FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #3,856 of 7,088

Dual RCA on back SHOULD be true line-level input just needing good shielded RCA male to 3.5 male cable. Probably better off at a forum like http://www.diymobileaudio.com to get tips and/or find out if others are equally dissapointed with line-in of your particular head unit before deciding on upgrade.

Well I did some research and although specs on aux. line in are sparse the tech guy at Crutchfield say most aux. line in are 1V-1.2V (1000mV-1200mV) max. input voltage. But I found the specs on a few older head units with dual rca aux. line in at the rear with 2V aux. max. input voltage. Some of the newer units Blaupunkt are as low as 0.3V(300mV) aux. max. input voltage. Wonder why the Blaupunkt is playing the X5ii well?
Just thought I'd share what I found in case anyone else is wanting to use the X5ii with their car stereo.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,857 of 7,088
  Thanks. Will try out the themes. Also do hope that Fiio will address the font size issue in future updates.

Any update on any way to increase the font size? Not being able to read the current track title/etc. because it's 5 pixels tall has become annoying enough to be a dealbreaker, and I'm planning to sell if there is no solution. I just seriously can't believe anyone sane would design a UI like this.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #3,858 of 7,088

Any update on any way to increase the font size? Not being able to read the current track title/etc. because it's 5 pixels tall has become annoying enough to be a dealbreaker, and I'm planning to sell if there is no solution. I just seriously can't believe anyone sane would design a UI like this.

Hi, at present, unlike the X1 and X3II, the font size of the X5II can not be adjusted by the end users themselves. But we plan to release a official firmware for the X5II with the bigger font size in the future. So you can pay attention to it at that time. 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,860 of 7,088
  I am using Windows 10 on a Dell Vostro 3400. Installed the official DAC driver and it reported "failed". Obviously it doesnt work as a USB DAC. Any suggestion what i can do?

You will need to follow these instructions to load drivers on Win 10.........
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Completely
    Open a Command Prompt with admin privileges. In Windows 10 or 8, just press the Windows key + X and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    Type in the following command and press Enter.
    bcdedit /set testsigning on
    You should receive “The operation completed successfully” message.
    Close the Command Prompt and restart your computer. From now on, you will be able to install or run any unsigned driver without problems.
    If you need to enable the Driver Signature Enforcement again, run this command instead:
    bcdedit /set testsigning off

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,861 of 7,088

Open a Command Prompt with admin privileges. In Windows 10 or 8, just press the Windows key + X and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    Close the Command Prompt and restart your computer. From now on, you will be able to install or run any unsigned driver without problems.
    If you need to enable the Driver Signature Enforcement again, run this command instead:

I'm not thrilled with the idea of disabling driver enforcement entirely but there is a less universal (if annoying) workaround:

Bottom line - FIIO needs to step up and get their drivers validated. It's not that expensive and exists for a reason ...

Enforcing Kernel-Mode Signature Verification in Kernel Debugging Mode

However, there are situations in which a developer might need to have a kernel debugger attached, yet also need to maintain load-time signature enforcement. For example, when a driver stack has an unsigned driver (such as a filter driver) that fails to load, which may invalidate the entire stack. Because attaching a debugger allows the unsigned driver to load, the problem appears to vanish as soon as the debugger is attached. Debugging this type of issue may be difficult.
In order to facilitate debugging such issues, the kernel-mode code signing policy supports the following registry value:

Code:
 HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CI\DebugFlags

This registry value is of type REG_DWORD, and can be assigned a value based on a bitwise OR of one or more of the following flags:

0x00000001
This flag value configures the kernel to break into the debugger if a driver is unsigned. The developer or tester can then choose to load the unsigned driver by entering g at the debugger prompt.
0x00000010
This flag value configures the kernel to ignore the presence of the debugger and to always block an unsigned driver from loading.
If this registry value does not exist in the registry or has a value that is not based on the flags described previously, the kernel always loads a driver in kernel debugging mode regardless of whether the driver is signed.
Note  This registry value does not exist in the registry by default. You must create the value in order to debug the kernel-mode signature verification.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #3,862 of 7,088

that works flawlessly!! thanks!!!

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,863 of 7,088
How is the bass impact on the X5ii compared to the X3ii? For my tastes, I find the X3ii to lack in the bass department in terms of quantity and impact.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3,864 of 7,088
How is the bass impact on the X5ii compared to the X3ii? For my tastes, I find the X3ii to lack in the bass department in terms of quantity and impact.

Both measure flat.  If you want more bass - either:
  1. Apply in-built EQ (easy to do on both)
  2. Match with bassier headphones
  3. Add an amp with bass-boost

What you're looking for is colouration of the signal.  You're far better doing that with the actual transducers, or with EQ.  The last thing a DAP should be is overly coloured IMO.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,865 of 7,088

What you're looking for is colouration of the signal.  You're far better doing that with the actual transducers, or with EQ.  The last thing a DAP should be is overly coloured IMO.

+1 See forum like The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club)  -   I wanted bass without sacrificing SQ and just received my ASG 2.5's and I'm in awe. 

With flat EQ on X5 and Bass Boost defeated on E12 they produce jaw dropping bass impact - tight, fast & deep without sacrificing mids and highs. Not starting ASG 2.5 review but I'm just on a high at the moment - amazing soundstage, detail + real bass
basshead.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3,866 of 7,088

Well I have checked the points 1 and 2.

1.   - The EQ seems to increase the bass volume but not the impact. And also clouds the mids more than I would expect
2.   - I own a Senn IE80 which is bassy. It has a lot of mid-bass but lacks the deep sub-bass I am looking for. Opening the bass port on the IE80 only veils the lower mids further

Before the X3ii I spent a few days with a Sony NWZ-A15 before returning it. The bass on the Sony A15 is what I am looking for. Deep, impactful and sumptuous bass. There was a Clear Bass in the EQ setting that increased this bass without clouding the mids much. But then, yes, it adds colour to the sound. I guess my only option is to add an amp with bass setting. Thanks for the input.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,867 of 7,088

+1 See forum like The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club)  -   I wanted bass without sacrificing SQ and just received my ASG 2.5's and I'm in awe. 

With flat EQ on X5 and Bass Boost defeated on E12 they produce jaw dropping bass impact - tight, fast & deep without sacrificing mids and highs. Not starting ASG 2.5 review but I'm just on a high at the moment - amazing soundstage, detail + real bass
basshead.gif

I have been reading about the ASG 2.5. But it's out of my budget. Just bought an IE80 a few months back for $285, and based on what I have read, IE80 seems to be a little brother to the ASG 2.5. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #3,868 of 7,088
  Well I have checked the points 1 and 2.

1.   - The EQ seems to increase the bass volume but not the impact. And also clouds the mids more than I would expect
2.   - I own a Senn IE80 which is bassy. It has a lot of mid-bass but lacks the deep sub-bass I am looking for. Opening the bass port on the IE80 only veils the lower mids further

Before the X3ii I spent a few days with a Sony NWZ-A15 before returning it. The bass on the Sony A15 is what I am looking for. Deep, impactful and sumptuous bass. There was a Clear Bass in the EQ setting that increased this bass without clouding the mids much. But then, yes, it adds colour to the sound. I guess my only option is to add an amp with bass setting. Thanks for the input.

All the Fiios (by design) drop the volume by about 4-6dB (can't remember which I think it's 6dB), when you apply EQ.  This is so you don't clip the signal.  So apply the EQ, then turn the volume up to compensate.  You'll find that you'll get your increase in bass, and the perceived drop in clarity is simply lower volume.

The funny thing is that this is exactly the issue when a lot of people do A/B tests.  They never volume match - and increased volume (even slight) leads to the (incorrect) idea that there is increased clarity, soundstage etc.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3,869 of 7,088
This! ^

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,870 of 7,088

All the Fiios (by design) drop the volume by about 4-6dB (can't remember which I think it's 6dB), when you apply EQ.  This is so you don't clip the signal.  So apply the EQ, then turn the volume up to compensate.  You'll find that you'll get your increase in bass, and the perceived drop in clarity is simply lower volume.

The funny thing is that this is exactly the issue when a lot of people do A/B tests.  They never volume match - and increased volume (even slight) leads to the (incorrect) idea that there is increased clarity, soundstage etc.

I do increase the volume from ~44/120 to ~56/120 when I switch from No EQ to the Custom EQ. But your point, even a slight difference in the volume can project a perceivable difference; I can’t confirm that as I do not have any measuring equipment. But I will take your advice and experiment with the EQ to see if I am able to get what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back