Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 25, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #5,971 of 15,899
Since mounting and scanning files is quite fast, I tend to remove the cards during updates, since it can make the player quite buggy.

I have been playing a bit with the Viper modules, and to be fair, their FireEQ is far better than stock EQ, mainly because despite the similarities, Viper's EQ has arrows to set up bands accurately.
FiiO EQ is a nightmare of imprecision due to the slider-only design...
I had to slightly elevate bass/sub-bass to get closer to Cayin N5 signature, since the base signature is a bit bass-light for my taste. Other DAPs using AKM4490 usually are warmer than the X5-iii, but this is a matter of taste in the end.

Another thing: the slider to navigate within a song is still buggy with the last firmware: before, you could only go forward, now you can TRY to go backwards, but it stops playing when you do this.
Also, it would be nice to make this slider thicker, it is hard to target with large fingers.

Last issue: I wanted to try connecting the DAP to my Mojo. Connected with a jack cable in Line/Coax input of the X5-iii. The DAP detected the connection, but I got no detection and no sound on the Mojo side. Connection with USB cable worked but with a lot of cracking noise during music playback.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #5,972 of 15,899
Another thing: the slider to navigate within a song is still buggy with the last firmware: before, you could only go forward, now you can TRY to go backwards, but it stops playing when you do this.
Also, it would be nice to make this slider thicker, it is hard to target with large fingers.

What files formats are you trying to scrub with the slider? I use ALAC and FLAC and it's always worked flawlessly for me (card are formatted FAT32 and using PCM 16/44.1 - 24/192). Even the DSD64-128 I have scrubs without any issues. Also, you don't have to press only the thin line in the higher contrast theme. Just like the blue theme, you only need to press within the bar with the track name/number and artist name, meaning a wide area above the thin blue/green progress bar.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #5,973 of 15,899
What files formats are you trying to scrub with the slider? I use ALAC and FLAC and it's always worked flawlessly for me (card are formatted FAT32 and using PCM 16/44.1 - 24/192). Even the DSD64-128 I have scrubs without any issues. Also, you don't have to press only the thin line in the higher contrast theme. Just like the blue theme, you only need to press within the bar with the track name/number and artist name, meaning a wide area above the thin blue/green progress bar.

I mostly used FLAC files in the internal memory. I've just loaded MP3s and a few higher-res FLAC, I'll try again tonight.

I know the zone you can press is larger than the tiny progress bar, but this bar should just be broader, like on most other music apps, where you can hold a dot on the bar and make it slide left or right easily.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #5,974 of 15,899
  ...Next steps for me: 

1. USB debugging
  2. Rooting attempts (Should be easy with an old insecure android)
  3. Greenify the device for battery optimizations
  4. Test audio (Will post impressions and pics once I'm done) 

I just got the Red version and I also agree it's gorgeous!

Anyway, somebody's already rooted it over at the fiio forums:

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41935

Also, I can confirm the above works as I just rooted it tonight because I couldn't get Google Play Music to recognise my sdcard for downloading music for offline playback. Probably unnecessary and it was just my fault, but the temptation to root it was just too great!

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #5,975 of 15,899

Might pay t directly email FiiO support.  I agree - it does not seem normal.  i've been using the X5iii longer than most of you, and I haven't had any crashes.  Use it a lot too.

I was pretty close behind you and have never had a crash.
Never had a song skip or freeze.

My biggest issue is the lyric search database is touch and no.
If that's my biggest complaint...I'm doing fine
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW
I never use OTA after first 55 tries on 1.1.1
That would make me go mental so I just download and drag and drop. I expect they will fix the bandwidth/system to meet the demand soon

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #5,977 of 15,899
Depends very much on what module you are using on X7 and what your preferences are. EG - if you wanted a leaner linear signature, the X7 + AM1 might suit you better.

But so far as an all in one, I prefer the X5iii over the X7 for portable use.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #5,978 of 15,899

​I just sold my Metal OPUS which is a unit between the #1 and the #2 in price but sonics are the best of the 3 IMO.
 I cannot say anything bad about the unit. Fantastic sound. The U.I. was pretty basic.
I can kick the i5 by Cayin and Dx200 from ibasso as they are pretty poor devices IMO. Pink Floyd via EX1000 sounded fantastic on OPUS and congested on i5 and ipodish in DX.

The X5iii was bought (this story was already shared) to pinch the hype using my OPUS as the hype killer.
Then the device started and so did my love for it. The DX200 came in and it's stunningly poor replay was the new focus. The OPUS got lost in the mix. I did a comparison that now has more views than any D vid on the net...pretty sure.

The OPUS is fine and folks that say otherwise are axe grinding.
The X5iii is outstanding and folks that say they don't like it? fine (opinion)... it is poor? are axe grinding.

I just sold one and kept the other.

I live in Japan and can hear whatever I want at anytime.

The TOTL for me that nobody uses cuz Sony is an ultra pain in the azz is the PHA-3 (The only balanced out that ever sounded different from the SE on any device I ever heard) so that beast stays forever. For portable I chose the X5iii

Love the X5iii.
I was a guy looking to do a vid and see what the building hype was about and if it was hype in my mind...I was going to throw cold water on faces and enjoy it.
I'm a dick like that.

But the X5iii sounds fantastic.

Ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

“And what is good,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?”​

Listen for yourself.
Everybody
including me are at various levels of  "Full of crap"
If you can't listen for yourself....choose the most charismatic conman and pray for luck
wink.gif

Hi!  What specifically about the X5 3 sound do you prefer over your sold Opus 1 Metal?  Did you like the firmware and UI better on the X5 3 as well.  I am interested in your opinion on them.

Regards

Riley

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #5,979 of 15,899
Hi there,

I got my X5III on Thursday...Loving it so far!

Is there any advantage to using the Fiio music player vs a third-party one? I'm thinking of using Rocket Player in conjunction with iSyncr to keep ratings and playcounts in sync with my iTunes library.

I have played with both, and can't see a reason to stick with the stock player...but wondering if I'm missing anything?

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #5,980 of 15,899
Just the Viper effects.  They are embedded in the FiiO app.  if you don't use them - then yes, any other app will be OK.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #5,981 of 15,899
Hi there,

I got my X5III on Thursday...Loving it so far!

Is there any advantage to using the Fiio music player vs a third-party one? I'm thinking of using Rocket Player in conjunction with iSyncr to keep ratings and playcounts in sync with my iTunes library.

I have played with both, and can't see a reason to stick with the stock player...but wondering if I'm missing anything?

Just the Viper effects.  They are embedded in the FiiO app.  if you don't use them - then yes, any other app will be OK.

And the play/pause - fwd - rewind hardware button

As of firmware 1.1.3, they only work with Fiio player, when I'm using Neutron pressing forward/rewind will only speed up the song tempo (as in songs will play like twice the normal speed)

Haven't tried with FW 1.1.4

Not that much of a problem when you put the dap on the table or something, but really PITA when you walk around with dap in your pocket and you want to skip to the next song or something similar

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #5,982 of 15,899
And the play/pause - fwd - rewind hardware button

As of firmware 1.1.3, they only work with Fiio player, when I'm using Neutron pressing forward/rewind will only speed up the song tempo (as in songs will play like twice the normal speed)

Haven't tried with FW 1.1.4

Not that much of a problem when you put the dap on the table or something, but really PITA when you walk around with dap in your pocket and you want to skip to the next song or something similar

The hardware buttons work fine with Rocket Player on 1.1.3 as far as I can tell.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #5,984 of 15,899

FiiO releases new firmware FW1.1.4 for X5 3rd gen

(...)
Hereby, we would like to listen to your opinions on how we should update our firmware: 
  • Keep up the current update frequency
  • One/two month a update

(...)

Hello,

Thank you very much for theses firmwares. You were so quick to fix both Album Art ID3 tag problem (1.1.3) and wrong track number display (1.1.4), which were important issues for me.
In my opinion, while bugs are still found by your teams and "enthusiasts earlier adopters" (like us), you should keep up the current update frequency.
If some X5 III users don't want to update frequently, they just have to disable "update notification"
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back