FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #4,381 of 7,088
I felt X1 is more flat sounding that X5II. X5II is more dimensional. Instruments are more realistic. X5II bass I felt was more well controlled, it only reflects what the songs originally meant to sound, it won't overdo the bass.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,384 of 7,088
How would a tube amp (Schiit) effect the sound? Schiit came out with a small rollable single tube amp that I think I'll get to dedicate using my Fiio with,

Does anyone els use their fiio with a tube amp?
Thanks

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #4,385 of 7,088
How would a tube amp (Schiit) effect the sound? Schiit came out with a small rollable single tube amp that I think I'll get to dedicate using my Fiio with,

Does anyone els use their fiio with a tube amp?
Thanks

I used my X5 1st gen with the bottle head crack via lineout with very good results.

It will change the sound, how? Depends on the amp. It's safe to say that most if not all tubeamps add some warm.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #4,386 of 7,088
  In terms of UI (fluidity, ease of use, etc)....... X5ii or AK Jr? Still having a hard time deciding, thanks!

Dude... 

No once can tell you what YOU would like more. Now, we, X5II owners might like X5II better, while AK JR users will like it better. 

There is no better or worse, they are way too different, do you want touchscreen, do you want to use an AK product, what headphones will you be using, how will you be using it? etc. There are lots of deciding factors. 

For example, as I stated earlier, I am using my X5II as USB DAC half or more of the time, so this is the most important aspect of it for now. Also I love X5II's amp section, with tight bass, clear and well extended treble, and dead silent background.. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,389 of 7,088
  I know that. I'm just looking for opinions.

Okay, subjectively speaking, I like the interface of X5II better, I can also modify it, and I really trust the front wheel on X5II more than the volume wheel on AK JR. 

Another complaints would not exist, they seem both as like-able devices, I would stick to Fiio, gives more options, (LO, Coaux Out, dual microsd, good amp built in, buttons seem reliable, ports seem reliable, zero background noise)

AK jr has way less battery, and has wolfson DAC inside (me not like) (you might like wolfson DACs, they are warm, natural sounding, but X5II's DAC is neutral and flat, which is more ideal of a DAC to be).

AK jr seems thinner, so I guess that this is why the built in amp is weaker, it seems that the swing voltage is higher on X5II (not sure if this is a characteristic of how it will sound from the start).

I cannot fiind anywhere if the power of AK jr is stated, but X5II has an amazing 436mw in 16ohm. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4,391 of 7,088
Hello there- 
  I've been using my x5ii for around two months & it has suddenly developed a problem- or at least I think it has- with the volume buttons. While I am listening to a track & the player's screen is darkened out so it functions in lock screen mode, the volume buttons will advance or digress the track to another one if I press & hold either of them down to change the volume. They do let me raise or lower the volume by pressing & releasing & I can press & hold while the screen is "on"- enabling all buttons. This does not seem normal, especially since I can't remember this happening before. Any suggestions? Is there a system reset combination of buttons I can try?

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #4,392 of 7,088
Hello there- 
  I've been using my x5ii for around two months & it has suddenly developed a problem- or at least I think it has- with the volume buttons. While I am listening to a track & the player's screen is darkened out so it functions in lock screen mode, the volume buttons will advance or digress the track to another one if I press & hold either of them down to change the volume. They do let me raise or lower the volume by pressing & releasing & I can press & hold while the screen is "on"- enabling all buttons. This does not seem normal, especially since I can't remember this happening before. Any suggestions? Is there a system reset combination of buttons I can try?

A long press advances or plays the previous track when the screen is off. Short presses increase / decrease the volume. It's always been like this.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #4,393 of 7,088
A long press advances or plays the previous track when the screen is off. Short presses increase / decrease the volume. It's always been like this.

Thanks...Glad I asked! As long as it is an intentional part or the UI I will not worry. Is this the proper thread for a  firmware suggestion? Do you know if there is any demand for a volume "normalization" feature. This would allow people to listen to their whole library or a large, diverse part of it without constantly raising/ lowering the volume.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #4,394 of 7,088
Thanks...Glad I asked! As long as it is an intentional part or the UI I will not worry. Is this the proper thread for a  firmware suggestion? Do you know if there is any demand for a volume "normalization" feature. This would allow people to listen to their whole library or a large, diverse part of it without constantly raising/ lowering the volume.

That's been asked for since the first X3 and I honestly don't think it will be implemented. Actually I think it's the most requested feature but I'm not sure the SoC and/or firmware can handle this feature as it hasn't been implemented yet, again, given it seems to be a highly requested feature.

Here are a couple FW threads for the X5ii:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776861/official-x5-2nd-gen-stable-firmware-thread-fw1-2-improved-scroll-wheel-dsd-playback-stability

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786112/official-x5-2nd-gen-beta-firmware-download-and-discussion-thread-version-1-21-library-search-function

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #4,395 of 7,088
That's been asked for since the first X3 and I honestly don't think it will be implemented. Actually I think it's the most requested feature but I'm not sure the SoC and/or firmware can handle this feature as it hasn't been implemented yet, again, given it seems to be a highly requested feature. There are FW specific threads I can dig up a link for... Hold on...

I would not know if a "normalization" feature is standard on any DAP. come to think of it, though, the lock screen 3 option enables the skip forewards/ backwards buttons along with the volume and power buttons. That was probably the source of my "confusion".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back