FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 25, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #3,616 of 7,088

Good to know, i've only had my E12A for a short while - sounds solid with my P7s but have barely broken it in yet

this happen with every boot. It takes about 30 minutes from cold turn on to it's best sound. 

It is just the design of op-amps that makes this, and should be taken into account when comparing with/without E12A sound, cold it might have less soundstage and other different characteristics. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,618 of 7,088
  Now I am using the X5k with E12A but hate to hold it on my hand on the go. I wonder how do you guys store and carry the Fiio stacks?

Me got a sidebag for men from a generic clothes store. 

does a good job, nowdays also carries my smartphone and X5II alone when needed. Much better than using pockets. 

Photo

EDIT1:::

Also gives access to front buttons, and to volume from E12A, if you just open a zipper, pretty good for carrying a stack. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3,619 of 7,088
  Me got a sidebag for men from a generic clothes store. 

does a good job, nowdays also carries my smartphone and X5II alone when needed. Much better than using pockets. 

Photo

EDIT1:::

Also gives access to front buttons, and to volume from E12A, if you just open a zipper, pretty good for carrying a stack. 

Really nice man! Thank you.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,622 of 7,088
Hello I'm hoping someone can help me so that I don't have to go out and buy another micro SD card today.

Does anybody know a solution for this: After I transfer songs to my X5 v2, it says "file not supported" when I try to play it in the X5. Then when I copy the file back to my PC, the VLC player says the "UNDF" file can't be read. But it gets strange. The source files are solid: the original files can be played on my PC, as well as when copied immediately to then back from my SD card. The fluke happens always after the X5 scans to update the playlist - at this point all my files are rendered useless.

This happens on various file types and sizes, and whether or not I manually or auto. update the playlist on X5, and whether or not I unmount the USB cable after transfer - same results with the SD card inserted directly versus USB transfer too. However it seems to be mostly happening with 'non-brand' tracks, meaning AAC / mp3 rips of streaming online radio.
Thanks for any advice...

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,624 of 7,088
When you say PC do you mean a Windows machine and not a Mac? If it's a Mac be careful with file naming structures using periods because that can cause errors

Eg, rename iron.maiden.killer.mp3 to iron-maiden-killers.mp3

That is, if file names are your problem, is it all or just some files that fail?

Failing that, try converting a file as a test in audacity from whatever format you think you have to another you know you don't, eg, .mp3 convert to a .wav as a test to try and iron out the problem

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #3,625 of 7,088
Am I the only one here that is not gonna buy this beautiful device until it upgrades its poor and little 2.4" non-touch screen to a 5" touch-screen (covering all the area of the device) with a totally refreshed UI and controls?

I thought FiiO X5ii was the perfect professional music player for me, but after thinking about it over the months, I've concluded that I don't really want an iPod nano-like device. This is 2015, these devices should totally come with "big" touch-screens like smartphones. Touch-screens are quicker, faster, more intuitive and you can do much more things with them. Also everything becomes bigger and more beautiful, bigger cover arts, menus, more options...

I really hope they update the screen in the forthcoming generations to a 5" touch-screen and change all the interface, aiming its control to a multi-touch screen.

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,626 of 7,088
  Am I the only one here that is not gonna buy this beautiful device until it upgrades its poor and little 2.4" non-touch screen to a 5" touch-screen (covering all the area of the device) with a totally refreshed UI and controls?

I thought FiiO X5ii was the perfect professional music player for me, but after thinking about it over the months, I've concluded that I don't really want an iPod nano-like device. This is 2015, these devices should totally come with "big" touch-screens like smartphones. Touch-screens are quicker, faster, more intuitive and you can do much more things with them. Also everything becomes bigger and more beautiful, bigger cover arts, menus, more options...

I really hope they update the screen in the forthcoming generations to a 5" touch-screen and change all the interface, aiming its control to a multi-touch screen.

I think that you will like Fiio x7 when it comes out. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,627 of 7,088

I think that you will like Fiio x7 when it comes out. 

Wow, something like that! Although I don't know why the screen only occupies 60% of the device...

But OUCH!
It's gonna cost $700. The FiiO X5ii costs $350 and I think it's gonna cost less in the next months. So it's double the price for just adding a touchscreen. I see there that it has WiFi, that's kind of cool, but there's a huge leap between those prices.

About the size of the screen. These devices should be as compact and portable as possible, so we don't want them to be huge. That should force DAP manufacturers to take advantage of every single inch of the front face. The touch-screen should occupy like 90% of the front face.

For that price ($700), it should has 64GB or 128GB of internal memory (that costs about $40), it should has x2 card slots, it should has also a full version of Android Lollipop or later (Google Store fully working) and not a limited imitation.

The specs it has right know should put it into the $450, not much more. Considering the X5ii costs $350, I would pay those extra $100 for the touchscreen and stuff, but $350 more is just not right with the actual specs.

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3,628 of 7,088
  Wow, something like that! Although I don't know why the screen only occupies 60% of the device...

But OUCH!
It's gonna cost $700. The FiiO X5ii costs $350 and I think it's gonna cost less in the next months. So it's double the price for just adding a touchscreen. I see there that it has WiFi, that's kind of cool, but there's a huge leap between those prices.

About the size of the screen. These devices should be as compact and portable as possible, so we don't want them to be huge. That should force DAP manufacturers to take advantage of every single inch of the front face. The touch-screen should occupy like 90% of the front face.

For that price ($700), it should has 64GB or 128GB of internal memory (that costs about $40), it should has x2 card slots, it should has also a full version of Android Lollipop or later (Google Store fully working) and not a limited imitation.

The specs it has right know should put it into the $450, not much more. Considering the X5ii costs $350, I would pay those extra $100 for the touchscreen and stuff, but $350 more is just not right with the actual specs.

the reason the bottom part is not occupied by the screen is due to the interchangeability of it. that part is replaceable with another opamp/dac/whatever else is in there.
reason why there's no integration of, for instance, google play store, is because this is a music player. not a gaming device, not a pda, not a communications device. an audio player.

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3,629 of 7,088

the reason the bottom part is not occupied by the screen is due to the interchangeability of it. that part is replaceable with another opamp/dac/whatever else is in there.
reason why there's no integration of, for instance, google play store, is because this is a music player. not a gaming device, not a pda, not a communications device. an audio player.

I know it's a music player, I did not mean that it gotta have a fully working Google Play to play Angry Birds. But what about Chrome, Firefox, Notes, Amazon App to search for audio stuff, YouTube, Video Players, microSD Card Manager, launchers, widgets, etc. Customization, one word defines all.

For $700, I don't want to depend on FiiO for a good internet browser, a good YouTube player, a good SD card Manager, a good Video Player, etc. I think it's quite reasonable to request a full Android version if you're gonna pay $700 for that device. It has Bluetooth, that's not very useful for a music player. It's not really necessary a WiFi, but if it has, then put into it a great software like Android, cause you're selling it for $700, big bucks (remember the X5ii is $350, and the difference is a touchscreen and software improvement. That does not cost $350).

I didn't know that the lower part was removable. That's weird. Why would you want to change it?

P.D: may be we're doing some off-topic right here. Is there an official X7 thread?

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,630 of 7,088
  I know it's a music player, I did not mean that it gotta have a fully working Google Play to play Angry Birds. But what about Chrome, Firefox, Notes, Amazon App to search for audio stuff, YouTube, Video Players, microSD Card Manager, launchers, widgets, etc. Customization, one word defines all.

For $700, I don't want to depend on FiiO for a good internet browser, a good YouTube player, a good SD card Manager, a good Video Player, etc. I think it's quite reasonable to request a full Android version if you're gonna pay $700 for that device. It has Bluetooth, that's not very useful for a music player. It's not really necessary a WiFi, but if it has, then put into it a great software like Android, cause you're selling it for $700, big bucks (remember the X5ii is $350, and the difference is a touchscreen and software improvement. That does not cost $350).

I didn't know that the lower part was removable. That's weird. Why would you want to change it?

P.D: may be we're doing some off-topic right here. Is there an official X7 thread?

there is: http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/x7-the-flagship-dap-from-fiio-updated-on-15-12-2014
ill x-post reply to you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back