FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #4,352 of 7,088
It helps a lot. The amp has a knob - bass on/off and a knob gain - on/off, so both are on and you have more power to drive the bigger headphones and more bass, so it is a must - fiio e 12 costs 150 euro in europe.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,353 of 7,088
Great, I have klipsch x11i I like but there 50ohms. I tried my 15ohm klipsch and they handled better but- they wernt as detailed. Eaither I'll probably get the amp first then plan on getting the x5ii
It helps a lot. The amp has a knob - bass on/off and a knob gain - on/off, so both are on and you have more power to drive the bigger headphones and more bass, so it is a must - fiio e 12 costs 150 euro in europe.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4,354 of 7,088
How are you finding the search option in the latest beta version?

I'm thinking replacing my original X5 mainly because of this.

Personally I love it.  Its enough now for me to switch from folder browsing to tagged browsing.  I usually listen to artist > album - so it is really easy to get to where I want, and using the tagged library means I don't have to switch between the 2 cards (which I have to when folder browsing).  Yes it could be improved more - but it IS a major improvement and I hope this filters through to the X3ii as well. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,355 of 7,088
How much should a amp help with the lack of bass on the x1?

Thanks

The X1 measures pretty much audibly flat - so no frequencies are enhanced or lacking.  So you have a few options with regard to bass.

• Change your headphones.  If you desire more bass and the headphones aren't bassy - then there is your problem.
  • If the X1 is not able to power the headphones properly (your profile only shows Klipsch IEMs which the X1 will have no issues driving), then look at amping.  It would help if you advised which headphones you are using.
  • Cheapest option is to use the X1's built in EQ
  • Use hardware bass boost on an amp. This is probably likely to be the worst option of the ones I listed above - but I'm guessing it'll be the one you go with.  If indeed you're using the Klipsch IEMs - I'd recommend looking at Fiios E17K.  It's a DAC/amp - so you can use it with a laptop etc as well (with the X1 you'd just eb using the amp section).  But more importantly it has bass and treble tone controls, so you can flavour your sound to suit. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,356 of 7,088
Thank you, the problem with bass I'm having is the "fill in the space, detail bass" isn't showing that well. My klipsch are 50 ohms (x11i) then my klipsch 3m (I think) are 15 ohms.
The Greatful Dead do better a little with the bass but not as detailed as like on my stereo or ipod. I might look to get RHA t20 next.
Sorry for a X1 question Insted of a x5, I'm looking to get the x5ii latter on.
The X1 measures pretty much audibly flat - so no frequencies are enhanced or lacking.  So you have a few options with regard to bass.

1. Change your headphones.  If you desire more bass and the headphones aren't bassy - then there is your problem.
  2. If the X1 is not able to power the headphones properly (your profile only shows Klipsch IEMs which the X1 will have no issues driving), then look at amping.  It would help if you advised which headphones you are using.
  3. Cheapest option is to use the X1's built in EQ
  4. Use hardware bass boost on an amp. This is probably likely to be the worst option of the ones I listed above - but I'm guessing it'll be the one you go with.  If indeed you're using the Klipsch IEMs - I'd recommend looking at Fiios E17K.  It's a DAC/amp - so you can use it with a laptop etc as well (with the X1 you'd just eb using the amp section).  But more importantly it has bass and treble tone controls, so you can flavour your sound to suit. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,357 of 7,088
Thank you, the problem with bass I'm having is the "fill in the space, detail bass" isn't showing that well. My klipsch are 50 ohms (x11i) then my klipsch 3m (I think) are 15 ohms.
The Greatful Dead do better a little with the bass but not as detailed as like on my stereo or ipod. I might look to get RHA t20 next.
Sorry for a X1 question Insted of a x5, I'm looking to get the x5ii latter on.

The Klipsch are 50 ohm but 110 dB SPL - so the X1 will have no issues driving them.  It can even drive my 320 ohm Zen2 with no issues 
wink.gif

In your other thread, I confirmed the T20 would be a good choice for more bass.  Also look into the Alclair Curve.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,358 of 7,088
But, then why do my 15 ohm klipsch seem to do better then my 50 ohm?

Thank you
Should I look for a lower ohm then 15?
The Klipsch are 50 ohm but 110 dB SPL - so the X1 will have no issues driving them.  It can even drive my 320 ohm Zen2 with no issues :wink: .

In your other thread, I confirmed the T20 would be a good choice for more bass.  Also look into the Alclair Curve.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #4,359 of 7,088
You can't look at the two measurements in isolation.  You need to look at both impedance and sensitivity

The Klipsch S3M are 18 ohms and 106 dB Sensitivity - so higher impedance but less sensitive.  You'll get higher volume with the X1 - but in reality, the X1's output is more than enough to power both Klipsch IEMs without additional amping.

The T20 and also Curve I mentioned will have no issues with X1 as source.

Anyway - this is the X5ii thread, so you may want to carry on the conversation in the X1 thread - or give me a PM if you have any specific questions :)

Quote:
But, then why do my 15 ohm klipsch seem to do better then my 50 ohm?

Thank you
Should I look for a lower ohm then 15?

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #4,361 of 7,088
Lower sensitivity actually means it is harder to drive - more power needed to get to a listenable volume.  Higher sensitivity is usually easier - although the more sensitive, the more prone to hearing noise (hissing).  Like I said - you can't treat the two in isolation when calculating power requirements.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,362 of 7,088
Ok thank you,
Yea I don't mean any dumb Qs asking,
I kinda have the sound signature close to my ipod (X1 is showing stronger of a sound and detail) I'll try and find a good iem that meets what you've said. Thank you
Lower sensitivity actually means it is harder to drive - more power needed to get to a listenable volume.  Higher sensitivity is usually easier - although the more sensitive, the more prone to hearing noise (hissing).  Like I said - you can't treat the two in isolation when calculating power requirements.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #4,363 of 7,088
VERY basic. One entry selection and it jumps straight to that entry. It is beta so perhaps it will improve with multiple selections followed by using the center button to activate the search, that's my hope anyway.

Depends a lot on how much you would need it. 

If you already were using browsing by folder, and had things grouped in folders consisting on character, like folder A, folder B, and so on, this is about what it does, it does search one character, but not anything more complex. If it advances, even in the next generation, it is a step forward, but as it is now, it is a little basic, and primitive (and instable, it crashed mine 3 times)

Personally I love it.  Its enough now for me to switch from folder browsing to tagged browsing.  I usually listen to artist > album - so it is really easy to get to where I want, and using the tagged library means I don't have to switch between the 2 cards (which I have to when folder browsing).  Yes it could be improved more - but it IS a major improvement and I hope this filters through to the X3ii as well. 

Thanks for your response guys, I can see myself very happy with it. Still a beta so only time to improve. 
I wish Fiio have closed the active support of the X5 1st gen with this feature, in paper, I don't see why they didn't, as far as I know the X5 and the X5ii share the same CPU.

@JamesFiiO why! whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #4,364 of 7,088
After testing the FiiO X5 2nd gen together with my SE846 for a few days.. WOW!
It's really amazing. I'm no audiophile, not even close. I just listen, and if I like it, I'm happy.
The only 3 noteworthy headphones I've had are the klipsch s4i when I was 17, and westone 4r, and now se846.
After moving from westone to se846, I was kind of disappointed with the audio. I purchased the FiiO and I can say that i'm absolutely satisfied so far!
If anyone is thinking about pairing their se846 together with the fiio x5 2nd, i'd say go for it!

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #4,365 of 7,088
Ok thank you,
Yea I don't mean any dumb Qs asking,
I kinda have the sound signature close to my ipod (X1 is showing stronger of a sound and detail) I'll try and find a good iem that meets what you've said. Thank you

If your goal is to have a sound closer to your iPod then the X5ii will be even more resolving and detailed than the X1 and a little further yet from the iPod. That's what you pay for by upgrading to the X5ii from the X1 regarding sound quality. Brooko's suggestions are very good for you. IEMs with more bass is what you want.

As a side note, try to listen to the X1 for a period of time without listening to the iPod (about a week or more) and then go back to the iPod. You may find the iPod sounds flat and veiled after becoming used to a more resolving sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back