FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4,801 of 7,088
"15. USB OTG function (which had never been compatible with many USB devices) has been disabled to improve device detection in storage and DAC modes by the computer"

Can someone please explain what this function does and if it was disabled in the X5ii device as well?

I was hoping It meant I could connect my WB 500GB drive to the X5ii

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,802 of 7,088
  "15. USB OTG function (which had never been compatible with many USB devices) has been disabled to improve device detection in storage and DAC modes by the computer"

Can someone please explain what this function does and if it was disabled in the X5ii device as well?

Yes its disabled on X5ii also.
It would allow you to attach usb drives/storage via USB so yes you could have used your WD drive. 
If you want to use that then you can go back to previous beta fw.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #4,803 of 7,088
I notice I have some songs that stop midway. These are files that play fine on th PC. Is the x5ii more susceptible to files defects that kick the song out?

Or could it be from the copying process to the card?

Just curious if anyone else notices dropped songs.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #4,804 of 7,088
  I notice I have some songs that stop midway. These are files that play fine on th PC. Is the x5ii more susceptible to files defects that kick the song out?

Or could it be from the copying process to the card?

Just curious if anyone else notices dropped songs.

I've noticed that, on one particular playlist that has a LOT of songs (it's my largest song category), they wouldn't stop midway, but they would stop at the end of the song and not go on to the next.  I'd have to physically tap the button to make it continue.  Weirdly, though, using the Genre tag doesn't have that problem, even with the same amount of songs.  I'd check the file size on your computer, and then on your card; if they don't match up, they didn't transfer right.  I've had that happen once or twice. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #4,805 of 7,088
  Hi,
I just received my new Fiio X5 ii and I'm very happy about it. However, I find that inserting the TF (memory) card into this player is much more difficult than it is with my original X3. I have to use a tool to push the card in so that it will click into position. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, I did not receive a silicone case with my Fiio. It came with the hard plastic half case that replaced the silicone version. Will these cases made by Fiio fit the 2nd generation X5, or are they only meant to be used with the original X5?
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-HS8-Silicone-Case-X5/dp/B00KQ07N3G/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_clickstream_3_dp

Is another alternative available? I'd like to have a rubber case (not leather or Tuff-Luv) for my new Fiio. Thanks for your help.
Heath

Sadly, they're also out of silicon cases from the company; I emailed and asked them.  I don't like the plastic case at all; it doesn't fully protect the player whatsoever. 

And I've had to fiddle with the card with my fingernail as well.  I've just finally stopped removing it and just connected the player to my computer via USB to transfer that way; works much better, and no fiddling.

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #4,806 of 7,088

Yes its disabled on X5ii also.
It would allow you to attach usb drives/storage via USB so yes you could have used your WD drive. 
If you want to use that then you can go back to previous beta fw.

Damn...so I have to choose between an external storage device and normalizing
mad.gif

Thanks, Nekro.

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #4,807 of 7,088
Something that I was unable to do with my X3 and now with my X5 2nd Gen is cue songs without having them play. For example, if I want to play a particular song, how can I have the X5 cue it up without playing it? Also, if I am listening to a track and I want to skip the the next or previous track, can I do so without the X5 automatically playing it? Thanks.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #4,808 of 7,088
I agree, Sokudoningyou, the plastic case is not adequate (i.e., garbage). I hope a third party develops a silicone cover.

The SD card insertion problem is slightly easier, now that my fingernails are a tiny bit longer, but it is certainly more difficult to insert and remove the cards on the Fiio X5 2nd Gen than it is on my Fiio X3 1st Gen.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,809 of 7,088
  I agree, Sokudoningyou, the plastic case is not adequate (i.e., garbage). I hope a third party develops a silicone cover.

The SD card insertion problem is slightly easier, now that my fingernails are a tiny bit longer, but it is certainly more difficult to insert and remove the cards on the Fiio X5 2nd Gen than it is on my Fiio X3 1st Gen.

With regard to the SD card insertion, I always have a jeweler's flat head screwdriver lying around. So, I use that usually.

Removing or inserting the SD card on the older X5 is even worse, with the fillet cutout and rubber cover.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,810 of 7,088
After lurking around Head-fi for roughly a year, I decided to actually join in the thread. Thanks to head-fi, I've made purchases throughout last year including the fiio X1, the amp Q1, in-ear Shure SE215 and the Audio Technica ATH MSR7. My latest investment, the fiio x5II, which I bought yesterday feel likes a great improvement over the x1. I tried Aune M2 standard and Ibasso DX80 a while back wondering what's to upgrade to from my 1 year old x1. I went to a local store and decide to try the out a few amps and headphones. I also want to hear the Plenue D which unfortunately the sample unit was sent for review so ultimately I bought the x5II. I immediately upgrade to 1.27beta firmware and this dap certainly has more functions than dx80 and M2 I tried. Here is some of my first impression:

The design is amazing, the brushed chassis look way more premium than x1 and when it feels more solid than the dx80 imo. I like the way the status led is intergrated into the power button, it looks cooler that way and prevent the glare I ften encounter on the x1 when used at dark places.

The screen's brightness is great, on par with the dx80 and so does the resolution. 
The UI is okay but it's a bit unresponsive on the 1.27 firmware. In fact, I prefer Fiio x5II UI and button layout more then that of the touchsceen onthe dx80 and the limited buttons on M2.

Paired with my MSR7, the X5II is slightly less spacious than my X1+Q1 combo, also I have to EQ to compensate for the lack of bass on MSR7. On the other hand, the X5II is warmer with a intimate sense to my ear. 

I'm planning to go for orthos headphones like the hifiman's but I'm concerned with the driving power of the x5II. The 32 ohm MSR7 is fully drived with high gain on vol. 65~75/120. I don't know if it could drive some high impendence like some Beyer's or Senn's.

Used as a DAC for my laptop, I could say the overall sound was better than the fiio Q1.

Well this is my first post and English is not my native language so I hope I can get well with anyone around here 
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #4,811 of 7,088
  With regard to the SD card insertion, I always have a jeweler's flat head screwdriver lying around. So, I use that usually.

Removing or inserting the SD card on the older X5 is even worse, with the fillet cutout and rubber cover.

The jeweler screwdriver idea is great. Thanks.
I'd read that card insertion in the original X5 was very difficult, but I didn't have that DAP.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #4,812 of 7,088
  After lurking around Head-fi for roughly a year, I decided to actually join in the thread. Thanks to head-fi, I've made purchases throughout last year including the fiio X1, the amp Q1, in-ear Shure SE215 and the Audio Technica ATH MSR7. My latest investment, the fiio x5II, which I bought yesterday feel likes a great improvement over the x1. I tried Aune M2 standard and Ibasso DX80 a while back wondering what's to upgrade to from my 1 year old x1. I went to a local store and decide to try the out a few amps and headphones. I also want to hear the Plenue D which unfortunately the sample unit was sent for review so ultimately I bought the x5II. I immediately upgrade to 1.27beta firmware and this dap certainly has more functions than dx80 and M2 I tried. Here is some of my first impression:

The design is amazing, the brushed chassis look way more premium than x1 and when it feels more solid than the dx80 imo. I like the way the status led is intergrated into the power button, it looks cooler that way and prevent the glare I ften encounter on the x1 when used at dark places.

The screen's brightness is great, on par with the dx80 and so does the resolution. 
The UI is okay but it's a bit unresponsive on the 1.27 firmware. In fact, I prefer Fiio x5II UI and button layout more then that of the touchsceen onthe dx80 and the limited buttons on M2.

Paired with my MSR7, the X5II is slightly less spacious than my X1+Q1 combo, also I have to EQ to compensate for the lack of bass on MSR7. On the other hand, the X5II is warmer with a intimate sense to my ear. 

I'm planning to go for orthos headphones like the hifiman's but I'm concerned with the driving power of the x5II. The 32 ohm MSR7 is fully drived with high gain on vol. 65~75/120. I don't know if it could drive some high impendence like some Beyer's or Senn's.

Used as a DAC for my laptop, I could say the overall sound was better than the fiio Q1.

Well this is my first post and English is not my native language so I hope I can get well with anyone around here 
wink.gif

Welcome, FC.
Right now I'm pushing some 600's to a satisfactory volume.
However, I won't know if the 600's will improve with my Little Dot MKIII amp until I get the line out cable.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #4,813 of 7,088
  Hi,
I just received my new Fiio X5 ii and I'm very happy about it. However, I find that inserting the TF (memory) card into this player is much more difficult than it is with my original X3. I have to use a tool to push the card in so that it will click into position. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have had my fingernail slip while inserting the micro SD card and launched the card across the room. The slot has a strong spring.  I spent several minutes on my hands and knees looking for my card.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,815 of 7,088
Yeah I get exactly the same. It's annoying.

Must be why this drop stalled at 26 units
eek.gif

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fiio-x5-2nd-generation-player?utm_placement=18&referer=PR3LLV&mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202016-02-02&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional

Users who are viewing this thread

Back