FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,161 of 7,088
  Hi good sound,

Thanks for the info.

Perhaps - but not something I had time to read in the 144 pages of post to date.

The UI has OTG under Folders (it's active to select), exactly as the old X5 does, but it doesn't appear to work. An available option is a contract with the user that it should work; even more so with the identical OTG cable and USB storage device (my $0.02 - of course)

I otherwise like the X5 2nd Gen, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this is addressed as OTG allows me to carry 256GB USB sticks with lots of content; exactly as I have with my 1st generation X5. If it's not addressed, the X5 II will unfortunately be going back.

I did get my OTG to work with a cable I got from monoprice that was made for an Android Phone. Hooked a 128GB Slider to it .

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2,162 of 7,088
  i have this leef card reader: http://www.amazon.com/Leef-microSD-microUSB-Connector-Android/dp/B00J2D7R20

Good find, but I think @mshmovie 's issue is that the setup he had working fine with X5 will not work with X5ii.
FiiO provided details of which controller was needed for OTG to work with X5 and a number of users have reported as to what does and doesn't work.
Similar info is required from FiiO for X5ii and the more users who report what is working for them as you have done, the better it will be for all.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,163 of 7,088
Sorry if this has been asked before, but will there be a discount for first generation X5 owners like they did with the X3? I have mine for about a year now and I find it quite an investment to pay 400 euros again for an improved but not revolutionary new device. James, Joe?
Thanks a lot!

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,165 of 7,088
Reading the reviews, it sounds like its worth it only if you can afford it, and feel a need for the slight improvement.

In other words, just if you can afford it. :wink:

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,166 of 7,088
FiiO x5ii - choosing the right type of headphones \ earphones.

I am definitely going to buy a FiiO x5ii but I am getting overwhelmed with trying to choose headphones or earphones to use with it.

The only earphones that I own are £20 Sennheiser's which are OK but I am looking to buy either headphones or earphones in the £100 to £200 price range.

I have been reading lots of reviews of lots of different makes & models and on several different websites (including What Hi-Fi for their Awards recommendations).

There seems to be quite a range of Ohms for different headphones \ earphones and I have read that some need more powerful amps to drive them.

I only want to just use the FiiO x5ii with just the headphones \ earphones.

So, my main question is ... what specifications (Ohms etc) do I need to look at (and any I need to stay away from).

My music collection mainly consists of electronic or instrumental music (ie hardly any vocals); examples being JMJ, Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd et al.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,167 of 7,088
I honestly think your headphones ought to be more expensive than your DAP. Put your money where it will have the most sound improvement. That will always be headphones, first and foremost.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,168 of 7,088

I am definitely going to buy a FiiO x5ii but I am getting overwhelmed with trying to choose headphones or earphones to use with it.

The only earphones that I own are £20 Sennheiser's which are OK but I am looking to buy either headphones or earphones in the £100 to £200 price range.

I have been reading lots of reviews of lots of different makes & models and on several different websites (including What Hi-Fi for their Awards recommendations).

There seems to be quite a range of Ohms for different headphones \ earphones and I have read that some need more powerful amps to drive them.

So, my main question is ... what specifications (Ohms etc) do I need to look at (and any I need to stay away from).

My music collection mainly consists of electronic or instrumental music (ie hardly any vocals); examples being JMJ, Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd et al.

Nothing like that even matters. The final SQ will not depend on these facts.

I had used headphones with a wide array of specs, without it impacting the SQ. 

As a rule of thmb, the more expensive it is, the better it sounds. But better can mean in a different way. 

IF you want an open good headphone that usually is loved, hd598 from sennheiser is loved. Or sennheiser momentum. Or beyerdynamic custom. Or ultrasone dj one pro. Or grados. The choice should be made after you listen, they all sound very different, and we all hear very different. Testing before buying is much more important than you think. I only liked 2-3 headphones from all available headphones in showrooms. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2,169 of 7,088

Fiio recommends up to 150 ohms - but depending on the sensitivity, you could go higher (Fiio are conservative). I've found it drives my HD600 pretty well by itself.

Rather than taking this thread off track - how about starting a new thread in this forum - http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations

Make sure you advise (in the new thread)
  1. You'd be using an X5ii - no amp
  2. Your genre preferences
  3. Any past experiences with headphones - what you liked, what you didn't like
  4. Your preferred signature - bassy, neutral, bright, ... ?
  5. IEMs or full sized?
  6. If full sized - over ear or on ear, open or closed, portable or for home use?

Then come back here and post a link to the thread.  I'm sure you'll get some of us coming over to advise :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,170 of 7,088

I did get my OTG to work with a cable I got from monoprice that was made for an Android Phone. Hooked a 128GB Slider to it .

Hi DeLaw,

Congrats. I briefly had mine working, then it went back to the "External USB Storage Removed" endless, dismiss and repeat display. This is with the OTG cable that came with my X5 Gen1 and a Lexar 256GB slider (both work perfectly with my X5 Gen1). I'll try another OTG cable later, but I'm not very hopeful (at the moment).

More to come (I'm sure).

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,171 of 7,088
I honestly think your headphones ought to be more expensive than your DAP. Put your money where it will have the most sound improvement. That will always be headphones, first and foremost.

I disagree with this comment.

Say you were considering spending $600.00 on a pair of cans. You could buy 2 pairs of quality headphones at this price level. I would grab a pair of closed and a good Hybrid IEM. If it were me I know I could buy 3 different pairs of quality headphones for around $600.00 and have every music genre pretty well covered.

For example;

Yamaha 220 or Pro 500
Fidue A73 or DUNU DN-1000
ATHM50X or similiar

Less than $600.00. Not totl by any means but more than capable and negates the law of diminishing returns.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,172 of 7,088
I disagree with this comment.

Say you were considering spending $600.00 on a pair of cans. You could buy 2 pairs of quality headphones at this price level. I would grab a pair of closed and a good Hybrid IEM. If it were me I know I could buy 3 different pairs of quality headphones for around $600.00 and have every music genre pretty well covered.

For example;

Yamaha 220 or Pro 500
Fidue A73 or DUNU DN-1000
ATHM50X or similiar

Less than $600.00. Not totl by any means but more than capable and negates the law of diminishing returns.

You are arguing a completely different point than the one I made.

It's true you can buy three good monitors for the price of one very expensive monitor. However, it's been my experience, limited though it is, that if you're not putting down at least $300, an X5 won't be used to its full potential.

If you're only going to spend $150 on phones, then the X3ii is your best choice. You won't miss the layering or soundstage, 'cause your cans can't recreate it properly anyways. :p

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #2,173 of 7,088
I know I'm being redundant, but a lot of this is in general. Just curious if you could explain in more detail how the treble differs. The reviews of the orig X5 treble have been less than desirable. I'm picky. I guess for a portable device, not so much, but for a all in one that drives bigger headphones, and small, im just curious how the treble measures up.

I've got to leave something for my review

I'll have more when I post it............. :wink_face:

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #2,174 of 7,088

It's true you can buy three good monitors for the price of one very expensive monitor. However, it's been my experience, limited though it is, that if you're not putting down at least $300, an X5 won't be used to its full potential.

If you're only going to spend $150 on phones, then the X3ii is your best choice. You won't miss the layering or soundstage, 'cause your cans can't recreate it properly anyways.
tongue.gif

I'm not arguing. Just expressing my opinion.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,175 of 7,088

If you're only going to spend $150 on phones, then the X3ii is your best choice. You won't miss the layering or soundstage, 'cause your cans can't recreate it properly anyways. :p

This is pretty ridiculous. I can definitely tell the difference between the x3ii and the x5ii with my 125 dollar GR07s and me new 180 dollar DN1000s. Soooo not sure how you can assume I can't appreciate the difference with "cheaper than the players" headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back