Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #6,317 of 15,899
Trying to figure out: when in an artist's folder, is there anyway to configure the individual albums to display by year of release, instead of alphabetically?

I decided to make this happen whatever DAP i used. Free MP3Tag software and an easily setup Action to add (YYYY) before album name. Takes the Year from files Year meta data. So Album is now shown as (1972) Close To The Edge etc. One off automated procedure, albums always in order.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #6,318 of 15,899

​On the PC I found MediaMonkey to be the best so far. Learning curve a bit steep but once you master it things synch fast and simple. Can be fully automated to synch on connection and then eject all volumes.

I second the recommendation for MediaMonkey. You can create an individual syncing profile for each of your devices. In fact, you can create a different profile for each of the microSD cards and the internal storage on the X5III.  

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #6,319 of 15,899
first off, after upgrading to the most recent firmware I am loving this thing. I use it as a stand alone portable, line out to a schiit Asguard head phone amp, car stereo, and a Yamaha receiver.  I use a FiiO Multifunction Dock (DK1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP8HCLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one problem i have found that i have not seen mentioned is when using the DK1 it works perfectly when first plugged in. When paused for a few minutes and then I return to play the volume is muted half strength, the unit has to be uplugged from the stand and plugged back in for normal line out power. This happens to both my DK1's. This is in pure music mode.

anybody else notice this? not a big deal but not perfect.

Edit: this dock (DK1) works fine with my X1 and X3ii

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #6,320 of 15,899
  [snip]
The one problem i have found that i have not seen mentioned is when using the DK1 it works perfectly when first plugged in. When paused for a few minutes and then I return to play the volume is muted half strength, the unit has to be uplugged from the stand and plugged back in for normal line out power. This happens to both my DK1's. This is in pure music mode.

anybody else notice this? not a big deal but not perfect.

An interesting observation. I was thinking about buying a DK1 (or maybe a K5) to use as a dock at work. So I'm quite interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,321 of 15,899
  I second the recommendation for MediaMonkey. You can create an individual syncing profile for each of your devices. In fact, you can create a different profile for each of the microSD cards and the internal storage on the X5III.  

​It is a pain using Fiio to build my playlists manually.
I've got the free version of MM on my pc as I moved from iTunes when I decided to rip all my CDs as FLAC. Is MM Gold a good step?
I've recently download MMA onto X5 and managed to get some files (MP3) onto the internal memory, but can't yet get the other files (FLAC) onto the 2 cards. I'll keep trying if you advise it is worth the learning curve?
But, can you create a playlist in MM on pc and just sync it to X5 and not worry about which card/ internal memory hold the songs - will MMA just find the songs, or do you have to slog through them all manually and edit the path as suggested by Fiio with M3U Dropper, or do you organise your MM library to reflect your X5 storage & just create separate lists only for those songs on a designated memory?

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #6,322 of 15,899
  As of last night, I was sure I was going to get a X5 3rd Gen, but all the latest posts seem to be about firmware bugs. It's the reason I sold my X7. It seems like all FiiO's customers are Alpha/Beta testers!

Can anyone recommend a DAP up to £1000 that I should shortlist?

I have an iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black and Audioquest NightOwl Carbon headphones combination for home use, so that's pretty much sorted, but wanted to upgrade my portable setup of FiiO X5ii, Fidue A83 and Shure SE846.

So you want another DAP recommandation in the X5-3 thread?... Why tho?...

I think that X5-3 is the best smooth DAP out there. The best I heard anyways! And I heard Mojo, Hugo, even orpheus 2 full setup... 

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #6,323 of 15,899

I've got the free version of MM on my pc as I moved from iTunes when I decided to rip all my CDs as FLAC. Is MM Gold a good step?
I've recently download MMA onto X5 and managed to get some files (MP3) onto the internal memory, but can't yet get the other files (FLAC) onto the 2 cards. I'll keep trying if you advise it is worth the learning curve?
But, can you create a playlist in MM on pc and just sync it to X5 and not worry about which card/ internal memory hold the songs - will MMA just find the songs, or do you have to slog through them all manually and edit the path as suggested by Fiio with M3U Dropper, or do you organise your MM library to reflect your X5 storage & just create separate lists only for those songs on a designated memory?

I'm not sure that I can give you all of the answers that you seek. I don't do a lot with play lists so I have no idea if plays lists created in MM will "just work" on the X5III. I also only have one memory card in my X5III at the moment so I can't help there either.

I'll try messing around with a playlist or two tonight after work and let you know what I discover.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,324 of 15,899
One of the reaosns of the X5 III success is that thee is no competitor at this price point on the market now. So yes, there are bugs, yes we are all beta testers, but the pressure market is so strong that if Fiio released the X5 once all bugs are sorted out you would all have jumped on another product in the meanwhile. This is how things work in our market driven world.
I don't mind the bugs, the firmware has improved a lot, the MAJOR bugs were fixed, there are still a lot of minor and usability/stability bugs but when it happens, i just restart the player, put my cans on and go back on smiling at the sound.

Just a few years ago from now, audiophiles would fetish some DAPS that looked ugly and had barely usable interfaces.

Honestly, my phone ended its life with far more problems and less solutions than X5-3 got in less than a month! 

We're not beta testers, some people whine way too much! I had the chance to play with other 1000$ - 5000$ products and FiiO has one of the best customer care and response times I had ever seen. Regardless of price or anything... 

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,325 of 15,899

​I just created a playlist that has all the tunes on want on the SD card. Pretty simple. You can set up as many playlists as you need and send them to either card I believe although I have yet to need the second card. It's incredibly flexible. The free version does everything I need as I rip to flac. Seems like MP3 has a 30 day limit, not sure why.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #6,326 of 15,899
Of all the Fiio products I've owned I consider this to be the most mature. I don't use all the functions however so far I'm pleased with the ui.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #6,327 of 15,899

Then take that ..................   
very_evil_smiley.gif

I show you my rear-end !!

Man... Is that eye candy to the core or what.... 

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #6,328 of 15,899
Of all the Fiio products I've owned I consider this to be the most mature. I don't use all the functions however so far I'm pleased with the ui.

I had literally zero problems with my FiiO X5-2. IT doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but then again, neither do I need any of those! 

I think that besides the early days of X7 when it was a bit unstable, all FiiO DAPs work out very well and stable. At least they do for me (am I a magical DAP ferry>? Oh wait... Fairy?... No?... )

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #6,329 of 15,899
As i finally decided that i want it bad ... i am waiting friday to recive my new red fiio!!!!!!!
I have one first question thoug

Will the X5 drive my BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm ? or do i need additional an amp?

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #6,330 of 15,899

​I just created a playlist that has all the tunes on want on the SD card. Pretty simple. You can set up as many playlists as you need and send them to either card I believe although I have yet to need the second card. It's incredibly flexible. The free version does everything I need as I rip to flac. Seems like MP3 has a 30 day limit, not sure why.

​Thank you. When you get a chance, can you please try creating a playlist even with just 4 songs if you put 2 on the internal memory & the other 2 already on your sd card? Much appreciated. If it works seamlessly then I'll get the full versions (Gold + paid MMA) so that I can create smart playlists & work a bit hard / longer at getting the sync profiles right. I think paid MMA does wifi sync best after initial bulk usb upload? Also, I think MM EQ doesn't drop volume like Fiio Music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back