FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 12, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #6,046 of 7,088

Yeah someone posted this awhile back in this thread

About Tagging...

Apple goes above and beyond making music management difficult.
I was stunned when I made a small collection of music for my sick brother and he told me he couldn't add it to his I-pod without erasing what's already on.
Not only does Apple hide the music files (without their system) but when you force your PC to show hidden files you get just a bunch of random numbers.
This is why there's third party applications to handle your music for the I-Pod

I HATE Apple as much as Sony.

Yeah apple really sucks. I remember how horrible itunes was, where it would make you re-add music to your library if you move it or change the file name. And how it would erase data from your thing if you put it on another itunes program. It really was a piece of crap software. Itunes and their proprietary software suck. 

Mod edit - removed profanity

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #6,047 of 7,088
  Yeah apple really sucks. I remember how horrible itunes was, where it would make you re-add music to your library if you move it or change the file name. And how it would erase data from your thing if you put it on another itunes program. It really was a piece of crap software. Itunes and their proprietary ******** suck. 

I agree so I use this now. It works for music and ringtones.

http://www.copytrans.net/

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #6,051 of 7,088

I've no idea what scrobble is . Or what are you trying to do in there. 

Part of the appeal of Web 2.0 is to find other people who share similar interests, herin lies the meaning of "scrobbling." To "scrobble" a song means that when you listen to it, the name of the song is sent to a Web site (for example, Last.fm) and added to your music profile. Here's how it works: Once you've signed up and downloaded Last.fm, you can scrobble songs you listen to on your computer or iPod automatically. As a social network, once you start scrobbling yourself, you can see what artists you really listen to the most, view your listening habits on your profile page, and allow others to see your tastes in music. Companies (such as Last.fm) use this data to organize and recommend music to people, to create personalized radio stations, and to see what other users listened to the most. - See more at: http://www.netlingo.com/word/scrobble.php#sthash.uN2AxrJs.dpuf

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #6,052 of 7,088
Thanks for the description. From that it follows that a device needs an internet connection to scrobble.  . No way to transmit the information to the Web without one. I guess it also follows that, since the X5ii has no internet connection capabilities, it cannot scrobble. I think this was mentioned on a couple of occasions already. I guess VocaloidDude missed those responses . I hope this answers the question. If he is using the same definition of the word scrobble, that is.

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #6,053 of 7,088
  Part of the appeal of Web 2.0 is to find other people who share similar interests, herin lies the meaning of "scrobbling." To "scrobble" a song means that when you listen to it, the name of the song is sent to a Web site (for example, Last.fm) and added to your music profile. Here's how it works: Once you've signed up and downloaded Last.fm, you can scrobble songs you listen to on your computer or iPod automatically. As a social network, once you start scrobbling yourself, you can see what artists you really listen to the most, view your listening habits on your profile page, and allow others to see your tastes in music. Companies (such as Last.fm) use this data to organize and recommend music to people, to create personalized radio stations, and to see what other users listened to the most. - See more at: http://www.netlingo.com/word/scrobble.php#sthash.uN2AxrJs.dpuf

I see;

This is why id didn't make sense that a completely offline device like X5ii could be considered for scrobbling. 

Also, I see no point in this, seems rather bad for the listener, or more agreeing or self invested telemetry. 

I have my collections stored in FLAC, and search for music and new music the hard way. I tried last.fm and all other sources for music. Recommending me to listen to protest the hero, pierce the veil, la dispute, and say, silverstein isn't going to cut it for me. Those bands have nothing in common and the other bands they were recommended with, had even less in common. But those bands I actually liked. Kinda like google, letting google know too much about you is detrimental to research, it keeps you in a bubble of knowledge. I am literally using google.jp or google. anything else just to shuffle and get better results for what I search. 

But yes, an offline player shouldn't be able to do that. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #6,055 of 7,088
Quite simply, the X5ii is not a smartphone or a device that can add apps. This is the reason you'll never see Scrobbling on it.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #6,056 of 7,088
I'm still in the early stages of using my X5ii.  I know there will be no more FW updates (boo), but the only two (minor) niggles I have so far are; playing my library on shuffle isn't 'shuffle-y' enough.  Whilst my high res collection isn't huge (about 900 and something songs at the moment), it did only seem to shuffle between about 6-10 albums  Are there any fixes or work around for this?  Also (and this is minor) when my battery got low the player just switched itself off.  At first i didn't know if my IEMs had been pulled out or if the unit had died or what!  I'm surprised there aren't any 'low battery warning' beeps. Is this something I've missed in the settings? 

Other than that I love the thing and can't wait to explore more music on it!

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #6,057 of 7,088
  You don't have to have wifi to scrobble, on the ipod it records the thing in a text file or whatever and it reads it. 

Then scrobbling is done through itunes when you sync or add/remove music from your ipod?  I have no clue is why I'm asking.  Regardless, the X5II would not be capable because there is no app or software used with it that would do what itunes does, nor does it create a text file of your listening habits.  TBH, I think you are the first person to bring this up.  It would be pretty cool to track listening habits though.  I'd be all over the place..lol

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,058 of 7,088
  I'm still in the early stages of using my X5ii.  I know there will be no more FW updates (boo), but the only two (minor) niggles I have so far are; playing my library on shuffle isn't 'shuffle-y' enough.  Whilst my high res collection isn't huge (about 900 and something songs at the moment), it did only seem to shuffle between about 6-10 albums  Are there any fixes or work around for this?  Also (and this is minor) when my battery got low the player just switched itself off.  At first i didn't know if my IEMs had been pulled out or if the unit had died or what!  I'm surprised there aren't any 'low battery warning' beeps. Is this something I've missed in the settings? 

Other than that I love the thing and can't wait to explore more music on it!

Hi, Will1000
Thank you for your feedback to us. There is 'low battery warning' for the X5II. Maybe you miss it when the tip raises. You can try to update the firmware to see whether it helps.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #6,059 of 7,088
  Then scrobbling is done through itunes when you sync or add/remove music from your ipod?  I have no clue is why I'm asking.  Regardless, the X5II would not be capable because there is no app or software used with it that would do what itunes does, nor does it create a text file of your listening habits.  TBH, I think you are the first person to bring this up.  It would be pretty cool to track listening habits though.  I'd be all over the place..lol

What happens, as far as I know, is that when you plug your ipod into the computer, you can pull up the scrobbler program and choose "scrobble manually" from the choice of an ipod. And when you click scrobble manually, it will scrobble the most recently played tracks on your ipod. The ipod does not have connection to the internet, and as far as I know it doesn't even have a special program associated with last.fm built into it. It simply keeps track of the music that it plays, and somehow the scrobbler program (which is a downloadable program which can also scrobble from most media players) connects to it and scrobbles the plays.

This would be an extremely fortunate edition to have to the fiio, as a person who takes logging my music listening history very seriously. I have gone about the past week without scrobbling anything from the music I have been listening to lately, and it's disconcerting. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #6,060 of 7,088
  What happens, as far as I know, is that when you plug your ipod into the computer, you can pull up the scrobbler program and choose "scrobble manually" from the choice of an ipod. And when you click scrobble manually, it will scrobble the most recently played tracks on your ipod. The ipod does not have connection to the internet, and as far as I know it doesn't even have a special program associated with last.fm built into it. It simply keeps track of the music that it plays, and somehow the scrobbler program (which is a downloadable program which can also scrobble from most media players) connects to it and scrobbles the plays.

This would be an extremely fortunate edition to have to the fiio, as a person who takes logging my music listening history very seriously. I have gone about the past week without scrobbling anything from the music I have been listening to lately, and it's disconcerting. 

Sounds like it's an app/feature associated with the ipod/itunes if I'm understanding you correctly.  If that's the case, then the X5II isn't capable of scrobbling.  There is no apps or media management software made for the X5II.  It's all drag and drop/copy and paste.  Only the user can track their listening habits.  Very neat thing I knew nothing about.  Thanks explaining it for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back