down the output power slightly at the same volume level to reduce the noise floor? @psikey said he noticed less hiss on his Shures on the second device.

I don't find insufficient bass issue being resolved by changing volume level. It's always insufficient no matter how much you increase the volume. I also tested volume in the same level through lineout to speakers too.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #6,469 of 15,899

On contrary, some people reported 1.1.4 sounding better with smoother and more transparent sounding. Maybe this change of sound is intentional?

Regards,
Keetakawee

I have no idea. All I know is that I can tell a difference in sound between the 1.1.4 (which I had been running prior to loading your ROM upgrade) and afterwards. After sounded cleaner and had more bass. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #6,470 of 15,899

I have no idea. All I know is that I can tell a difference in sound between the 1.1.4 (which I had been running prior to loading your ROM upgrade) and afterwards. After sounded cleaner and had more bass. 

Yep. And since you're using my advance ROM with additional tweaks, you'll hear more accurate bass reproduction with cleaner digital audio signal more than before too. :)

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #6,471 of 15,899
Does Fiio L 16 cable work with X5 iii my L 16 cable was not working with X5 2nd Gen to mojo

I'm using it right now with the Oppo HA-2, everything is working fantastic!! This is my first DAP and I'm really impressed!! Wow!

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #6,472 of 15,899
@Fiio -UAPP does not list the 2nd SD card.

I asked the developer of UAPP and he said this - "UAPP enumerates the 'external storage folders'. FiiO should make the 2nd sd card show up in that list."

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #6,473 of 15,899
  @Fiio -UAPP does not list the 2nd SD card.

I asked the developer of UAPP and he said this - "UAPP enumerates the 'external storage folders'. FiiO should make the 2nd sd card show up in that list."

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

@FiiO I second this. Amaze File Browser doesn't see the second card for this reason.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #6,475 of 15,899
  As I now fret between red, black & titanium -- does it matter what brand/specs SD card I get.  I see that the prices for 220 and 256 are all over the place.

Any reputable brand (Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, Apacer etc) should be fine. Usually the biggest difference is in read/write speeds, which won't matter on the X5.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #6,476 of 15,899
@WindowsX thank you for efforting an alternative fw for us. You should be contracted by fiio :)

Hope Fiio consider these feedbacks and put old audio kernel in future fws.... But anyway may they are still testing for get the sound on the spot.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #6,477 of 15,899
  @WindowsX thank you for efforting an alternative fw for us. You should be contracted by fiio :)

Hope Fiio consider these feedbacks and put old audio kernel in future fws.... But anyway may they are still testing for get the sound on the spot.

I have also put in a support ticket to review this :)

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #6,478 of 15,899

Quick question for those of you who are using the X5III with the K5: will the player fit into the dock with the silicone case on it or will I have to remove the X5III from the case first? 

You'll need to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back