FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2,386 of 7,088

Why pity? I had the original X3 on launch, the original X5 on launch and now X5ii. Just keeping with tradition. :wink:

To be honest I love the ergonomics, multiple themes and slight bump in SQ (though slight it's enough for me to miss it going back). Pus, deep sleep is a must have feature for me now.

The original X5 is staying with my desktop setup as a source.

Meaning you were without for.......5 days? :wink:

The unit you shipped arrived safely yesterday - still in the box but next two days off to play :)

I know. I was going to grab the N6 (still might) but the X5ii was screaming at me to buy it. Besides, I'm a bit put off by the N6 UI and battery life. But the sound....... Mmmmmm.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,387 of 7,088
Why pity? I had the original X3 on launch, the original X5 on launch and now X5ii. Just keeping with tradition.
wink.gif

To be honest I love the ergonomics, multiple themes and slight bump in SQ (though slight it's enough for me to miss it going back). Pus, deep sleep is a must have feature for me now.

Ah… makes so much sense now
wink_face.gif
 (but what about the x1? Your family isn't complete)

I'm still hoping I can grab one sometime this summer, hopefully before the dollar tanks any more and they double in price 
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2,390 of 7,088
Ah… makes so much sense now:wink_face:  (but what about the x1? Your family isn't complete)

I'm still hoping I can grab one sometime this summer, hopefully before the dollar tanks any more and they double in price :frowning2:

Don't like the screen on the X1 after using the X5, and not sure I like the SQ quite as much. :wink_face:

How much are the x5 2nd gen in Canada?
They are between $549 and $599 here-NZ.
The original still sells for $459.

$424 CAD plus tax.

x RELIC x: Congrats on the X5ii!

Regarding the N6, you know you're just waiting for the two-slot N5 anyways :wink_face:

You know it. :wink_face: So many choices right now. I'm also still waiting for the Questyle QP1/R. I'm going to be one of those guys who has 4 DAPs or more, but can't bring myself to pay for an AK240. Lol!

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #2,391 of 7,088
Is there anyone living in the UK reading this thread who has bought a final release FiiO x5ii?

1. Which company did you buy it from?

2. Did it include a case?  What is it like?

3. What is the turn wheel like (some who had the 'tour' model said that the final model version would be different \ better)?

Many thanks for any information.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,392 of 7,088
Re: the wheel. Yes it's improved over the tour unit. More accurate for sure and absolutely no gremlins in the movement, like CCW action when scrolling CW of the tour unit.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,393 of 7,088
You know it. :wink_face: So many choices right now. I'm also still waiting for the Questyle QP1/R. I'm going to be one of those guys who has 4 DAPs or more, but can't bring myself to pay for an AK240. Lol!

Haha! Join the club :wink_face:

DX90, X3, X5 + old skool DR7 minidisc and iRiver IHP-140 in the house on my end!

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #2,394 of 7,088
  Not to derail here, so I'll only make one comment on the maths there. Your basic premise is correct (and there's nothing wrong with the formula) except:

- that applies to a DC supply or an AC supply into a purely resistive load
- coils are inductive, and with an inherently AC sound signal they will react to the voltage with a reactance: impedance, capacitance and resistance, LCR. The most significant of these is L or impedance, not R or resistance. Capacitance is pretty negligible.
- an AC circuit into an inductive load does not generate a linear current in the time-domain, e.g. there is lead or lag, sometimes referred to as phase
- the speed at which an inductive load reaches full current is dependent largely on the voltage vs the impedance. In other words, higher voltage will fully energize the coil faster than a lower voltage into the same coil.
- the driver can accelerate faster and greater control is achieved if the voltage is higher.

Generally, this is why higher voltage is more important to high-impedance cans.

Hope that helps - no further comment 
wink.gif

Fine, but I'm not sure I understand your point. I wanted to know why, knowing the power at 16, 32 and 300 Ohm impedance of the X5, the maximum voltage calculated according to formula Power = U^2/R varies with impedance of headphones (it's highest with high impedance cans).The maximum voltage of any source does not depend on what we connect to it and resistance of the load, but if I understand correctly this is not the case with alternating current (the moving coil produces voltage that opposes to the change of current, thus the voltage is lower). But wait, why the voltage is lower with low impedance cans? Coils of low impedance cans generate more opposite voltage?

Back to discussion - it doesn't matter how powerful the player is - if we play music on the first source that can do max 10V and that has enough current for the headphones, and the second source that can do max 3V and has enough current, and play it at volume level of, say, 3V, they will sound the same. So high impedance headphones, at worst, won't play loud enough with a portable player and there are no other bad things that may happen to the sound.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,396 of 7,088
I can't wait for the Dignis case to come out for this player.  The silicone case is really nice but it doesn't let me use my chargers since the opening on it is too small.  I'll have to cut the opening larger sometime this weekend.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,398 of 7,088
You know it.
wink_face.gif
So many choices right now. I'm also still waiting for the Questyle QP1/R. I'm going to be one of those guys who has 4 DAPs or more, but can't bring myself to pay for an AK240. Lol!

That makes sense to me, since if you buy the AK240... what's the point of getting less expensive DAPS, especially if any of them best the higher priced ones?  It's like buying a Ferrari, then going shopping for a Volvo. I wasn't expecting to enjoy Hidizs' maiden effort as much as I am.  Out of principle I won't pay over a certain threshold for a portable unit someone else could filch and stick in their pocket.  I'm also able to justify buying all the upgrades as long as I'm not shelling out too heavily investing in just one.  So far, the most I've paid for a DAP is the HiFiman's 901s.  I'm enjoying it, but still keen on the Questyle QP1, as I'm a fan of the company and its people, as well as the Hidizs AP300 which looks to mimic the top end of the Astell & Kern product line, but hopefully not their prices.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #2,399 of 7,088
  I can't wait for the Dignis case to come out for this player.  The silicone case is really nice but it doesn't let me use my chargers since the opening on it is too small.  I'll have to cut the opening larger sometime this weekend.

They came out with cases for the X3 II almost concurrently, so I'm surprised to see only the original X5 sleeves still being proffered.  I checked the Dignis website as well, nothing yet.  I like the silicon case FiiO provides as well, but ever since FiiO announced it's scented with jasmine, I'm self conscious how that clashes with my aftershave.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,400 of 7,088
  Is there anyone living in the UK reading this thread who has bought a final release FiiO x5ii?

1. Which company did you buy it from?

2. Did it include a case?  What is it like?

3. What is the turn wheel like (some who had the 'tour' model said that the final model version would be different \ better)?

Many thanks for any information.

Yes!

1) I got mine from EA Audio, who are apparently Fiio's 'official' UK retailer. No problems, quick delivery, and good service. I purchased from their site, but I see they also sell on Amazon.

2) It comes with a black silicon case, which works pretty well whilst on the go. (As you may have read, it's a bit of a dust magnet, but it does protect the device, and also helps you to not plug your headphones into the LO accidentally!). I also bought the Fiio HS7 hard case from them, and that works well.

3) It's hard to gauge the 'overall' take on the wheel given peoples different experiences in this thread, especially with regard to the tour unit, which I didn't try. However, I would say that the one on my unit is 'fine'. I would argue that it is not quite up to the build quality of the rest of the device, but on the flip side it causes no real issues. It feels a little loose, and my biggest gripe is that it does occasionally skip. However, I would certainly say that it does nothing to detract from my overall enjoyment of the X5ii!

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back