Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #4,546 of 15,899
Just received my X5iii yesterday and this thing is definitely a different type of step-up from the previous X5ii. I mean, the features alone (filters) can have one tinkering with sound characteristics all day to get close to a sound you prefer.

I never tried the X7, but IMO this is kinda like having a 2-for-1 (X7 in a X5) package and with google play-store options I don't see myself getting bored with this player anytime soon.

I'm a little behind times but I need to update my paypal account because this Viper mode has me tempted to purchase at least 3 of their "effects". lol

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #4,547 of 15,899
  Just received my X5iii yesterday and this thing is definitely a different type of step-up from the previous X5ii. I mean, the features alone (filters) can have one tinkering with sound characteristics all day to get close to a sound you prefer.

I never tried the X7, but IMO this is kinda like having a 2-for-1 (X7 in a X5) package and with google play-store options I don't see myself getting bored with this player anytime soon.

I'm a little behind times but I need to update my paypal account because this Viper mode has me tempted to purchase at least 3 of their "effects". lol

Are you able to apply the filters/EQ across the entire system?  In other words, can the filters/EQ be applied to music that has been downloaded (for offline listening) from the various streaming services (Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music)?

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #4,549 of 15,899

Are you able to apply the filters/EQ across the entire system?  In other words, can the filters/EQ be applied to music that has been downloaded (for offline listening) from the various streaming services (Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music)?

the viper effects isn't the same as viper4android.

the device needs to be rooted for v4a, don't know whats this viper effect is all about.  Doesn't seem to work to well for me, and you can't buy any of the effects on play store, yet.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,552 of 15,899
So is this the DAP that will finally make you switch from an Android phone/dac?

No.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,554 of 15,899
Would someone, or even better Fiio, be willing to  take a crack at helping me understand what goes on inside the X5iii to make it sound "warmer"?

That description has been used A LOT in various reviews and opinions. I think James Even mentioned the X7 was tuned in that direction.
The way I understand warmer in the simplest of terms would be a somewhat reduced upper mids and treble.

Is that to say the output response has been altered to cause this effect, either through frequency and/or specific distortion characteristics?

Does it extend to the line out as well? ( This one is important to me)

Is it simply the default setting of the user switchable filter?

Sorry for all the questions.

Keeping implementation in mind, I own the X7 and a desktop DAC that uses the AK4490 and differences in tonality (warmth) are not apparent - to me.

I'm wondering if a graph of the X5iii outputs responses would/ could show this warmth?

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #4,555 of 15,899
  Would someone, or even better Fiio, take a crack at helping me understand what goes on inside the X5iii to make it sound "warmer."

That description has been used A LOT in various reviews and opinions. I think James Even mentioned the X7 was tuned in that direction.
The way I understand warmer in the simplest of terms would be a somewhat reduced upper mids and treble.

Is that to say the output response has been altered to cause this effect, either through frequency and/or specific distortion characteristics?

Keeping implementation in mind, I own the X7 and a desktop DAC that uses the AK4490 and differences in tonality (warmth) are not apparent - to me.

I'm wondering if a graph of the X5iii outputs responses would/ could show this warmth?

I speak under correction, but I vaguely remember watching a video about a year or 2 ago that explained this. From what I remember, this "warmth" came from harmonic distortion. Something about 3rd order, or something like that. Not entirely sure. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #4,556 of 15,899
  Would someone, or even better Fiio, take a crack at helping me understand what goes on inside the X5iii to make it sound "warmer."

The differences are not visible in graphs actually. 

But the sound is warm. 

Hard to describe in other words really. 

Smooth. 

IT is done  inside AK4490, the line out would be kinda warm as well. Their tech named velvet sound makes sound smooth and warm. It works well for most of people.

I will be buying an X7 next gen when it comes out for sure as it keeps the ESS DAC from the rumors I've heard and I prefer it's sound. 

As a heads-up, a warm sound means that it is friendly and makes everything sound smooth, relaxed and well.. friendly. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #4,557 of 15,899

The differences are not visible in graphs actually. 

But the sound is warm. 

Hard to describe in other words really. 

Smooth. 

IT is done  inside AK4490, the line out would be kinda warm as well. Their tech named velvet sound makes sound smooth and warm. It works well for most of people.

I will be buying an X7 next gen when it comes out for sure as it keeps the ESS DAC from the rumors I've heard and I prefer it's sound. 

As a heads-up, a warm sound means that it is friendly and makes everything sound smooth, relaxed and well.. friendly. 

I speak under correction, but I vaguely remember watching a video about a year or 2 ago that explained this. From what I remember, this "warmth" came from harmonic distortion. Something about 3rd order, or something like that. Not entirely sure. 

Thanks guys-  that does make me even more curious, especially if the difference is not simply removing some of the upper response quantity.
Ouch goes the wallet - again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #4,558 of 15,899

Yes of course they work. The filters are in the DAC. When you stream, you are streaming a digital signal which has to go through the DAC to covert to analogue sound. Therefore the filters apply :)

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #4,559 of 15,899
Yes of course they work. The filters are in the DAC. When you stream, you are streaming a digital signal which has to go through the DAC to covert to analogue sound. Therefore the filters apply
smily_headphones1.gif

Very good.

I basically want to mimic the "bass boost" feature that I currently utilize on my Fiio Q1.  Being able to boost the bass like this to all of the music that I'd be listening to with the X5iii (whether it be music files that I've uploaded to the X5 myself, or files that I'm streaming from Tidal/Spotify/etc, or files that I've downloaded from Tidal/Spotify for "offline listening"). 

If I'm able to apply a bass boost (very similar to what Fiio's hardware bass boost function on their amps and dac/amps does), then I'll seriously consider the X5iii.

And of course, any other additional filters or EQ options that I can apply would really just be a bonus for me; something for me to experiment with in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back