FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 15, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #6,061 of 7,088
  What happens, as far as I know, is that when you plug your ipod into the computer, you can pull up the scrobbler program and choose "scrobble manually" from the choice of an ipod. And when you click scrobble manually, it will scrobble the most recently played tracks on your ipod. The ipod does not have connection to the internet, and as far as I know it doesn't even have a special program associated with last.fm built into it. It simply keeps track of the music that it plays, and somehow the scrobbler program (which is a downloadable program which can also scrobble from most media players) connects to it and scrobbles the plays.

This would be an extremely fortunate edition to have to the fiio, as a person who takes logging my music listening history very seriously. I have gone about the past week without scrobbling anything from the music I have been listening to lately, and it's disconcerting. 

While X5 series clearly cannot scrobble, it does come to me as a mystery as to why would you want to do that? 

It's mostly tracking your own listening habits, isn't that something you should be paying attention to or know? 

I mean,... you can probably do this while you're using X5 as a DAC and play music through your music player on PC, but while portable, you should know what folders you go into and what you listen to. 

If your profile name has any connection with your listening habits and you do listen to vocaloid, it makes slightly more sense to want scrobble as to sort out what songs you like and what songs you don't, especially if you don't speak / write / read Japanese well. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #6,062 of 7,088

While X5 series clearly cannot scrobble, it does come to me as a mystery as to why would you want to do that? 

It's mostly tracking your own listening habits, isn't that something you should be paying attention to or know? 

I mean,... you can probably do this while you're using X5 as a DAC and play music through your music player on PC, but while portable, you should know what folders you go into and what you listen to. 

If your profile name has any connection with your listening habits and you do listen to vocaloid, it makes slightly more sense to want scrobble as to sort out what songs you like and what songs you don't, especially if you don't speak / write / read Japanese well. 

I like vocaloid, and I like shoegaze, post punk, post rock, death metal, black metal, sludge metal, thrash metal, doom metal, crust punk, gothic rock, classical music, experimental, alternative rock, electronic, industrial, power electronics, death industrial, noise, twee, folk, neofolk, folk punk, hip hop, emo, ambient, slowcore, drone, jazz, and many, many more genres besides those. 

I don't feel have to defend why I care so much about tracking my listening habits other than to say, ahem, that it's my deeply held personal belief. I value keeping track of what I listen to, and that is all I will say about it. However, it seems that there's nothing that can be done about the scrobbling issue.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #6,063 of 7,088
  I like vocaloid, and I like shoegaze, post punk, post rock, death metal, black metal, sludge metal, thrash metal, doom metal, crust punk, gothic rock, classical music, experimental, alternative rock, electronic, industrial, power electronics, death industrial, noise, twee, folk, neofolk, folk punk, hip hop, emo, ambient, slowcore, drone, jazz, and many, many more genres besides those. 

I don't feel have to defend why I care so much about tracking my listening habits other than to say, ahem, that it's my deeply held personal belief. I value keeping track of what I listen to, and that is all I will say about it. However, it seems that there's nothing that can be done about the scrobbling issue.

If keeping track is so important and scrobbling seems to be the way to go, before you got the Fiio why didnt you research this to see if you could actually do it with this player? I only ask as someone who has never heard of scrobble before and am curious if this is something that a lot of these standalone audio players are capable of now or is just primarily Apple? 

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #6,065 of 7,088

I was mostly curious why you want that feature, as this is the first time I actually heard about it existing. I am writing a software for music playback and never heard of this. Well, creating an output log that is user readable is not magic on pc software, but for a small device that dedicates it's entire existence to playing music, it might be on a lower importance level for the user base than something like better SQ or better UI and such..

You gotta check Utsu-P and Ookame-P if you're into metal genera and vocaloid. I think you would have a lot of fun!

If keeping track is so important and scrobbling seems to be the way to go, before you got the Fiio why didnt you research this to see if you could actually do it with this player? I only ask as someone who has never heard of scrobble before and am curious if this is something that a lot of these standalone audio players are capable of now or is just primarily Apple? 

And this is one of the reasons I've asked. 

This is literally the first time I heard about this feature and it made me curious.

I've owned a few DAPs over time and none could do this, and all of them had different operating systems embedded. 

Must be a generation thing.

I'm not even on Facebook.

Like any engine / device FB can be used for more than one thing. 

I see some potential in scrobbling if someone would want to have a too large collection, not know what's inside and then synthetically repeat 6-10 times a song to keep in mind that a band or a song is good. I think X5ii had a rating system to help with this, but I'm not sure. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #6,067 of 7,088
  If I were to get a portable dac/amp to go along with my x5 2nd gen could I output sound through the micro usb port? The Amp/Dac that im looking at only has usb in and no 3.5mm :frowning2:

Hi, thatguyuphigh
The USB port of X5II is transmitting signal only when combining with our K5 or DK1. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 17, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #6,069 of 7,088
Originally Posted by thatguyuphigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is this due to hardware limitations or is it just the companies decision? One thing I find with DAPs is that very few quality ones, within a reasonable price range, don't have audio out of usb. 

Hi, thatguyuphigh
Sorry, this function is not designed for the X5II. The digital signal can't transmit via USB port. So it may be not compatible with the DAC you prefer.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 17, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #6,070 of 7,088
I should have the Fiio A5 early next week so I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it will be vs the onboard amp as it has twice the power output. I think the A5 has almost as much power as my S.M.S.L. sAp III desktop amp. I love the signature of the X5II so I hope with the A5 my Elear sounds as good as it does with the sAp III and Fiio K5.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #6,071 of 7,088
So I have been using this now for 6 months or so and am pretty impressed. A few minor bugbears though:

1. Copying songs over from an ITunes folder results in all songs being described first by track number rather than by name which makes searching pretty useless. Any ideas how I can change the way they are stored?

2. Charging seems to switch it off unles it is playing at the same time, which because of 3 below means you cannot pick up where you left off

3. When it switches off and or switched on against starts from scratch rather than picking up where you left off.

4. My battery life feels short - it seems to go from half a bar to zero pretty quickly.

To be honest it is the first of these that I find most irritating.

But as I say this is gene really a damned good product.

hi there
all of the above mentioned are  - unfortunately -  true.
Actually this is my first portable player other than ipods (I've used 3 ipods so far)  and I can tell you that x5ii is better only in one thing : Sound quality. Which is very important actually.
ALL other features are  inferior than those of  ANY ipod.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #6,072 of 7,088
  Hi. So I got your product and there's a few things I would like to comment on and suggest. I think the interface unusable, which could be easily fixed. I have several thousand albums and artists in this thing, and over 30,000 songs, and it takes forever for it to scroll. If it was separated by the first letter of the alphabet, and then the artist or album or song, then that would make it extremely easier to browse the files. Also, it would be wonderful if this thing had scrobbling capability. But yeah, it takes a very, very long time to even scroll through the artists. I would very much appreciate if you released a patch to fix this, thank you. 

I do like a lot of things about it; the two sd card capacity, the high bit rate capability, the two headphone jacks, the pretty metal design. 

It would also be helpful if the genre was sorted by artist > album > song, instead of having all of the songs clumped together. 

Thank you!

Hi
Welcome to the club. Same issues here.
The only reason I've not sell it yet is the awesome sound quality !

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,073 of 7,088

Yeah someone posted this awhile back in this thread

About Tagging...

Apple goes above and beyond making music management difficult.
I was stunned when I made a small collection of music for my sick brother and he told me he couldn't add it to his I-pod without erasing what's already on.
Not only does Apple hide the music files (without their system) but when you force your PC to show hidden files you get just a bunch of random numbers.
This is why there's third party applications to handle your music for the I-Pod

I HATE Apple as much as Sony.

I absolutely agree with you about the apple comments.
But we all have to agree that the are the best in developing the best user friendly interfaces.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #6,074 of 7,088

No, it's not just about knowing your habits (nor can you possibly know it off the top of your head if you listen to a variety of music - I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people think that they know their habits and don't.) 

Plus, it can give you recommendations, LastFM can help you discover new music based on those listening habits. 

It's definitely more valuable if you use a streaming service, but if you sometimes use a streaming service, and sometimes don't, then your results get skewed (which is what happens to me) because the stuff that I own and play as such doesn't get Scrobbled, so I get less relevant recommendations. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #6,075 of 7,088

No, it's not just about knowing your habits (nor can you possibly know it off the top of your head if you listen to a variety of music - I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people think that they know their habits and don't.) 

Plus, it can give you recommendations, LastFM can help you discover new music based on those listening habits. 

It's definitely more valuable if you use a streaming service, but if you sometimes use a streaming service, and sometimes don't, then your results get skewed (which is what happens to me) because the stuff that I own and play as such doesn't get Scrobbled, so I get less relevant recommendations. 

It sounds more like a method to get you to buy more music based on your own listening habits.  Just going by what you are saying, I could be listening to Van Halen for a week straight and scrobbling would take that info and recommend similar artist.  I could see good and bad with this.  More bad if you are an impulse buyer.  I see no benefit to use something like this for myself, but I can see where some people might enjoy it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back