FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #4,127 of 7,088

I guess something like that (never used it myself):
http://www.amazon.com/Bplus-B1912A-Push-Push-Push-Eject-Connector/dp/B00L9OB95G

Well I'll be damned. I thought this was a unicorn! Pretty ironic to have a kludgy adapter to use SD in micro-SD slot but I guess it broadens options ...

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,128 of 7,088
I made a video earlier that I'll post again:

So this is where Huddler (the forum software) and HF structure leaves a bit to be desired.  You've just rattled off some great info which is buried on page 275 of the thread!   I've seen others go back and start editing the 1st post with consolidated tips but then there is also a place for Guides under Product http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap   - would be great topic for HF Mods to discuss i.e. Guidance on how/where to consolidate/update information, use of stickies etc.

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #4,129 of 7,088

I still got like questions I can't even think up of right now and I'm about to go to sleep but just a random question, how do I play music in 192kHz/24 bit?  I got some flac music files if that helps

One other thing about the X5ii I found out the hard way.  If you find some files can not be found or your player is locking up and not advancing to the next song on a playlist its probably because the file name is too long.  I forget the limit on the number of characters.   Someone else might know the exact limit.

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,130 of 7,088
Hi all, 

I posted this on the se846 thread but thought i might get a bit more feedback here. 

I recently purchased a fiiO x5ii to pair with my se846. Reading through the various threads it seemed like a good upgrade from my iPod touch 5th gen. I spent a few hours listening to the same music files on both devices and am having a hard time trying to find a huge difference between the 2. Should I spend more time listening to the x5 then go back to the ipod to see if there really is a difference or will i only notice a difference if i play hi-res files? The files i have tested on both devices are ALAC 44/16 and some 320kbps mp3 files. I feel that i am hearing a slight difference in the fact that i don't need to have the volume turned up as loud on the x5 to hear slightly more detail where as on the ipod more detail is revealed only once the volume is turned up. I was just curious on others views on the 2 devices with the se846 and whether or not its worth keeping the x5.

thanks. Dave

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #4,131 of 7,088
It's automatic. If your file has 24 bit depth and 192 kHz sampling rate the X5ii will play it. You can't up sample or down sample any files on the X5ii. You need to purchase high res music to play high res music.

Are flac files able to play 192kHz/24 bit?  I ripped a few cds into flac.  The only way to play these high res music is to buy it or can we use a program and rip it from our cds?

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #4,132 of 7,088

Are flac files able to play 192kHz/24 bit?  I ripped a few cds into flac.  The only way to play these high res music is to buy it or can we use a program and rip it from our cds?

Standard CD is 144/16 so no you cannot take more information than is there to begin with to rip 192/24 FLAC.  SACD/HD CD's do contain more data but it's hardly a straightforward process to rip those.  

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,134 of 7,088

Standard CD is 144/16 so no you cannot take more information than is there to begin with to rip 192/24 FLAC.  SACD/HD CD's do contain more data but it's hardly a straightforward process to rip those.  

Damn that sucks.  What if an artist/their record company don't release those higher quality CDs and in places like itunes/android store?

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #4,135 of 7,088

One other thing about the X5ii I found out the hard way.  If you find some files can not be found or your player is locking up and not advancing to the next song on a playlist its probably because the file name is too long.  I forget the limit on the number of characters.   Someone else might know the exact limit.

Thanks

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,137 of 7,088

Unfortunately, that means you are going to be stuck with the music in regular CD quality - which isn't all that bad, because regular CD quality still sounds pretty good.

It is worthwhile stating that amongst audio engineers, it is widely accepted that Red Book CD (44/16) is indistinguishable from any of the higher resolution formats in blind testing.
What often results in better sound with these releases is that the higher resolution versions have been remastered, which does indeed often make a difference (sometimes quite substantial). But the difference comes from the remastering, not from the extra bits.
You can test it yourself, try downloading the high-res and 44/16 versions of a track or tracks from hdtracks. Then use Foobar to do blind testing. if you can't tell the difference, then you are saving yourself some money and storage space.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #4,138 of 7,088
  You can test it yourself, try downloading the high-res and 44/16 versions of a track or tracks from hdtracks. Then use Foobar to do blind testing. if you can't tell the difference, then you are saving yourself some money.

Actually - the only way to really do the format test is just download the high-res, then make a copy and resample it yourself to redbook.  The problem with downloading hires and 16/44 is that even on the same site they can be from different masters (redbook crippled so that you perceive the hi-res as better).

In case TheChosenOne wants to try for himself - here's a link to get you started
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #4,139 of 7,088

Actually - the only way to really do the format test is just download the high-res, then make a copy and resample it yourself to redbook.  The problem with downloading hires and 16/44 is that even on the same site they can be from different masters (redbook crippled so that you perceive the hi-res as better).

Interesting, I had never heard this before. Any references to check out? I would like to read more about it.

Thanks Brooko

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #4,140 of 7,088
Damn that sucks.  What if an artist/their record company don't release those higher quality CDs and in places like itunes/android store?

Honestly I find CD 16/44.1 lossless very good sounding so if I can't find the high res version it's not going to stop me from enjoying the music I love. What I seek out is the best mastered version of a track/album as the X5ii will clearly show you any flaws like clipping or dynamic range compression from the masters. Modern music is plagued by the 'loudness wars' and many producers of popular music find that compressing the dynamic range in the track (not file compression like mp3) is perceived as sounding better, but really it's just louder and actually less detailed. While it's true that humans perceive louder music as better initially what ends up happening is the nuances are lost and the music can come across as flat in comparison to a well mastered track.

I use this site as a quick check before I purchase an album to see what the dynamic range is:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back