FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 17, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #5,852 of 7,088
Tinnitus has been ruining music for me these last few weeks. When a high noise floor is something that just lives in your head, it sucks. I'm envious of people who can hear subtle differences.

I feel for you.
For a while now I've been suffering from the 1K-3K region being too sharp.
The EQ is one of the reasons I moved from the Pono to the Fiio.
I can dial down the offending frequencies.

At first  thought it was ear damage until I learned it is brought on by a medication I take.

Edit...btw~I wasn't comparing my problem with yours.
I've had a high pitch noise much like an electronic kettle whistle from time to time.
But it rarely happens and only lasts for about an hour.
I can only imagine what you must be going through.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #5,853 of 7,088
Hi there
I recently (4 days) bought fiio x5 2nd gen to replace my IPOD 160GB 7th Gen which was had it's battery ruined by Rockbox and also did not like its musical fidelity very much.
I will focus on the negative things of FIIO that really need improvement to make it work.
I'm sure all or most of the following have been mentioned before but I'd like to sum it up for future reference.

1. Scrolling Wheel no Accelerating Future. This is the 1st thing that I noticed. I have almost 30000 tracks loaded on 2X 128 GB cards and we all know it's practically impossible to browse it.
Alphabetical Search is a small improvement but I cannot compare it to the IPOD (original firmware or RBed) search.
2. Compilations support ! We really need the "Album Artist" ("Various Artists" for Compilations , same as artist for regular albums) feature that exists in Rockbox or the Compilation feature of Apple original Firmware. Otherwise Artist search is a pain in the ass if you have a lot of compilations. It should support the Compilation mp3 Tag.
3. "The" article solution in artists
4. Browse by Year (and then Artist - Album) feature whould be a nice improvement
5. Add Artist and then  Album  in browse by genre
6. When I connect device in PC in order to charge it I cannot use the device menu anymore.
7. Library update should be quicker. It should detect the changes and only add-remove new or deleted tracks
8. Use unicode fonts in order to support non-latin (some greek artists -albums in my case) characters which now show in Chinese!. I mean this is a player made in 2015 not only for English music but the whole world.
9. Very slow file transfer in USB mode. I have to remove the cards and use i card reader to transfer.
10. Relatively slow response in menu (compared toIPOD original firmware).

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,854 of 7,088
  Hi there
I recently (4 days) bought fiio x5 2nd gen to replace my IPOD 160GB 7th Gen which was had it's battery ruined by Rockbox and also did not like its musical fidelity very much.
I will focus on the negative things of FIIO that really need improvement to make it work.
I'm sure all or most of the following have been mentioned before but I'd like to sum it up for future reference.

1. Scrolling Wheel no Accelerating Future. This is the 1st thing that I noticed. I have almost 30000 tracks loaded on 2X 128 GB cards and we all know it's practically impossible to browse it.
Alphabetical Search is a small improvement but I cannot compare it to the IPOD (original firmware or RBed) search.
2. Compilations support ! We really need the "Album Artist" ("Various Artists" for Compilations , same as artist for regular albums) feature that exists in Rockbox or the Compilation feature of Apple original Firmware. Otherwise Artist search is a pain in the ass if you have a lot of compilations. It should support the Compilation mp3 Tag.
4. Browse by Year (and then Artist - Album) feature whould be a nice improvement
6. When I connect device in PC in order to charge it I cannot use the device menu anymore.
7. Library update should be quicker. It should detect the changes and only add-remove new or deleted tracks
8. Use unicode fonts in order to support non-latin (some greek artists -albums in my case) characters which now show in Chinese!. I mean this is a player made in 2015 not only for English music but the whole world.
9. Very slow file transfer in USB mode. I have to remove the cards and use i card reader to transfer.

Not trying to sound rude, but none of these things will be addressed by FiiO.  The X5II is running on the final firmware so unless a bug is detected, nothing is going to change.  With that said, there are programs out there that can help you with your file tags to straighten up some of your browsing issues.  It will scroll as fast as you can turn the wheel.  I have just as many tracks as you on mine, however I use folder browsing and have my folder directory set up by genre, artist, albums.  I'm a listen to album guy so I don't even worry about updating the media library nor do I use category browsing.  In folder browsing, it plays the folder however you set it up so your compilations would play correctly there if I'm reading your issue correctly.  The only way you can use it while charging is to use a wall charger.  The X5II defaults to a mass storage device or USB DAC when connected to a PC.  It's USB 2.o, so yes it's slow for file transfers.  You're already using a card reader so I can't make any other suggestion there.  When you put a lot of files on the device, along with album art, and whatever other tags you have, the device will slow down, but speaking from experience with the X5II, it's not that slow IMO considering what I have on mine.  YMMV

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #5,856 of 7,088
  Hi there

1. That's a really large collection

2. Please explain more in detail! We have shuffle function [?] 

3. Most people like it better this way, makes more sense for some bands. 

4. But Why?... 

5. Yeah, that would be cool!

6. You can just press back and use it,

7. That's dependent on the hardware, and sincerely, I don't even update that library. But yeah, faster update and those would be cool. Have to mention though, my flagship smartphone takes 5 - 10 minutes after inserting the microSD before letting me use it. Otherwise I get random pauses in play, so it's not strictly a Fiio thing. 

8. I can see characters from all languages so far (Big Japanese music fan here! Even Japanese metal!), but this can be repaired with custom UIs I think. 

9. I wish for better transfer rates too. I wonder why they are like this. 

10. Custom UIs! Some of the custom UIs make it more responsive than ipods or any other DAP I ever held in my hand! 

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #5,857 of 7,088
I do not understand why the audio files on PC have covers, on fiio some will some do not have covers.

Embedded vs cover in folder.

You need to copy cover,.jpg inside folders in X5ii to have cover art, and I strongly recommend .jpg image in folders better than using embedded since embedded cover art can slow the DAP down.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,858 of 7,088

I do not understand why the audio files on PC have covers, on fiio some will some do not have covers.

Embedded vs cover in folder.

You need to copy cover,.jpg inside folders in X5ii to have cover art, and I strongly recommend .jpg image in folders better than using embedded since embedded cover art can slow the DAP down.

cover embedded in the files as you do?

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,859 of 7,088
I always edit my covers with paint.net to ensure important parts are shown.
I even make custom covers for my personal collections like a "Best of..."
I then tag with MP3Tag.

I find MP3Tag essential.

About the drawbacks of the player for some.
There's no such thing as a device that will please everyone...especially at the X5ii price.

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #5,861 of 7,088
  I always edit my covers with paint.net to ensure important parts are shown.
I even make custom covers for my personal collections like a "Best of..."
I then tag with MP3Tag.

I find MP3Tag essential.

About the drawbacks of the player for some.
There's no such thing as a device that will please everyone...especially at the X5ii price.

Agreed!!!  Mp3tag is a must.  I use it religiously for tagging all of my flac and mp3s.  Not everyone uses it, but I love foobar2000 as well for ripping and converting. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #5,864 of 7,088

1. That's a really large collection

2. Please explain more in detail! We have shuffle function [?] 

3. Most people like it better this way, makes more sense for some bands. 

4. But Why?... 

5. Yeah, that would be cool!

6. You can just press back and use it,

7. That's dependent on the hardware, and sincerely, I don't even update that library. But yeah, faster update and those would be cool. Have to mention though, my flagship smartphone takes 5 - 10 minutes after inserting the microSD before letting me use it. Otherwise I get random pauses in play, so it's not strictly a Fiio thing. 

8. I can see characters from all languages so far (Big Japanese music fan here! Even Japanese metal!), but this can be repaired with custom UIs I think. 

9. I wish for better transfer rates too. I wonder why they are like this. 

10. Custom UIs! Some of the custom UIs make it more responsive than ipods or any other DAP I ever held in my hand! 

1. Yes it is. But I believe that supporting 256 GB storage means exactly that. That your device has to be able to manage so many tracks.
2. There are these 3 fields in an mp3tag : Artist, album artist, compilation (checkbox).
In a normal album that is of ONE artist the fields ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST have the same content (the name of the artist). The field COMPILATION is unchecked (NO).
In a compilation album where each song is by another artist, the field ARTIST has artist's name for each song, the field ALBUM ARTIST has the value "VARIOUS ARTISTS" and the COMPILATION field is checked (YES).
So, imagine having this music collection : 20 Albums of 20 Artists and 2 Compilation Albums with 20 Songs each . That means that the total artists showed in FIIO is 20 (for "normal albums") + 40 (2 * 20) artists of the 2 compilations = 60. So fiio shows 60 artists where actually only 20 of them have an individual album while the rest only have ONE song.
If FIIO had the option to "also" browse by ALBUM ARTIST it would be easy for the user to automatically rule out the 40 Compilation Artists (they will all be included in a single entry "VARIOUS ARTISTS") and only search within the MAIN 20 artists.
3.I accept that some users may like this but I know for a fact that when I visit a record shop and looking for a rolling stones album I will certainly find it in the R section and not in the T section. So at least there should be an option to "remove" "THE" article or show it at the end (eg Rolling Stones, The) .
4.For me browsing 30000 songs means that I don not only remember what I have in my collection. So it is practical to "let's say" choose 2016 in order to search this years realeases (which I do NOT remember).
6. GREAT thanks. Is this undocumented ?
7. they should make updating smarter. Now every time it will index every time all the files even though I may have added only 10 files.
8. I can guarantee you that it does not support all characters (for sure Greek ones) . I will try alternative themes (but will not try to build my own though), but they SHOULD FIX THIS ASAP.
9. I know for a fact that they cannot fix this because it has to to with the hardware used. It has nothing to do with the USB 2.0 as fourrobert13  mentioned above. I can leave with that but I mention it because I believe that they should not have used such cheap hardware.
10. I intend to use them. Would you recommend one (2.1 FW based )?

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #5,865 of 7,088
  Not trying to sound rude, but none of these things will be addressed by FiiO.  The X5II is running on the final firmware so unless a bug is detected, nothing is going to change.  With that said, there are programs out there that can help you with your file tags to straighten up some of your browsing issues.  It will scroll as fast as you can turn the wheel.  I have just as many tracks as you on mine, however I use folder browsing and have my folder directory set up by genre, artist, albums.  I'm a listen to album guy so I don't even worry about updating the media library nor do I use category browsing.  In folder browsing, it plays the folder however you set it up so your compilations would play correctly there if I'm reading your issue correctly.  The only way you can use it while charging is to use a wall charger.  The X5II defaults to a mass storage device or USB DAC when connected to a PC.  It's USB 2.o, so yes it's slow for file transfers.  You're already using a card reader so I can't make any other suggestion there.  When you put a lot of files on the device, along with album art, and whatever other tags you have, the device will slow down, but speaking from experience with the X5II, it's not that slow IMO considering what I have on mine.  YMMV

1. How do you know that FIIO fro a fact is not willing to improve anything. It is only 1year model.
2.My tags are as perfect as they should be. I've spend enormous amount of time on tagging. they even have reviews in comments .Re-organising my Hard Disk is not a solution. It will take time and effort not needed. My hard disk is as it should be. I'm using Media Monkey to browse my collection and have no issue at all.
3. "Scroll as fast as you can" :You're joking of course.
4. Compilations. I want to be able to search Rolling Stones and to find only Rolling Stones Albums and not "scattered compilation" (various artists) tracks performed by the rolling stones
5. Browse while connected to PC : It has been answered . Just press the back button it it works.
6. File trasfer is slow because of hardware used not because of USB 2.0 USB 2.0 can go up to 30 MB/s and file transfer through fiio is 5MB/s
7. Devise should not slow beacuse of the number of files and tags, It has its own  database for that . Have you never used an IPOD ? Even IPOD 3nd Gen (back from 2003) browses very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back