FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #5,071 of 7,088
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/41/comparisons

Everything is in the tables

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #5,072 of 7,088

Thanks Relic and howdy for your replies:

1  the problem started when I was updating library.  all went well till the end and then it seemed to freeze.  I shut it down and restarted - no music there. so I took the microsds out and tried again.  from then on it has been freezing everytime I restart it.  the microsds were at that point still seen by my laptop and had all the music on them.  when I retired the microsds and tried updating the library again it froze on "No0Songs".
2  I have tried the power off for ten seconds reset but that does not seem to achieve anything.  I have tried taking the microsds out checking them on the laptop (still recognised and read at that point and full of music) and putting them back in but couldn't get past a freeze.  I tried restoring factory settings a couple of times but at first it achieved nothing and then it froze doing that - in fact I left it in its frozen position overnight hoping it would either come to life or drain the battery and I could start again but when I looked again this morning it was still stuck in its frozen position.
3  I cannot see any pinhole on  the x5ii and the manual doesn't identify one.  is there some other mechanism for effecting a system reset on the x5ii.  would reinstalling the firmware (if it allows me to) effectively reset it?
4  the microsds were readable by my laptop until I formatted them in the X5ii (this was one function that didn't seem to freeze).  they appeared to empty the microsds of music but now when I put them into my laptop using an SD adapter the laptop does not even recognise that anything has been plugged in
5  it is possible that the microsds were taken out while the X5II was trying to access the data even though it appeared frozen.  If corrupted is there anything I can do?  how do I check if they are corrupted.

As I said before any help/advice available to this ignorant amateur gratefully received.....

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #5,073 of 7,088
Thanks Relic and howdy for your replies:

1  the problem started when I was updating library.  all went well till the end and then it seemed to freeze.  I shut it down and restarted - no music there. so I took the microsds out and tried again.  from then on it has been freezing everytime I restart it.  the microsds were at that point still seen by my laptop and had all the music on them.  when I retired the microsds and tried updating the library again it froze on "No0Songs".
2  I have tried the power off for ten seconds reset but that does not seem to achieve anything.  I have tried taking the microsds out checking them on the laptop (still recognised and read at that point and full of music) and putting them back in but couldn't get past a freeze.  I tried restoring factory settings a couple of times but at first it achieved nothing and then it froze doing that - in fact I left it in its frozen position overnight hoping it would either come to life or drain the battery and I could start again but when I looked again this morning it was still stuck in its frozen position.
3  I cannot see any pinhole on  the x5ii and the manual doesn't identify one.  is there some other mechanism for effecting a system reset on the x5ii.  would reinstalling the firmware (if it allows me to) effectively reset it?
4  the microsds were readable by my laptop until I formatted them in the X5ii (this was one function that didn't seem to freeze).  they appeared to empty the microsds of music but now when I put them into my laptop using an SD adapter the laptop does not even recognise that anything has been plugged in
5  it is possible that the microsds were taken out while the X5II was trying to access the data even though it appeared frozen.  If corrupted is there anything I can do?  how do I check if they are corrupted.

As I said before any help/advice available to this ignorant amateur gratefully received.....

Thanks for the detailed reply, it helps to figure things out. First of all I'm not affiliated with FiiO in any way and I would suggest contacting them regardless. What you describe sounds like the card(s) were corrupted if you are unable to read them on a PC anymore. Whether they were corrupted by the X5ii itself, or at some point when removing them, or they aren't legit cards. This 'missing data' has been seen a lot with fake cards. I'm not saying you have fake cards, I'm saying it sounds like the same symptoms. I would suggest trying a different card if you can.

Does the X5ii operate at all with no cards in the device? Reinstalling the FW may help clear any ghosts if there is something amiss. There is no hardware reset pinhole like on the first gen X3 and X5. I'd leave the cards out and hold the power button for 30 seconds to be safe for a reset or until the device begins a boot sequence. If it is completely frozen and won't reset/reboot then you have no choice but to contact your reseller or FiiO.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #5,075 of 7,088
  The X5 states it can drive 300ohm cans, but the X5ii says it can drive 150ohm cans.. :S. 

Means nothing actually.  Here : http://www.fiio.net/en/products/41/comparisons

The X5ii will put 245 mW into 32 ohms and 27 mW into 300 ohms
The original X5 will put 255 mW into 32 ohms and 28 mW into 300 ohms

Their output is practically the same, and in fact the X5ii has slightly better peak to peak voltage output, and much higher current output.

Both will handle the HD600 just fine.  Not a huge amount of headroom - but pretty well.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #5,078 of 7,088
Help please!!!!!

my x5ii keeps freezing pretty much no matter what I ask it to do.  can I reset the whole system in some way - I have tried pressing the power button for 10 secs and then switching it back on but no joy.

Another issue is that I formatted two micro sd cards on the X5ii and now my laptop won't recognise them when I put them into the laptop to put my music back on to them  

it all started when I was updating my library from the micro sds.  it seemed to freeze as it got to the end.  then I took the cards out and tried to start again but the update never got past "0 songs".  now as I say no matter what I do it just freezes on me.

I am extremely frustrated as you can imagine.  All I want to do is get my music onto this thing and listen but right now the x5ii is about as much use to me as a doorstop.

Like I said....help please.

thanking you inadvance.

Use SD Formatter 4 from sdcard.org it will fix your cannot be read on laptop. This same issue happened to my microSD a few months back, format the microSD on X5II and when I plug it on my notebook it messed up the partition map type of the microSD. Never ever format your card on the X5II or you'll get lots of headache or worst drive you insane fixing the damn SD.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #5,079 of 7,088
Re: Screen Protector Questions

The factory did a perfect job installing the screen protector on the X5ii.
Mine (from June 2015) has lots of scratches and I think I may replace it with the extra one included in the box.
Is it tricky to change it?  Anyone ever replace theirs?
Anyone ever take the protector off and not replace?
Thanks for information/tips etc.
Charlie

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #5,081 of 7,088
I edited my post because it may have come across differently than I intended.

For the amount of tech they put in to the Mojo, but in such a small size, with the amount of power on tap, you really can't do much better. Yes, it's a little thick and I can appreciate that. Really, you can't do better for the size though, measurably and audibly to my ears.

As for stacking with the X5ii the FiiO e12 is a good option for hard to drive headphones, but doesn't sound as good as the X5ii amp when driving headphones within the X5ii's drive ability. The e12A (the IEM version of the e12) you get similar performance with a slightly different sound, a little more warmth added to the signature. The rest of the fiio's portable amp/DAC lineup I would say is slightly below par with the X5ii, except for the X7 (I still prefer the Mojo over the X7). I've tested a few portable pieces and the X5ii is a great unit so if on the go and you find the stack to be too unwieldy you can always unstrap the Mojo.

All that said, what would be helpful is if you told us what headphones/IEMs you are using. For IEMs I really enjoy the ALO Rx strapped to the X5ii and find the pair's sound quality to be quite engaging, but it's $299 and really only for IEMs.

Hi Relic

After reading your reply above, what do you think would be the best way forward regarding this previously posted question (Slightly edited from original post):

I've got a X5/E12A & Fidue A83 IEMs. I have a X5ii on order. This will mean the X5 Classic can be used on its own for trips away and the beach.

I'm thinking of adding something better than the E12A to my new X5ii. Here are some options that spring to mind.

1 - Wait for the new FiiO Q5 Amp/DAC

2 - Chord Mojo

3 - None of the above and just get better IEMs (Shure SE535?) and run them directly from the X5ii.

Any opinions you could put forward would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Jersey, so I can't listen to any of these options.

Regards

Darren

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #5,082 of 7,088
Hi Relic

After reading your reply above, what do you think would be the best way forward regarding this previously posted question (Slightly edited from original post):

I've got a X5/E12A & Fidue A83 IEMs. I have a X5ii on order. This will mean the X5 Classic can be used on its own for trips away and the beach.

I'm thinking of adding something better than the E12A to my new X5ii. Here are some options that spring to mind.

1 - Wait for the new FiiO Q5 Amp/DAC

2 - Chord Mojo

3 - None of the above and just get better IEMs (Shure SE535?) and run them directly from the X5ii.

Any opinions you could put forward would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Jersey, so I can't listen to any of these options.

Regards

Darren

Well, you need to break it down to your needs and wants. The X5ii sounds very good on its own so upgrading the IEMs would be a very sensible choice to put your money toward.

To look at the options you presented I can't really give any thoughts on the Q5's sound as nobody has heard it. The Mojo's DAC technically is ahead of the 'off the shelf chips' in the Q5 though, by a fair margin, but that doesn't mean the Q5 won't sound good to an individual's ears at a reasonable price point. If using either the Mojo or Q5 you will be bypassing the audio components in the X5/X5ii so in essence they just become transports with much longer battery life.

Remember that usually the biggest gains in the audio chain are from the transducer if you already have a decent source like the X5ii, over something like the iPod classic. From there differences will be more noticeable with better source gear like the Mojo. I haven't heard the Fidue A83 so I can't offer any perspective, but I do know that there are better, more resolving IEMs out there for sure. I'd suggest looking at different IEMs with the sound signature you prefer and ask in those threads how they compare to the A83. I'm sure you'll receive many perspectives and opinions. Unfortunately for my ability to offer perspective in this regard I went straight for the JH Angie and skipped the mid tier all together. I tend to do that, but it gets expensive and requires a lot of reading and demoing beforehand.

What is it you are looking for? More resolution/detail? More bass impact? More clarity in the mids? What is it about your current gear that has you wanting more? It's a complex subject that only you can answer and from there you can narrow down what you should do as your next upgrade.

Just to offer some perspective, from my experience, what the Mojo brings to the table over the X5/X5ii is a better window in to the music. The detail is cleaner and the texture is greater. Not in a 'in your face' way that unnaturally boosts detail, but in a way that the sound is more natural, not as smeared or as 'digital'. It's closer to the reproduction of the original analogue performance. The difference can be subtle at first (it wasn't for me though) but over time quite noticeable when going back to other gear, and quite addictive to my ears. Now, I should say the difference might be lost on IEMs like the A83 (again, I haven't heard them). I remember when I purchased the JH Angie and the SQ improvement straight from the X5/X5ii was easily noticeable.

You won't get the same kind of audible difference going from the X5/X5ii to the Mojo. Once you have really good IEMs/headphones then a purchase like the Mojo can be fully appreciated. At least that's my $0.02.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #5,083 of 7,088
Hi Relic

Thanks very much for your detailed response.

I think I will get some better IEM's first. The Fidue A83's are pretty good and well reviewed. In a second system with the X5 Classic, they will be very good.

Regarding the sound I am looking for in a new set of IEM's, I like good bass, detail and as I am a bit treble sensitive, not an over powering top end.

So once I have found new IEM's do you think I should run them straight from the X5ii and ditch the E12A. I tried that yesterday with the A83's and X5 classic and was surprised how good the sound was, as I always used full sized headphones (Sennheiser HD650 and Shure SRH1540) and never thought to take the E12A out of the chain when I switched to using IEM's.

Once I have sourced new IEM's, I will then get a Mojo. There are so many good reviews on the item, it seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Darren

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #5,084 of 7,088
Hi Relic

Thanks very much for your detailed response.

I think I will get some better IEM's first. The Fidue A83's are pretty good and well reviewed. In a second system with the X5 Classic, they will be very good.

Regarding the sound I am looking for in a new set of IEM's, I like good bass, detail and as I am a bit treble sensitive, not an over powering top end.

So once I have found new IEM's do you think I should run them straight from the X5ii and ditch the E12A. I tried that yesterday with the A83's and X5 classic and was surprised how good the sound was, as I always used full sized headphones (Sennheiser HD650 and Shure SRH1540) and never thought to take the E12A out of the chain when I switched to using IEM's.

Once I have sourced new IEM's, I will then get a Mojo. There are so many good reviews on the item, it seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Darren

Looks like a good plan for you moving forward. The A83 are indeed well reviewed, for their price bracket. :wink:

Sounds like you'd enjoy the Shure SE846 if you can swing it in your budget. Regarding the e12A it's entirely a sound preference thing compared to the X5ii as they both are well within the drive ability for most headphones.

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back