FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #5,056 of 7,088
I've had my X5II for a couple of weeks now and I'm really enjoying it a lot. It's more of an upgrade over my X3II than I thought it would be. Both of my headphones (Sony Z7 and HE-400I) sound smoother and more resolving than with the X3II along with a little better soundstage as well.

If there's one small thing I could pick on about the X5II is I wish it had a little more power in the amp because it's about the same as the X3II. It handles my Z7 no problem and can power the HE-400i fine but with a more powerful amp the soundstage opens up even more, so with the E12's 800 some odd mW that should work good I think.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #5,057 of 7,088
Does anyone else have the problem with the volume when holding it down to change the volume after I take my finger off the button it keeps going for around 5 to 10 more levels give or take. Also when fast forwarding a mp3 track it takes a few seconds to play again, I counted one time and it was 12 seconds. Flac files work perfect but my 320 mp3's have the delay when fast forwarding. There not deal breakers by any means but it can be annoying.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #5,058 of 7,088
Does anyone else have the problem with the volume when holding it down to change the volume after I take my finger off the button it keeps going for around 5 to 10 more levels give or take. Also when fast forwarding a mp3 track it takes a few seconds to play again, I counted one time and it was 12 seconds. Flac files work perfect but my 320 mp3's have the delay when fast forwarding. There not deal breakers by any means but it can be annoying.

yeah that happens on mine too, not a massive niggle given the awesomeness of the player in general, i cant speak for MP3 though as i dont have any. i got to testing it on my big stereo and it still sounds bloody good on there, couldnt be happier with it and unlike the ibasso it replaced it actually lasts a full working day on battery

now i just need to decide on what new cable im getting to go between it and my ER4s, im leaning towards a null audio cable but i cant decide just how high spec i want to go yet, that pure copper is tempting but its also pretty pricey

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #5,059 of 7,088
I think its a great player, I love the simplicity of it most of all. Running with a chord mojo so not the most elegant of stacks. Anybody running with any of the fiio amps/dacs? would be good to hear comparisons with the mojo. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #5,060 of 7,088
I think its a great player, I love the simplicity of it most of all. Running with a chord mojo so not the most elegant of stacks. Anybody running with any of the fiio amps/dacs? would be good to hear comparisons with the mojo. 

Seriously?

You already have a device that's much better than any FiiO amp/DAC.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #5,061 of 7,088
  yeah that happens on mine too, not a massive niggle given the awesomeness of the player in general, i cant speak for MP3 though as i dont have any. i got to testing it on my big stereo and it still sounds bloody good on there, couldnt be happier with it and unlike the ibasso it replaced it actually lasts a full working day on battery

now i just need to decide on what new cable im getting to go between it and my ER4s, im leaning towards a null audio cable but i cant decide just how high spec i want to go yet, that pure copper is tempting but its also pretty pricey

These little issue aren't much of a problem as I don't fast forwad my edm mixes to much anyways.  

I couldn't agree more about how good the X5II sounds, so smooth with better resolution and soundstaging than my X3II which is a very nice dap as well.  Most all of my 320 mp3's I have sound great and with a few that I have both 320 mp3 and flac its hard to tell the difference when listening to them.  On most flac files I have I can tell the difference between them and 320's because the just sound cleaner especially in the bass which sounds smoother than an mp3, at least that's how I hear it.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #5,062 of 7,088
Seriously?

You already have a device that's much better than any FiiO amp/DAC.

Hi

many thanks for your detailed answer but it doesnt show here but does in my email??? I'm relative newcomer here so was just looking for opinions really. I'm happy with my mojo & fiiO X5ii stack its just a bit ungainly is all. I guess thats the trade off for great sound though. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #5,063 of 7,088
Hi

many thanks for your detailed answer but it doesnt show here but does in my email??? I'm relative newcomer here so was just looking for opinions really. I'm happy with my mojo & fiiO X5ii stack its just a bit ungainly is all. I guess thats the trade off for great sound though. 

I edited my post because it may have come across differently than I intended.

For the amount of tech they put in to the Mojo, but in such a small size, with the amount of power on tap, you really can't do much better. Yes, it's a little thick and I can appreciate that. Really, you can't do better for the size though, measurably and audibly to my ears.

As for stacking with the X5ii the FiiO e12 is a good option for hard to drive headphones, but doesn't sound as good as the X5ii amp when driving headphones within the X5ii's drive ability. The e12A (the IEM version of the e12) you get similar performance with a slightly different sound, a little more warmth added to the signature. The rest of the fiio's portable amp/DAC lineup I would say is slightly below par with the X5ii, except for the X7 (I still prefer the Mojo over the X7). I've tested a few portable pieces and the X5ii is a great unit so if on the go and you find the stack to be too unwieldy you can always unstrap the Mojo.

All that said, what would be helpful is if you told us what headphones/IEMs you are using. For IEMs I really enjoy the ALO Rx strapped to the X5ii and find the pair's sound quality to be quite engaging, but it's $299 and really only for IEMs.

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #5,064 of 7,088
Hi

I've got a X5/E12A and have a X5ii on order. This will mean the X5 Classic can be used on it's own for trips away and the beach.

I'm thinking of adding something better than the E12A to my new X5ii. Should I wait for the new FiiO Q5 Amp/DAC that is based on the X7, or go for a Mojo. I will be using Fidue A83 IEMs. 

I live in Jersey, so can't listen to anything!

Regards

Darren

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #5,065 of 7,088
I edited my post because it may have come across differently than I intended.

For the amount of tech they put in to the Mojo, but in such a small size, with the amount of power on tap, you really can't do much better. Yes, it's a little thick and I can appreciate that. Really, you can't do better for the size though, measurably and audibly to my ears.

As for stacking with the X5ii the FiiO e12 is a good option for hard to drive headphones, but doesn't sound as good as the X5ii amp when driving headphones within the X5ii's drive ability. The e12A (the IEM version of the e12) you get similar performance with a slightly different sound, a little more warmth added to the signature. The rest of the fiio's portable amp/DAC lineup I would say is slightly below par with the X5ii, except for the X7 (I still prefer the Mojo over the X7). I've tested a few portable pieces and the X5ii is a great unit so if on the go and you find the stack to be too unwieldy you can always unstrap the Mojo.

All that said, what would be helpful is if you told us what headphones/IEMs you are using. For IEMs I really enjoy the ALO Rx strapped to the X5ii and find the pair's sound quality to be quite engaging, but it's $299 and really only for IEMs.

Hi
I am currently using some RHA T20 IEM's at the minute when on the move & gonna try a pair of Audio Techina ATH-MSR7BK's for home use. I have tried Philips fidelio L2's & X2's. Was gonnasgo back to the X2's for home use but thought I would try the AT's first. I have also tried some Flare R2S's but found the T20's to sound better. Bit alarmed on the T20's currently though as the top cap from the filter came off completely when I was swapping out some comply tips. Worried it maight come off in my ear now :frowning2:
I'm purely using DSD & FLAC files on the FiiO X5ii.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5,066 of 7,088

I noticed tapping has more control over holding when making adjustments.

Last night was the first time I experienced a lag when scanning through a MP3 song.
But it wasn't really a song but an entire album that was needle dropped (without track splitting) so I assumed that was the reason.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #5,067 of 7,088
Help please!!!!!

my x5ii keeps freezing pretty much no matter what I ask it to do.  can I reset the whole system in some way - I have tried pressing the power button for 10 secs and then switching it back on but no joy.

Another issue is that I formatted two micro sd cards on the X5ii and now my laptop won't recognise them when I put them into the laptop to put my music back on to them  

it all started when I was updating my library from the micro sds.  it seemed to freeze as it got to the end.  then I took the cards out and tried to start again but the update never got past "0 songs".  now as I say no matter what I do it just freezes on me.

I am extremely frustrated as you can imagine.  All I want to do is get my music onto this thing and listen but right now the x5ii is about as much use to me as a doorstop.

Like I said....help please.

thanking you inadvance.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #5,069 of 7,088
Are you able to try different cards, or at least try the cards you have using a card reader instead of the X5ii? This will at least tell if the cards are the issue or the player.

What brand of cards are they and did they work well at one point?

Did you remove the cards while they were being accessed? This may have corrupted them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back