FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #3,961 of 7,088
Music sounds clean clear and blacker:sunglasses:

Cool. Maybe I'll look into getting one...so how does the center button feel on your X5ii? Wiggly, loose? or firm as it should be...just curious because mine will be coming in a day or so and I've heard a couple things on the center button being not exactly firm...the center button on my X3ii was fine.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,962 of 7,088

Cool. Maybe I'll look into getting one...so how does the center button feel on your X5ii? Wiggly, loose? or firm as it should be...just curious because mine will be coming in a day or so and I've heard a couple things on the center button being not exactly firm...the center button on my X3ii was fine.

I purchased my Fiio X5ii two to three months ago. I haven't found any problems with the centre button or wheel & I haven't been overly delicate with it, although of course you should handle it with care. ( like anything ! )

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,963 of 7,088

I think that that was a joke. Microsd cards do not make a difference in SQ most of times. and even if they do, I highly doubt it is enough for most to notice. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,964 of 7,088
  I did receive my X5ii yesterday. I will not be doing a proper time study on the lag comparison between the X5ii and X3ii, as I am returning the X5ii because of the faulty center button. Anyways, I did spend some time with it and used the SD card from my X3ii (so please take it with a grain of salt). The SD card had around 10GB of music. And only a couple of albums or folders had album art. Here are my observations. (I am not sure where I stand when it comes to believing device burn-inBut those of you who do believe, this comparison was between a X3ii with 50 hrs runtime and out of the box X5ii.)

Edit: I should also add that, the unit I received came with a black silicone case and not the clear case, so it was probably the 1st batch.

• Overall, the transitions and the cursor movements on the X5ii are slightly slower than on the X3ii. To be fair for just this part, I played around with both the devices without any SD card inserted on either of the devices. Even the Fiio welcome animation renders slightly slower on the X5ii when compared to the X3ii. If you did not have X3ii to compare it side by side, you probably wouldn't even know.
  • When playing tracks on X5ii from a folder with album art, the reaction to pressing Back button is slightly slower than with folders without album art. The same is true for the X3ii, and but the transition is slightly quicker on the X3ii.
  • Skipping tracks on X5ii in a folder with album art takes a second or two to show the change on the screen but the new song plays immediately. The same was observed on the X3ii, but this time, the new screen loaded noticeably faster than on the X5ii.
  • Turning the EQ On did not have any impact on the speed or performance.
  • I certainly wouldn’t call these lags but rather the device’s behavior as it hardly had any impact on my user experience.
  • X5ii does get slightly warmer than the X3ii, but definitely within comfortable level.
  • The X5ii was just as pleasurable to use as X3ii. In fact, I liked the feel of pressing the flush buttons on the X5ii than the over-the-surface buttons on X3ii.
  • Sound comparison: I couldn’t perform a blind test, but I am sure I would have been able to identify the devices based on the tracks. On few tracks, I couldn’t tell the difference between the two, while on certain tracks the difference was quite apparent and on certain tracks paying very close attention would reveal the difference.
  • So based on listening to the tracks that revealed the difference between the two: Soundstage was slightly wider and deeper on the X5ii. The instruments sounded more natural and had better separation and layering on X5ii. The background on the X5ii was cleaner than the already clean background of X3ii. The X5ii had a nice sub-bass extension and rumble, something I did not find on the X3ii. Detail wise, both were on the same level, but X5ii had a sightly better clarity and resolution. The bass and treble extensions were better on the X5ii. The mids felt somewhat distant on the X5ii, but increasing the volume 2 or 3 steps solved this and sounded clear on the X5ii. These differences were not day/night but definitely perceivable. 
  • I used a Sennheiser IE80 which is a warm IEM. I don't own a neutral headphone/IEM. I wonder, if using a neutral headphone would set these two apart even further.

I definitely think X5ii will be a better option than the X3ii as long as you are not on a tight budget. If you have well recorded tracks or tracks with analog instruments, X5ii will clearly outperform the X3ii.  

Nice comparison; are you returning the device for good, or are you planning on getting a replacement?

I also wonder what other differences between batches are... I read in some places that the device is made of titanium, but in older reviews the device is stated to be made of aluminum. I've got a couple tiny dents that resemble aluminum build quality on mine despite the product page on amazon stating that the device is made of titanium. If anyone could confirm what the thing is actually made of, then that would be great.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #3,965 of 7,088

Nice comparison; are you returning the device for good, or are you planning on getting a replacement?

I also wonder what other differences between batches are... I read in some places that the device is made of titanium, but in older reviews the device is stated to be made of aluminum. I've got a couple tiny dents that resemble aluminum build quality on mine despite the product page on amazon stating that the device is made of titanium. If anyone could confirm what the thing is actually made of, then that would be great.

Thanks. I am returning it for good. I have become very comfortable with the X3ii, so I am just going to stick with it for now and may be shoot for something bigger like the X7 or Onkyo DP-X1 in the future.

The material of the outer shell is Aluminum and the color is Titanium.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,966 of 7,088

I purchased my Fiio X5ii two to three months ago. I haven't found any problems with the centre button or wheel & I haven't been overly delicate with it, although of course you should handle it with care. ( like anything ! )

Yes of course..like with my X3ii I'll likely use the buttons alot for navigation as well..it just seems natural to me to use them more. it might reduce wear and tear on the wheel too.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,967 of 7,088
  I think that that was a joke. Microsd cards do not make a difference in SQ most of times. and even if they do, I highly doubt it is enough for most to notice. 

Oh it may have been a joke..I read a bit on those cards and most articles call it snake oil. I was mostly interested in finding out about the feel and durability of the X5ii center button...how do you find yours? A fellow on here just got his and he said the center button was "squishy" and too sensitive. I expect it would be the same as the button on the X3ii which I find to be just fine.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #3,969 of 7,088

Oh it may have been a joke..I read a bit on those cards and most articles call it snake oil. I was mostly interested in finding out about the feel and durability of the X5ii center button...how do you find yours? A fellow on here just got his and he said the center button was "squishy" and too sensitive. I expect it would be the same as the button on the X3ii which I find to be just fine.

The center button is the same as X3II. 

Feels firm, and had a goof feedback. No complaints here.

X5 used to have a squishy center button, but on X5II it is somewhat better, if not placebo better!

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3,971 of 7,088
Has anyone had any trouble using their X5ii with their stereo. I have it hooked up to coaxial in and the amp and the X5ii is set to coax.out. But I'm not getting any audio.
I cannot see a problem unless it is a bad rca jack on the amp.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,972 of 7,088
I can't get mine to work with the Chord Mojo. Original X5 is fine. And yes, I did the nonstandard coax cable that came with the X5 ii

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #3,973 of 7,088
I've had my X5ii for around twenty-four hours & have a problem or two that maybe someone here knows how to solve:

Is the reason the player won't read a file's metadata that I am not copying the .xmp files to the sd card along with the files themselves? I can only browse by folder or by all songs– artist, track order, album title is not recognized. I am using Audition on a computer that is not mine to convert already ripped wav's to flac, so new software might be out of the question.

I have not updated the firmware yet, & I have experienced one bug (twice) during a total of 1.5 hours listening time. Is a firmware update necessary or is Rockbox a better option?

thanks

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3,974 of 7,088
  Has anyone had any trouble using their X5ii with their stereo. I have it hooked up to coaxial in and the amp and the X5ii is set to coax.out. But I'm not getting any audio.
I cannot see a problem unless it is a bad rca jack on the amp.

Nope not bad RCA jack on amp. Tested it. Hmmm. Seems coax out doesn't work.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3,975 of 7,088
I can't get mine to work with the Chord Mojo. Original X5 is fine. And yes, I did the nonstandard coax cable that came with the X5 ii

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

That X5 ii that I was having trouble with was actually an X3 ii (this was a lot easier when they didn't look so much alike).  The X5 ii working fine with the Mojo, if you use the included VERY non-standard coax-out cable. Don't know what the problem is with my X3 ii, but now that I can tell them apart, I'll probably get that one working, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back