FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,638 of 7,088
Just picked mine up from the Post Office this morning.

Unfortunately it didn't recognise the SD Cards from my X5 (ver 1) so I've had to format them in the player and am now loading music.

Love the look and feel of the player compared to the original X5 :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,639 of 7,088
  I've been loving the Fiio evolution of players. Had the original X3 and thought the button layout was atrocious so had to scrap that one...got the X1 after that and the X3II after that and each one gets progressively better.  Definitely am interested in hearing the X5II now...so I guess I'll buy one.  LOL.  Miccastore it is.

Welcome to elite X-Men club of FiiO.....
wink_face.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,640 of 7,088
Alright FiiO fans, the tour has been fun, but it is over for me now with the X5ii shipping out today to the next participant. The link to my review is below, comparing the iPhone 6, X5, DX90, X5ii, and AK100ii as well as various HP pairings. There is even a [COLOR=B22222]naked beauty contest[/COLOR] between the contestants for your viewing pleasure so be warned when you open the review in public. :wink_face:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13401

Nice review, Barra! I honestly haven't read other X5ii reviews. Partly because I didn't want to bias myself before writing my own review and then because I knew it was a great DAP and didn't want others' glowing reviews to fuel my gadget lust :wink_face:

Sounds like we have a lot of the same thoughts on the X5, X5ii, and DX90 Barra. While I find the X5's warmer, more intimate sound sig synergizes well with a lot of my music (mostly electronic and metal), I could see others preferring the X5ii's more neutral sound signature.

I do have DX90 in my possession and when listening to the last firmware, I preferred the X5 and X5ii. The latest DX90 firmware made it a bit less v-shaped and I'm listening to it more. However, the DX90's touchscreen UI and poor battery life leave a lot to be desired IMHO. Either X5 really pull ahead in these areas!

As far as blindly controlling the X5ii, it's basically the same as the other scroll wheel Fiio DAPs - just change the Lock Screen option. I think I pointed out in my review that I found the Lock Screen 3 option (all buttons enabled) fairly useless with the original X5 because the large X-buttons would get accidentally pressed often in my pockets. The X5ii solves this with recessed buttons - big thumbs-up!

Cheers :beerchug:

Thanks for the tip on the lock screens. I couldn't seem to find the options in the settings, but it is good to know its there. Look forward to seeing your review as well.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #1,641 of 7,088
Thanks for the tip on the lock screens. I couldn't seem to find the options in the settings, but it is good to know its there. Look forward to seeing your review as well.

No problem. My review is up and a link to it was just tweeted by Fiio as a sort of Father's Day ad, since I mentioned in my review that I'm a father :wink_face:

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #1,642 of 7,088
I've updated the first post to be more relevant now that the X5 II is released.
Also added links to all the reviews that have been done so far. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #1,643 of 7,088
So I'm "new" on Head-Fi. I've lurked a little the last couple years, but a few weeks ago when my Fiio X3 and JH Audio JH16s were stolen, I turned to you, the membership here, to help me choose how to replace them. After reading thousands of posts, for days and days, I decided to replace my JH16s with Angies, although I'm hesitant with the recent JHA QC issues I've read about. The JH16s I had were solid. I expect the Angies in a few weeks.

I then read about a lot of DAPs here. I want to thank everyone here for your thoughtful contributions. I have my X5-ii on its way from Micca, and should see it Monday. The two 128GB micro SD cards should be here tomorrow.

Thank you for being a class act and offering genuine impressions in everything. You are all appreciated.

I'll post my impression of the X5-ii after my Angies arrive, although I may use it as my source I'm my car at first via the line out.

Here is a question though: what kind of case would you recommend? Something that would protect it, have a belt clip, and have an easy car mount option.

Thanks again!

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,645 of 7,088
So I'm "new" on Head-Fi. I've lurked a little the last couple years, but a few weeks ago when my Fiio X3 and JH Audio JH16s were stolen, I turned to you, the membership here, to help me choose how to replace them. After reading thousands of posts, for days and days, I decided to replace my JH16s with Angies, although I'm hesitant with the recent JHA QC issues I've read about. The JH16s I had were solid. I expect the Angies in a few weeks.

I then read about a lot of DAPs here. I want to thank everyone here for your thoughtful contributions. I have my X5-ii on its way from Micca, and should see it Monday. The two 128GB micro SD cards should be here tomorrow.

Thank you for being a class act and offering genuine impressions in everything. You are all appreciated.

I'll post my impression of the X5-ii after my Angies arrive, although I may use it as my source I'm my car at first via the line out.

Here is a question though: what kind of case would you recommend? Something that would protect it, have a belt clip, and have an easy car mount option.

Thanks again!

Check out the Dignis cases (LINK). They don't have X5ii cases shown yet, but I imagine they'll appear soon. I have the X3ii case, and it's just gorgeous. Once available, you can order direct from them (follow the "Oversea Orders" link on the page), or probably from EBay or Amazon (the X3ii cases appeared on both sites).

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,646 of 7,088
Check out the Dignis cases (LINK). They don't have X5ii cases shown yet, but I imagine they'll appear soon. I have the X3ii case, and it's just gorgeous. Once available, you can order direct from them (follow the "Oversea Orders" link on the page), or probably from EBay or Amazon (the X3ii cases appeared on both sites).

+100

I have two Dignis cases. One for my DX90 and one for my X5 Classic. Love 'em both!

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,647 of 7,088
+100

I have two Dognis cases. One for my DX90 and one for my X5 Classic. Love 'em both!

Are those the ones made with dog leather?

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,648 of 7,088
Hi all. Newbie but long time lurker here. Just received mine. Ordered from amazonuk last week. Very impressive delivery speed! Just loading up a 128gb SanDisk card. But briefly tried a smaller card with a couple of my favourite Zappa albums.  Seems plenty of power to drive my senns hd25. Though will mainly use etymotic hf5s and ue superfi 5 pros. Will probably want a leather/dignis type case?  Not so keen on the silicon/rubbery ones!!  The trackwheel will take a little more getting used to. Overshot a few times already. (I am coming to the X5ii from mostly Sony kit - x1060, A15 etc.)
Regards all

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,649 of 7,088
Hi all. Newbie but long time lurker here. Just received mine. Ordered from amazonuk last week. Very impressive delivery speed! Just loading up a 128gb SanDisk card. But briefly tried a smaller card with a couple of my favourite Zappa albums.  Seems plenty of power to drive my senns hd25. Though will mainly use etymotic hf5s and ue superfi 5 pros. Will probably want a leather/dignis type case?  Not so keen on the silicon/rubbery ones!!  The trackwheel will take a little more getting used to. Overshot a few times already. (I am coming to the X5ii from mostly Sony kit - x1060, A15 etc.)
Regards all

Doesn't the X5ii come with a case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back