FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 10, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #4,111 of 7,088
  I have been using a 256gb cosair flash drive for OTG as long as the player has been out. The latest beta firmware works the best.
Also been using a 256gb sd card loaded to a micro sd adapter in the two slots. This also works on my X3.

Hi,

Can I know what this "256gb sd card loaded to a micro sd adapter" looks like?

Many thanks.

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #4,114 of 7,088
Just got my first dedicated music player with the x5 2nd gen.  So in order to update firmware, take out all memory card, copy the "X5II.fw" file to the x5 directory that shouldn't have anything on it then turn off the x5 (do I hold the power button for this?), insert my micro sd which I already put some music on it, hold shortcut key then while still holding the shortcut key press the power button?  Is that how I update firmware?

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4,115 of 7,088
Just got my first dedicated music player with the x5 2nd gen.  So in order to update firmware, take out all memory card, copy the "X5II.fw" file to the x5 directory that shouldn't have anything on it then turn off the x5 (do I hold the power button for this?), insert my micro sd which I already put some music on it, hold shortcut key then while still holding the shortcut key press the power button?  Is that how I update firmware?

It's much easier than that. To be clear, there is no memory to store data other than the mSD cards.

1) With the mSD card in SLOT 1 plug in the X5ii to your computers USB port.

2) Copy the downloaded UNZIPPED firmware file (should be named x5II.fw) to the root of the card in SLOT 1. No need to remove any folders or music.

3) Turn off the player.

4) Hold the power button and the shortcut key (upper left) at the same time until you see the progress bar. Then don't touch anything. The X5ii will restart itself after the update.

Make sure you've formatted the card as FAT32 or you can't update the firmware. Best practise for this is to use the format tool in the X5ii's System Settings if you haven't already done that. If you do need to format the card to FAT32 then make sure you have a backup of your music files elsewhere because formatting the card will erase all the data.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #4,116 of 7,088
It's much easier than that.

1) With the mSD card in SLOT 1 plug in the X5ii to your computers USB port.

2) Copy the downloaded UNZIPPED firmware file (should be named x5II.fw) to the root of the card in SLOT 1. No need to remove any folders or music.

3) Turn off the player.

4) Hold the power button and the shortcut key (upper left) at the same time until you see the progress bar. Then don't touch anything. The X5ii will restart itself after the update.

Make sure you've formatted the card as FAT32 or you can't update the firmware. Best practise for this is to use the format tool in the X5ii's System Settings if you haven't already done that. If you do need to format the card to FAT32 then make sure you have a backup of your music files elsewhere because formatting the card will erase all the data.

Earlier I put the micro sd, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M562LF4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 , and formatted using the player.  Did it formatted the card as FAT32?

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #4,117 of 7,088
Earlier I put the micro sd, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M562LF4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 , and formatted using the player.  Did it formatted the card as FAT32?

Yes. If you went to System Settings > Format on the X5ii then it formatted the card as FAT32 with the proper allocation unit size.

You're good to go. Load the X5II.fw file on the root of that card (not in any folders) in SLOT 1 and follow the rest of the instructions.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #4,118 of 7,088
Yes. If you went to System Settings > Format on the X5ii then it formatted the card as FAT32 with the proper allocation unit size.

You're good to go. Load the X5II.fw file on the root of that card (not in any folders) in SLOT 1 and follow the rest of the instructions.

I made a video earlier that I'll post again:

[VIDEO]https://vimeo.com/138690645[/VIDEO]

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #4,119 of 7,088
I made a video earlier that I'll post again:

Thanks a lot!  Like I said I am a newbie when it comes to DAP/X5.  Anything I should know about anything that's related to the X5?

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #4,120 of 7,088
Thanks a lot!  Like I said I am a newbie when it comes to DAP/X5.  Anything I should know about anything that's related to the X5?

No worries!

You should NEVER plug your headphones straight in to the Line Out jack. Line out is meant to feed an external amplifier.

Playing by the Browse Folder menu is recommended on these players vs the Catergory menu by many users. Took me some getting used to a few years ago but it is my preferred method of browsing music now.

You should organize your music by folders of the alphabet (like in my video, or similar) and place artist folders and then album folders under that to help from scrolling through very long lists.

If you want to shuffle all music on the card go in to the All Songs category. Same applies for the Artist category.

Turn on Gapless and Play Through Folders

You should be aware that engaging the EQ will lower the volume by around 5 dB to avoid clipping when EQ sliders are maxed out. This is a feature.

You can adjust all the EQ presets.

Check out the custom themes available:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread#post_11680988

You should ENJOY THE MUSIC!!

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #4,121 of 7,088
No worries!

You should NEVER plug your headphones straight in to the Line Out jack. Line out is meant to feed an external amplifier.

Playing by the Browse Folder menu is recommended on these players vs the Catergory menu by many users. Took me some getting used to a few years ago but it is my preferred method of browsing music now.

You should organize your music by folders of the alphabet (like in my video, or similar) and place artist folders and then album folders under that to help from scrolling through very long lists.

If you want to shuffle all music on the card go in to the All Songs category. Same applies for the Artist category.

Turn on Gapless and Play Through Folders

You should be aware that engaging the EQ will lower the volume by around 5 dB to avoid clipping when EQ sliders are maxed out. This is a feature.

You can adjust all the EQ presets.

Check out the custom themes available:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread#post_11680988

You should ENJOY THE MUSIC!!

I still got like questions I can't even think up of right now and I'm about to go to sleep but just a random question, how do I play music in 192kHz/24 bit?  I got some flac music files if that helps

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,122 of 7,088
I still got like questions I can't even think up of right now and I'm about to go to sleep but just a random question, how do I play music in 192kHz/24 bit?  I got some flac music files if that helps

It's automatic. If your file has 24 bit depth and 192 kHz sampling rate the X5ii will play it. You can't up sample or down sample any files on the X5ii. You need to purchase high res music to play high res music.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #4,123 of 7,088

Hmmm, I've been surprised by some Ebay/Amazon purchases I apparently made late, late at night but how exactly does one plan on accomplishing this?  Or is your short term memory that bad??

Gonna pretend I didn't know about it. :)

On a side note, one more question to x RELIC x:

In folder view, is it possible to hide file extensions so that you only see the bare file name?

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #4,124 of 7,088
Gonna pretend I didn't know about it. :)

On a side note, one more question to x RELIC x:

In folder view, is it possible to hide file extensions so that you only see the bare file name?

No, you can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back