FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,111 of 7,088
  Imagine the complaints about scrolling then for those with a library of 50-60,000 lossless files ...... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ha! How many layers of embedded folders will that require for "quick" navigation!

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,112 of 7,088
  I found that it made my music worse than better. 

Maybe I had tried it the wrong way...

About implementing it, the metadata for each file would require more processing to be done instantly, and this would add to the cost a lot, this is why it is still not implemented. Replaygain is not exactly ideal at the moment either,...

It may not be ideal, but as I think was the origin of this discussion, it most certainly keeps the required volume adjustments to a minimum. The times that I appreciate it are when I am not critically listening. I am active and my attention is really elsewhere. I am not concerned about "ideal" . As replay gain is done ... at least the way I use it, with tags, it is quite simple to turn it off if it ever offends one and suffer no loss of fidelity. It is curious, my Rockboxed Sansa Clip enables Replaygain.  I think I paid $25 for it.
In light of this fact, I can't agree with your assessment about increased cost nor processing requirements being a factor either. I have to think that any of the X series Fiio players have significantly more processor than the years old Clip.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,114 of 7,088
Reading Replaygain tags costs no more in overhead than reading the song title, and the processing overhead is not much different than applying digital volume control. Really it's not an issue processor-wise. It works with all PCM data, meaning any file format except native DSD.

As far as sounding "worse", it's likely to sound quieter as the reference level is a bit low, but most implementations let you adjust that. Otherwise it's no different than applying a straight multiplication, just like digital volume control.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,115 of 7,088
For my ear only, it seemed to compress the dynamic range a little? I do not know, when I was playing with replaygain tracks, it made most songs sound different to my ears, like dynamically compressed, like not so vivid. It might had been my imagination, but I stopped using it since then to avoid this. 

About needing processing power, it would work flawlessly, if you tag the files with replaygain tags from your computer. If you would not have tags set, it would be very complicated for the DAP to come up with the quantities of how much replaygain you need from song to song, basically, because the player does not know what the next song will be. 

I have to adjust the volume about 1 or 2 times per listening, I only have 5 quiet tracks which needs more volume. In rest, volume is pretty much acceptable, and I do not change it that often.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,116 of 7,088
  For my ear only, it seemed to compress the dynamic range a little? I do not know, when I was playing with replaygain tracks, it made most songs sound different to my ears, like dynamically compressed, like not so vivid. It might had been my imagination, but I stopped using it since then to avoid this. 

George - this is just likely a difference in volume when you compared.  Not so vivid sounds exactly like it was at a lower volume 
wink.gif

About needing processing power, it would work flawlessly, if you tag the files with replaygain tags from your computer. If you would not have tags set, it would be very complicated for the DAP to come up with the quantities of how much replaygain you need from song to song, basically, because the player does not know what the next song will be. 

Um - that's exactly what does happen. You apply replay gain usually when you rip the CD, although it can be done later. And it is solely in the tags.  The player then simply reads the tag and applies the appropriate volume on the fly.  It's not hard for the processor to keep up.

Quote:
I have to adjust the volume about 1 or 2 times per listening, I only have 5 quiet tracks which needs more volume. In rest, volume is pretty much acceptable, and I do not change it that often.

For someone with a lot of genres - replay gain can be invaluable.  Especially if you are shuffling - and your genre selection ranges from classical, opera and jazz right through to hard rock and electronic 
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,117 of 7,088

George - this is just likely a difference in volume when you compared.  Not so vivid sounds exactly like it was at a lower volume 
wink.gif

Um - that's exactly what does happen. You apply replay gain usually when you rip the CD, although it can be done later. And it is solely in the tags.  The player then simply reads the tag and applies the appropriate volume on the fly.  It's not hard for the processor to keep up.

For someone with a lot of genres - replay gain can be invaluable.  Especially if you are shuffling - and your genre selection ranges from classical, opera and jazz right through to hard rock and electronic 
wink.gif

Thanks for the info!

Then, it seems like replaygain would be a nice option to have turned on or off by Fiio. 

My confusion came because I thought that implementing it could had meant to need to process the quantity on spot. 

I will try it again to see if I can make use of it while listening on computer.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,118 of 7,088
Just wondering, with 4 TB worth of music in your DAP won't you end up scrolling more than listening? Unless you have dozens of set playlists...

Somehow I find the mental image of that pretty amusing.

Edit: just managed to audition the preproduction sample of the X5II and all i can say is.. Wow i'm really looking forward to the tour now. Why does it sound so CLEAN?? The X5II sounds ecen better by itself than paired with my amp. Good size too and it's surprisingly light.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,119 of 7,088
Has there been a firmware release for the 2nd gen X5 yet? Even initial would do (1.0)

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,120 of 7,088

wink.gif

wink.gif

Thanks for explaining Brooko - bang on. For listening to whole albums it's not necessary, but for shuffle or playlists it prevents those sudden volume changes. And the code is very simple :)

Has there been a firmware release for the 2nd gen X5 yet? Even initial would do (1.0)

I think x_Relic_x may chime in :)

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,123 of 7,088
x RELIC x do you know something that we don't? :p

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,124 of 7,088
Will the X5 ii output dsd dop from the coaxial output? Really looking to use it with my Hugo. Currently using X5 1.

I'm doubtful it transcodes on-the-fly. At least not with initial firmware. If any of the current testers could pipe in it would be a nice feature. I'll know in a week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back