FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 8, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #2,416 of 7,088
  One will get used to it, but a capacitive non-moving wheel like the Apple device would have been better.  Without access to the 'tour' model it's impossible to judge if better or different.  I can only compare against what I have been used to.

I'd read how the non-moving wheel is copyrighted by Apple so FiiO couldn't replicate that.  The similarity in appearance to an iPod has helped FiiO get a foothold as customers visually searched around for replacements to their discontinued Classic iPod.  I don't mind FiiO's moving wheel at all.  I clean the surface of my players as well as blow compressed air within the crevices.  It's kept everything operating well.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #2,417 of 7,088

Yes, I used the E12A often with the X5 and I do believe that it is better sounding than the amp built into the X5, but not so much so that I couldn't go back and enjoy the X5 on its own. The E12A made a bigger improvement to the X1 and made it sound like a different DAP, in my opinion. Actually after listening to her X1 with the E12A my wife asked me how much it would cost to add one to her setup (X1 & E12A). Instead, I simply bought the X5 II and now she using the OG X5. I must admit that the X1 is a stellar DAP for the price and very well built...hard to beat at that price.

I haven't used the E12A with the X5 II yet, I want to use the new player for a month or so before adding the amp so that it's easier for me to hear what difference it makes and if that difference is an improvement. Both the X5 and the X5 II have plenty of power for "most" headphones and IEM's. 

On the next one, they should put the X1 guts into the X3II body and call it a day. Oh yeah, I said it!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do it! @JamesFiiO We love you man!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,418 of 7,088
I own the Cambridge Audio Minx m5 2.1 speakers for PC.  The 'controller' which is used to turn the speakers on and off and control the volume has a turn wheel which sounds very like the one descibed on these FiiO products.

(I've just tried to include an image but the forum sys I do not have permission)

If you search online you will find an image of it.

I think it will be wise to invest in one of those compressed air spray cleaners (any recommended brands please?)

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #2,419 of 7,088
Be very careful indeed shooting compressed air into those type of wheels. If you're using an actual compressor you could get some oils or moisture blowing in. If you used the "canned air" types there is often an aerosol or propellant in there which may not do well for the internals.

I just wouldn't do it unless I had a known problem.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #2,420 of 7,088

On the next one, they should put the X1 guts into the X3II body and call it a day. Oh yeah, I said it!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do it! @JamesFiiO We love you man!!!
biggrin.gif

Why would you want the lesser quality parts of the X1 put into the X3? Maybe I'm missing the joke (sorry). I believe the X1 was meant as a starter DAP to complete against the DAC in your smartphone and I'm of the opinion that FiiO did a tremendous job designing it. That's not to say that it sounds as good or better than the X3 II. 

After listening to the X1, I couldn't believe how veiled my Sansa Clip Zip+ sounds...now I use the Clip as my audiobook player. Ya gotta watch out for audiobooks, they're very addictive!  

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,421 of 7,088

Why would you want the lesser quality parts of the X1 put into the X3? Maybe I'm missing the joke (sorry). I believe the X1 was meant as a starter DAP to complete against the DAC in your smartphone and I'm of the opinion that FiiO did a tremendous job designing it. That's not to say that it sounds as good or better than the X3 II. 

After listening to the X1, I couldn't believe how veiled my Sansa Clip Zip+ sounds...now I use the Clip as my audiobook player. Ya gotta watch out for audiobooks, they're very addictive!  

I don't feel they use "lesser" parts at all, I think that's Head-Fi placebo IMHO. In the bold I quoted what you said because I really feel this way.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,422 of 7,088
  Be very careful indeed shooting compressed air into those type of wheels.

I do it from a healthy distance and only if there's evidence of debris.  I used air to dislodge a troublesome particle, that if I'd employed a physical object, even something as benign as a piece of paper, might have wedged further within.

The particle in question turned out to be a infinitesimal sliver from the silicone case... and it risked gumming up the wheel. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,423 of 7,088
  I do it from a healthy distance and only if there's evidence of debris.  I used air to dislodge a troublesome particle, that if I'd employed a physical object, even something as benign as a piece of paper, might have wedged further within.

The particle in question turned out to be a infinitesimal sliver from the silicone case... and it risked gumming up the wheel. 

That I agree with :) sorry - more just a cautionary statement on my part above 
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,425 of 7,088

No need to apologize as the clarification is important.

Cheers mate. Okay, so I have in my little mitts a fully charged demo unit for the Canadian tour (thanks Relic, and especially Fiio!),

Into the cave I go. If anyone has something specific I could help answer.....fire away!

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #2,426 of 7,088
Cheers mate. Okay, so I have in my little mitts a fully charged demo unit for the Canadian tour (thanks Relic, and especially Fiio!),

Into the cave I go. If anyone has something specific I could help answer.....fire away!

Give the default themes a spin, then load the custom themes. I think you'll prefer them. :wink_face:

Edit: I've just updated my custom theme FW so if you've already downloaded it I suggest you grab it again.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,427 of 7,088
Give the default themes a spin, then load the custom themes. I think you'll prefer them.
wink_face.gif

Edit: I've just updated my custom theme FW so if you've already downloaded it I suggest you grab it again.

You know Analogue is going on there ASAP lol. Nothing to do with the review - more 'just cause 
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2,428 of 7,088
Digital out is only preferable if you're outputting to a superior DAC. Not all stereos are better than the X5.

Coaxial bypasses the X5's DAC and Amp. Regular Line-out bypasses only the Amp.

It all depends on your needs and desires.

Thanks PinkyPowers as that's good information to know. My main home theatre receiver is the Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX and the DAC specs read:
Digital Analog Conversion (DAC)Wolfson WM8728 192 kHz / 24-bit DAC

I'm using an above average AudioQuest Forest digital coaxial cable and think it the X5ii sounds great with the VSX-23THX set up. Since the display doesn't confirm kHz / bit info, I trust hi res audio is being transmitted from the X5ii without any limitation and/or downgrade. To be honest, I'm not sure if Wolfson's WM8728 is better than the X5ii's latest TI chipsets...thoughts?

From what you've said,  I imagine the receiver/amp in my home office (an older Denon AVR-1801) will require the line out option. I think the coax option would not convert well and the X5ii has the advantage meaning I'd use line out.

Thanks again and hope this info helps others to some degree.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,430 of 7,088

Users who are viewing this thread

Back