Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #6,168 of 15,897

Hi! Thank you very much for putting a lot of efford into communicating with your customers and trying to solve problems!

2. I checked that, but the songs that used to be green and are grey now just say "not available" when you try to play them offline. 

Maybe other ideas?

I had the Spotify problem when I first got a Titanium X5III v1.1.1 and one of reasons I returned it. Now have a Red one on 1.1.4 and after reading numerous posts I tried something different & not lost sync yet in 1 week.

1. My microSD cards were formatted exFAT so now formatted those in the X5III itself as FAT.
  2. Made sure there wasn't already 3 devices showing in Spotify Offline account settings.
  3. Never put Spotify in Offline, just disable wireless when not needed.

I currently have Spotify synced to the X5III internal memory (~13GB) and my FLAC/DSD/MP3 tracks on a single 128GB Sandisk microSD. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #6,169 of 15,897
  And if you go Settings > Applications.....is there not a section there where you can "reset" or change the default application preferences?

Nope, greyed out. And I understand why, because otherwise it inherently breaks their "pure mode" switching feature. But as I've said, there's a way to work around limitations like this for power users... Just requires a little more time. :p 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #6,170 of 15,897
The thing is that if you change the launcher the Pure Music mode does not work at all anymore, allowing users to break functions of your device while maintaining support for the device is a tough call to make for any hardware manufacturer. Note that on regular smartphones, most of the time changing the ROM breaks the contract you have with the seller and support won't be provided anymore.

Yes, I understand that perfectly. And we're not talking about changing a ROM, we're talking about changing an out of the box android feature that's been disabled by the vendor so its ecosystem works the way they want it to... While I have no issues with this, I still find it an irritant, as I've coded android builds, I've done the kernel dev'ing, I've modded APK's, I've done all this... Am I asking too much for this device? Maybe. But I come from a pretty open Android world and the audiophile side of me takes a strong second place to my android tinkering.

Will I lose support from the vendor if I go any further to get this working? Yep. Do I personally care? Nope, because flashing back a stock ROM is a piece of cake.

Again, to each his own... But Android shouldn't be scary.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #6,171 of 15,897
  Dear hanes, 

1. You are required to collect the Internet for active the Viper effect at the first time. 

2. According to the feedback from our engineers, although the green tik get grey, the song can be played and will turn green again soon. If you have discovered any other phenomenon, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards

Hi! Thank you very much for putting a lot of efford into communicating with your customers and trying to solve problems!

1. Yes, I know. Internet was on and Viber is activated. Sliders turned green you can move the EQ arround, it just does not have any effect on the sound at all. Exactly the same as the Spotify EQ, as mentioned before. Can maybe some other Headfiers check if you have the same problem?

2. I checked that, but the songs that used to be green and are grey now just say "not available" when you try to play them offline. 

Maybe other ideas?

Hi Fiio!

I think I came a bit closer to solve the mystery of 2.! Actually I realized that the player automatically seem to change the place to store Spotify data (from SD card to internal storage)!
For sure I set it up to "safe to SD card" when I installed Spotify, but after a while the setting suddenly changed to "internal storage" again (even though I did not do anything). It seems the offline content disappears right after that, which would be quite obvious. When you change to "SD card" again, it overwrites the spotify folder that was created before - so you have to restart downloading again. Until the same thing happens again!
Can you check that with your engineers?

Thanks! 

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #6,172 of 15,897
[quote="enraged] However, I enjoy the versatility of having an external amp (to power my HD800 if I ever needed to) and the resulting extended battery life.
[/quote]

Problem is the A5 battery time in and of itself is not much better than using the X5 III on its own, so you still have to fuss with recharging the A5 too. Whether you have to charge only one device often vs two, there's not much benefit. < my 2¢

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #6,173 of 15,897
Hi Fiio,

first congratulation, Great Job!

In Folder View, when i use the RH slider to select one letter, the display change to it.
it works only with folders and .mp3 files.
with .ogg or .wav files the display not show the selected letter.

Sorry for my english, its not my native language.

Regards

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #6,174 of 15,897

Yep - have tried.  Its an interesting question and I guess it depends on what you're listening to and what your normal listening volume is.  If I'm listening to well recorded classical, or even something like Amber Rubarth's "Tundra" (my soundstage test), then to get my normal listening level of 65-75 dB I'd have to crank the X5iii to around 85-90/120 (low gain though).  On high gain there is still quite a bit of headroom - after all 80/120 db is only 2/3 of the way.

For more modern rock (Pearl Jam), 60-65/120 easily meets my normal listening level on high gain. I've been listening to the HD800S a lot without any additional amping as well.  So is it required? Not for my listening levels and headphones. And IMO the HD600 and HD800S both sound fantastic out of the X5iii alone.

An amp will give you a bit more battery life, and a bit more headroom - but personally I don't think it adds a lot to the sonic signature.  Mind you the A5 is a very neutral amp.  Its one of the reasons I really like it.  Does its job and gets out of the way.

So need an amp - no.
Benefits from an amp - not enough for me to say it is required.
Do I use an amp - most of the time no - occasionally if I'm having an extended listening session, or the whim takes me 
wink.gif

Thanks for the input @Brooko 

Another question (if I may): Is there a noticeable improvement in SQ versus the Fiio Q1?

My current set-up is iPhone 6s -> Fiio Q1 -> HD600.
Will I notice an upgrade in SQ with Fiio X5iii -> HD600?

I listen a low volumes (not sure if this bit of info would affect your answer).

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #6,175 of 15,897

Thanks for the input @Brooko 

Another question (if I may): Is there a noticeable improvement in SQ versus the Fiio Q1?

My current set-up is iPhone 6s -> Fiio Q1 -> HD600.
Will I notice an upgrade in SQ with Fiio X5iii -> HD600?

I listen a low volumes (not sure if this bit of info would affect your answer).

I'm pretty sure you will notice an improvement due to the quality of the DAC's of the X5, also the integrated amplification is probably superior to the Q1. Note that I don't own both, but my X5 is vastly superior to my FiiO K1 or Sound Blaster E1 which are in the same price range that your Q1. It's another class of sound quality that I did not experience before.

To top it off your HD600's should do great justice to the X5, if you have the money just do it. Actually the Q1 is probably the weak chain of your setup, and the X5 will release the true potential of your HD600's

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #6,176 of 15,897

I had the Spotify problem when I first got a Titanium X5III v1.1.1 and one of reasons I returned it. Now have a Red one on 1.1.4 and after reading numerous posts I tried something different & not lost sync yet in 1 week.

1. My microSD cards were formatted exFAT so now formatted those in the X5III itself as FAT.
  2. Made sure there wasn't already 3 devices showing in Spotify Offline account settings.
  3. Never put Spotify in Offline, just disable wireless when not needed.

I currently have Spotify synced to the X5III internal memory (~13GB) and my FLAC/DSD/MP3 tracks on a single 128GB Sandisk microSD. 

Interesting, thanks! I will try everything you wrote! My card was already formatted in the X5 itself, though..

Anyway, thanks! 

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #6,177 of 15,897
After a few weeks of use, i think "Fiio Music" sounds just as good in "pure audio" as in Android "mode" (at least for me)
Ok, the "pure" free some system resources and more or less limits the operating environment...
But beyond that I am unable to notice any differences in audio quality level

Does "pure audio" mode make something real to improve the audio quality?
Or is simply a reduced mode for those who do not need anything more than FiiO Music?

Ok, i find a FiiO answer in the FAQ:
http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41961&extra=page%3D1

What's the difference between Android and Pure Music mode?
In Android mode, you can install and run the third-party apps just like operating on an Android tablet. In Pure Music mode, only the FiiO Music app will be running and all operations will be limited to FiiO Music. In this way the X5 will work as a stable and pure music player

So I deduce that there is no difference in audio quality level, so I do not really worry about losing the "pure audio" in exchange for opening a bit the Android ecosystem

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,178 of 15,897
  To @FiiO or anyone who might have the answers. 

Ill skip the pleasantries and get straight to the point. 

I've had the x5 for 3 days now and am currently on version 1.1.3 of the software. 

Some problems/questions:

1) If I pause the player for an extended time upward of 10-20 seconds and hit play again, theres a noticeable lag in playback. Sometimes it skips the song I'm currently playing altogether. The lag can be up to 10-15 seconds. 

2) How do I access the album of the current track playing? Im yet to figure this out and it grinds my gears. Perhaps Fiio can incorporate this option into the 3 dot button? Maybe im missing something completely...

3) How to fast forward a song? I thought long pressing the next button would do the trick (on the screen and hardware) but with no luck. 

4) Sometimes there is a click when changing sample rates, at times it can get loud. Also, this occasionally happens when moving from track to track of the same sample rate. 

5) It gets warm after 45min or so of playback. This might be due to the climate I'm in? (Tropical)

6) How do I purchase the viper effects? When I click pay with paypal a barcode comes up, what am I suppose to do with that? (sorry if that sounds silly but I really have no idea). 

Minor hiccups aside with the software, you really have created something beautiful. Musically, this DAP makes my legs wobble and arouses me in all the right places.

Thank you to anyone who gifts their answers.

First off, you really should upgrade to 1.1.4. But in the meantime, I can answer some of your questions (but I'm not affiliated with Fiio; I'm just a satisfied user):

1. I get a slight delay when resuming playback from pause but not 10-20 seconds. Perhaps it's related to library size (mine is quite small; just over 1200 tracks)?

2.On the Now Playing screen, swipe in from the left edge will display the queued tracks. Not quite what you're after but it's close. Alternately, you can switch to the browser screen (tap the icon in the top left corner). The press the folder icon to browse the collection; tap the folder icon on the far right; you'll see an animation beside the SD card/internal memory that holds the currently playing track. Tap that and start drilling into your folder hierarchy. Each time, the folder that contains the currently selected track will be highlighted by default. A few taps and you'll be in the folder of the album for your currently playing track. It takes longer for me to type out the description than it does to actually do it.

3. On the Now Playing screen, you can scrub forward and backward in the middle zone (where the track name is displayed -- to the right of the track count) to fast forward and rewind.

I'll leave 4, 5, and 6 to others. 

Hope this helps.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,179 of 15,897
hello everyone, i have read a lot of this thread aparently not all 400 pages
I have some questions

i have the X1 first gen together with the fiio E11k

in the last year i use a lot spotify and tidal   both of them with subscription

so i dont use my X1 very often because of the variety i have now with this 2 streaming programs

i am considering to buy the X5 and i want to ask how does it play with tidal and spotify and also does it need a separate dac or does it play good without one?

My earphones are shure 435 ,final audio heaven V and sennheisser momentum ie

Thank you all

Works flawlessly. Some songs in tidal are stuttering now and then. Bit not a biggie. With the shure you could also try balanced out. Give the cheap fiio cable a try. Uncomfy af but stellar sound performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back