Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 23, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #3,121 of 15,897
This is be a pretty silly way to choose media players, but how pointy are the X5III's corners?

I've got the iBasso DX80, and the corners are quite sharp, and it's wearing holes in the front pocket of my jeans. I do know the X5III is a little thinner than the DX80s, and I'm hoping that the corners are a little less sharp.

Oh, and if anyone has done a SQ comparison of the two, I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,122 of 15,897
Man this is tough....I managed to get an OPUS#1 (non metal) at the price of $400, and I do really enjoy the sound it's producing. That said, the X5III is designed so well, and it so so many more features..I still have time to return, gaaaah. What do, what do..I've been primarily using my Hifiman HE-500, and the OPUS#1 does a surprisingly good job at driving them. I don't know if the X5III has what it takes to drive them. Has anyone tested out a pair of cans close to the HE-500 in terms of power?

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,123 of 15,897
  This is be a pretty silly way to choose media players, but how pointy are the X5III's corners?

I've got the iBasso DX80, and the corners are quite sharp, and it's wearing holes in the front pocket of my jeans. I do know the X5III is a little thinner than the DX80s, and I'm hoping that the corners are a little less sharp.

Oh, and if anyone has done a SQ comparison of the two, I'd like to hear your thoughts!

I'm slicing my vetgetables with it. Like this sharp are they :)

A bit sharper like the average cellphone I'd say. But you do not handle a DAP like a cellphone.
And with the two cases in the box it's totally fine to keep it in your hand -- or safe in your pantalones.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,124 of 15,897
Thanks for the advice @jeffhawke @Hawaiibadboy
Think my question was a bit vague. I'll clarify.
I was considering buying a DAC/DAP and my budget is around 300 to 400$. My main requirement is a DAC that can be used to play my lossless music collection. So a DAP is not a must. I'm willing to forgo the advantages of a DAP ( portability, use as transport, andriod app support) if I can get a noticeable improvement in SQ by getting a dedicated DAC. But the possibility of buying a DAP like the new X5 and using it as a desktop DAC makes me wonder if the SQ improvement is enough to really consider forgoing the flexibility of a DAP.
So considering the same source headphones and possibly an amp as well, would the Mojo really be an improvement over the new X5 purely as a DAC? As of now I would be using the Harman Kardon soundsticks 3 to play most of my music. I intend to start with a DAC and slowly build up the rest of the gear over time. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #3,125 of 15,897
If all goes well and I catch the DHL man today, I should be getting my X5 III today.

I REALLY want to root it so I can run programs like "AdAway" and to also clean up the apps if needed. 

I hope someone can figure out a not so difficult way to root this DAP.  I'm good at following directions. 
biggrin.gif

--

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,126 of 15,897
Thanks for the advice @jeffhawke
@Hawaiibadboy

I was considering buying a DAC/DAP and my budget is around 300 to 400$. My main requirement is a DAC that can be used to play my lossless music collection. So a DAP is not a must. I'm willing to forgo the advantages of a DAP ( portability, use as transport, andriod app support) if I can get a noticeable improvement in SQ by getting a dedicated DAC. But the possibility of buying a DAP like the new X5 and using it as a desktop DAC makes me wonder if the SQ improvement is enough to really consider forgoing the flexibility of a DAP.
So considering the same source headphones and possibly an amp as well, would the Mojo really be an improvement over the new X5 purely as a DAC? As of now I would be using the Harman Kardon soundsticks 3 to play most of my music. I intend to start with a DAC and slowly build up the rest of the gear over time. 

As we all know, a chain is as good as its weakest link, and that obviously applies to audio chains also. In your case, it appears to me a) that your system is only desktop and b) that, having in mind the possible choices you gave, your weakest link might be the soundsticks. Considering that their value is around $179, I would suggest that you stay in that price range for a DAC, and my recommendation for a desk setup like yors would be a Schiit Modi 2 Uber or, better still, a Modi Multibit. The Uber is around the same price as the soundsticks, and the Multibit a little more, but not that much. This would allow you to upgrade your desktop setup in the future by adding an amp or a good set of active speakers. Having said all that, you never mentioned headphones, so I don't really know whether they come into the picture or not, because if they do, and again depending on their level, the view I expressed above might change.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #3,127 of 15,897
  If all goes well and I catch the DHL man today, I should be getting my X5 III today.

I REALLY want to root it so I can run programs like "AdAway" and to also clean up the apps if needed. 

I hope someone can figure out a not so difficult way to root this DAP.  I'm good at following directions. 
biggrin.gif

--

You won't need to root or clean any programs, it comes really clean, only what is needed.

FiiO did a good job with that and there is literally zero bloatware on X5-3

I was not expecting this, but I'm nicely surprised. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,128 of 15,897

You won't need to root or clean any programs, it comes really clean, only what is needed.

FiiO did a good job with that and there is literally zero bloatware on X5-3

I was not expecting this, but I'm nicely surprised. 

Oh, this is great to know.  Thanks.  I guess I will see for myself soon enough.

Though, I would still like to root the X5 III so I can run a few outside apps. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,129 of 15,897
Thanks for the advice @jeffhawke
@Hawaiibadboy

Piggybacking onto jeffhawke's comments, it sounds like you need an upgrade in DAC. The Schiit Modi 2 Uber is quite good. It does provide a somewhat bright sound in my opinion. I still really like it, and was using yesterday out of my MacBook Pro in conjunction with the Schiit Magni 2. The Magni provides a bright sound to me, too.

It also sounds like the Dragonfly Red would be a good fit. I have not heard that one, but from the reviews, it comes across as quite good. The Shanling UP is another option, which I have heard and like quite a bit.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back