FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #1,171 of 7,088
  Battery pics

Thanks Paul!

Fiio seems to use the same battery connector for both X3ii and X5ii. The small duct tape covering the connector is just to prevent short circuit by the metal protector on top of it.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,172 of 7,088
  It all makes sense. X5 does the decoding, then it sends the PCM signal, which it decoded. It is kind of better compatible this way, as it provides the best compatibility with other DACs and is the best transport this way. *trying not to mention that for me DSD is totally pointless, as it sounded exactly the same as it's high resolution PCM flac counterpart*

Anyone has any thoughts on why x5II uses plastic instead of metal for the rings around the jack? Is it better this way for jacks? Does it reject dust? to cut costs?

I have a folder with DSD64 and FLAC 24/96, some songs from 2L high res download so both formats provided by 2L. I put the DSD and FLAC side by side, same file name (different extension) for easy switching between DSD and FLAC in the player. So far I would say, very2 little differences, that to me the difference is insignificant. For storage economy, to me, I won't bother to store my DSD collections in my portable player. I'm more interested in DSD capability (especially as DAC) only for the sake of convenience, so if we got any DSD files, we don't have to convert it before we can play it.  Anyway, the DSD files are converted to multi bits to make use of the digital volume. That could be the reason there is no significance differences between the 2 when played using DAP with digital volume control.

Regarding the plastic jack, probably to avoid contact with the metal chassis? Not sure about that.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,173 of 7,088
The X5 does. It works fine with Hugo. You have to embed the DSD in a Flac wrapper so the X5 doesn't convert the DSD to PCM 88.2
AS the X5ii supports DSD, the above should not be an issue and the native DSD should pass through to the Hugo.
The Hugo is happy with DSD embedded in Flac and native DSD from my Popcorn Hour.

Thank You! I appreciate all the replies.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #1,175 of 7,088
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,176 of 7,088
I'd better hurry, so I can at least be one of the first three
wink_face.gif

DO IT!

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,180 of 7,088
  My review for the X5 Gen II is up.  I doubt that there will be any surprises in the review given my previous comments on this forum made as testing was progressing.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13328

So sad to hear about limited EQ capability. I was actually looking forward to having that..

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,185 of 7,088
European tour X5ii just arrived in Britain
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back