Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #13,876 of 15,897
no one able to re upload the zip file with twrp and tools to install without root?

The process to install TWRP without root is very simple :

1) Download TWRP from my link above
2) Download rkflashtool for your OS of choice
3) Reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader)
4) Flash TWRP (rkflashtool w recovery < twrp_recovery.img) and reboot (rkflashtool b)

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #13,877 of 15,897
And I notice also that after a while when the screen turn off the wifi was dropped. I was listening to it then but the x5 was disconnected from streaming. I didn't have that issue before the stock kernel.

I'm just saying my observations, I thank jkbuha for all his work done with the custom kernel. We are all thankful and know that this is a work in progress. :)

Could you do the following:

1) connect the FiiO to a computer and run adb logcat
2) with logcat running, turn the screen off until you get a wifi drop or sound distortion
3) dump the logcat to a file and send me a PM or email

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #13,879 of 15,897
The process to install TWRP without root is very simple :

1) Download TWRP from my link above
2) Download rkflashtool for your OS of choice
3) Reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader)
4) Flash TWRP (rkflashtool w recovery < twrp_recovery.img) and reboot (rkflashtool b)

I did the above but it still boots into stock recovery.
The rkflashtool command said done without any errors but it looks like it never flashed the image.

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #13,880 of 15,897
I did the above but it still boots into stock recovery.
The rkflashtool command said done without any errors but it looks like it never flashed the image.
In the zip file there is an executable androidtool.exe and driverinstall,
Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press <Run> button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click <ResetDevice> button.
- We're done.
To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.
This is how i put twrp on my fiio x5iii.
If you have the SU file put on the root directory or sdcard, and install through twrp.
See if this gets you there.

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #13,881 of 15,897
In the zip file there is an executable androidtool.exe and driverinstall,
Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press <Run> button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click <ResetDevice> button.
- We're done.
To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.
This is how i put twrp on my fiio x5iii.
If you have the SU file put on the root directory or sdcard, and install through twrp.
See if this gets you there.

Yes thats what I followed before I tried the jkbuha's method.
I will retry over weekend.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #13,882 of 15,897
Happy to say I got around to installing jkbuha's kernel & have zero complaints! Any praise echoes what others have already shared.

What has stuck around however, is some major issues involving FiiO Music essentially hijacking UAPP. This has been happening to me for at least a month and a half or so. Only installed new kernel tonight.

That's the best way I can describe it. I'll come to UAPP from a couple minutes of inactivity, to find everything...blank?
I go to the app switcher and I can see FiiO Music has opened itself up in the background, mimicking UAPP. I click on FiiO Music and it doesn't open FiiO Music, it just goes to the home screen.

Screenshot_2018-07-31-23-51-17.png

I can repeat this process to create some truly stunning infinite regressions...

Screenshot_2018-07-31-23-51-32.png

Screenshot_2018-08-01-00-02-22.png

So what's this about? Anyone have a clue what settings I can safely set limit background processes to in the android developer options to perhaps prevent this from coming about?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #13,883 of 15,897
Interesting results. Could you try freezing or uninstalling FiiO Music (using titanium or any other root-based system app manager), I’d like to see if it’s affecting general ROM performance and other devices (such as USB).

Note: this is due to the ROM configuration, not kernel related.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #13,885 of 15,897
Does anybody have trouble with Neutron? I cannot figure out what exactly is happening but after a while (i would guess 30-45 minutes without having looked at the clock) the music stops playing. On the lockscreen the media keys are still visible but if you unlock the device the play icon in the notification bar disappears and Neutron is crashed / shut down.

I had this behaviour before but after installing the new kernel I decided to reset the device to factory settings on offer to fix Neutron. That seems to have initially fixed the issue but now its back. I really like neutron but it's unusable with the X5 III. It also doesn't seem to be related to the kernel.

I'd be happy to hear about any ways to fix this or a working alternative to Neutron that has similar functionality.

I've just noticed the same behavior here of late. Did you ever find a solution? The player remains functional it's just Neutron that suddenly decides to shut down.

Powderphinger

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #13,886 of 15,897
I've just noticed the same behavior here of late. Did you ever find a solution? The player remains functional it's just Neutron that suddenly decides to shut down.

Powderphinger
I faced the same issue with Neutron on my X5 3 and my phone too. I had to reset both to the factory settings. I tried everything, clearing the cache and uninstalling the app.
After reset it doesn't crash anymore.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #13,887 of 15,897
For me the crashes returned after a little while despite the factory reset. It's working for now although I haven't listened for extended periods of time lately. Might have been the latest Neutron update that fixed it for me.

I'm still pessimistic though so if someone knows a viable alternative that would still be appreciated.

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #13,889 of 15,897
Did you leave Neutron in the default mode or reset to your desired settings?

Powderphinger
Yes, I changed a few setting for my liking..disabled AGP, PreAMP, Resampling to Audiophile, 32bit output and frequency to 192Khz. And I don't use the EQ which ofter results in distortion.
If I want to EQ, I will use the default EQ (FiiO) and don't touch the Neutron EQ. Because there is no distortion that way when I increase the bass.

If you want to use the Neutron EQ, then you have to enable the AGP and PreAMP and they prevent distortion by reducing the PreAMP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back