Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 30, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #13,306 of 15,897
Just trying for the easiest option. You can do the same thing with the original files - using batch converter. Just needs a little pre-tweaking.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #13,307 of 15,897
I don't want them in the same folders as the original FLAC content, I want an exact copy of my FLAC folders, but in a lossy format in a different location, so I can then copy the new folders to a SD card.
Right. dbPoweramp can do that as well. Just configure it. Choose a base folder and set your output based on the tags to, say, X:\YourRootFolder\Artist\Album\discid.trackno - title.flac or whatever.

Boom. Done.

The actual option in the Convert to... dialog is called Edit Dynamic Naming. Read the manual, use that dialog and the world is your oyster.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #13,308 of 15,897
unboxed last night and just staring at it was fun hehe :)
I'm waiting to hear from you good folks a bit before I start messing around because I would like this set up properly.

Any advice for a total newb here just in terms of setup/usage/organization? I assume the first thing I want to do after charging it fully is run a firmware update to the latest greatest?
Will be using this mainly in the car and the home stereo which I assume is best to use the coax? In the car, I can plug in but would prefer Bluetooth just for the ease of it.

I'm literally stepping into the digital age *today* from CDs, so I'm really challenged with figuring out how to get the most out of it. I have a ton of music between CDs and flac backups. If I ever get everything transferred over I'll likely have 3-4 TBs of mostly flac. IDK whether I'll want to rotate flacs through the SD cards etc. or just bring everything down to a 320 or v0 mp3 and have a whole lot more.

Anyway, that's getting a bit off topic. Hoping to get set up soon - please let me know any crucial do's and don'ts so I don't mess this up.
Amazing thread here....I've begun to read through it starting at page 300!
Your collection is similar to mine. I have 4TB in FLAC, ALAC and some earlier stuff from Apple days in AAC formats. I have two 200GB cards and have to be selective on the music transfer sadly. I would love to get two 400GB cards but they're still more than £200 each.
Do's and don'ts? Firstly, don't listen to naysayers and grumpy people on here. Do enjoy your music and player. Yes, it has some bugs but it's a good sound and you'll get used to the way it works and operates. Buy and download some nice 24-bit stuff from Qobuz and copy it over.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #13,309 of 15,897
Thanks, dude. I do have them somewhat organized. It's the thought of the copying that has me dreading the endeavor. Good suggestions though. It does appear that everyone has a different opinion on the formatting though....

Powderphinger

Update: After removing my micro-card from the unit, reinstalling firmware, and slowly installing files onto the internal drive, things have looked promising. No start-up glitches or freeze ups. I then re-formatted the micro-disk and have incrementally re-installed files onto it. However, taking a tip from one of you, I have installed the files directly within the PC itself rather than via USB to the player. I am now pretty convinced I have my issues straightened out. No glitches the entire weekend! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I do have one puzzling issue that remains.... often, when I install music onto the card and then insert it into the player, the folders will show duplicate songs in them. If I attempt to play such a folder, the first song will play but will not advance; in essence, repeating the same tune over and over. I've discovered that if I "reset database" in the Fiio Music app, this takes care of the situation after I rescan. Anyone had such an issue?

Powderphinger

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #13,311 of 15,897
Is there any way to change the default app on"pure music" mode?

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #13,314 of 15,897
Are there any Android apps that don't require Android to operate?

The point of "pure music" mode is that Android is shut down. I just don't see how a separate downloaded app could be instructed to run apart from the operating system it's designed for.
I think Pure Music was set up to allow Fiio to circumvent Androids built in music playing system. See Hiby player, they got around that problem in current version.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #13,315 of 15,897
I think Pure Music was set up to allow Fiio to circumvent Androids built in music playing system. See Hiby player, they got around that problem in current version.

Hilby may indeed have it's own player separate from Android's, will the entire app operate outside of Android? Any app that could qualify as a selectable replacement for Pure Music would have to be able to operate in that environment.

Personally I have no problems with Pure Music.

May 1, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #13,316 of 15,897
Maybe this is a better thread to post my concerns....Pure Music mode is a nightmare for me - I would love it, but the included Fiio music app always causes my device to crash / freeze during boot up (and yes I've updated it to the most current version) . Frequently I'll have to hold the power key down for 10 seconds and do a hard reboot. I've had 3rd party apps recommended to me....I'm in the middle of trying Neutron, and Poweramp...but so far - my hardware buttons don't do what they're supposed to do in these Android players. Part of the reason may be (Neutron for example) that I'm using an older version - it's the one that I was able to download from the included Fiio marketplace. I've noticed most other versions of the app are paid versions. However, I'm hesitant to pay for something if it's just going to continue not working as I expect it to.

May 1, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #13,317 of 15,897
@muzikT - please try one thing. Assuming you have updated to the latest fw, go into Android settings and choose to do a Factory Data Reset. Afterwards, you'll need to re-input your credentials for your wi-fi and Play Store + also rescan your music. But it seems to be the #1 fix with erratic behaviour.

May 1, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #13,319 of 15,897
You only have to do it each time after you've upgraded fw. Wish I had more tips. Sadly my X5iii not exhibiting same issues - so unsure of what else you can do. If you can send FiiO logs, they may be able to work it out.

May 1, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #13,320 of 15,897
Hello everyone,
I just bought this DAP, but the person who sold it to me states that it does not come with a micro-usd plug.
Can anyone direct me to a link(s) where I can have a plug for plugging it into my pc to transfer files and also something that can charge it up as quick as possible?
Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back