FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 30, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #916 of 7,088

I've run tests on both high and low gain - music playing at listening levels, and under load.  High gain was with the Havis, low gain was with my Curves.

High gain gave me just on 10 hours - remember screen was off for most of the time, so YMMV

Low gain was around 11.5 hours.

I'll try and repeat the tests to make sure I have it correct. 

Well its at least better than the dx90 with a stock battery but would have liked to see 12+ also is there a medium gain setting or just two as I use the dt770s 250 ohm while at work and medium worked well on the dx90. I may just wait until I fill the 40gb left on my 1st 128 and hear after market reviews since I like the 4400 mah battery for my dx90 going from 8 to 15 hours of playback. Hell by that time maybe the x7 will be released by then.

May 30, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #918 of 7,088
I dont mind the humpback its just that there is no cover available for the 4400mah battery so the silicone case must stay on. I have seen a select few who ordered there's from china but I guess it went out of production.

If I could take the cover off the x5/7 I would see if a metals tech guy I know could make a cover for me to fit a larger battery.

May 30, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #919 of 7,088
  Well its at least better than the dx90 with a stock battery but would have liked to see 12+ also is there a medium gain setting or just two as I use the dt770s 250 ohm while at work and medium worked well on the dx90. I may just wait until I fill the 40gb left on my 1st 128 and hear after market reviews since I like the 4400 mah battery for my dx90 going from 8 to 15 hours of playback. Hell by that time maybe the x7 will be released by then.

Low gain is still pretty powerful - ie 65/120 still drives the HD600 pretty well.  I don't quite get your comment on the needing 12+ hours (how long are you at work ??) - but that's just me.  11.5 hours vs 12+ ..... maybe I'm just not seeing the difference.

I personally haven't heard the DX90.  It will be interesting to see comments from people who've heard both.

May 30, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #920 of 7,088

Low gain is still pretty powerful - ie 65/120 still drives the HD600 pretty well.  I don't quite get your comment on the needing 12+ hours (how long are you at work ??) - but that's just me.  11.5 hours vs 12+ ..... maybe I'm just not seeing the difference.

I personally haven't heard the DX90.  It will be interesting to see comments from people who've heard both.

its just what im used to with my dx90 + the battery, but im the type of person who could care less about size as long as it has a good battery. I charge it normally every 2 days if im not on a flight.

May 30, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #921 of 7,088
Again - I guess its what you're used to.  I personally don't have an issue with it.  10-12 hours from headphone out (given the incredible SQ) - I don't have an issue.  If its a deal breaker for you - stick with your DX90 
smile.gif

May 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #922 of 7,088
The battery argument is almost like a religious war with Internal vs. Replaceable camps.

I'd rather not fuss with replacing batteries and prefer Fiio's approach. When traveling, I just carry an Anker battery that can charge whatever gadgets I've got with me.

May 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #924 of 7,088
About battery. I would really advice against depleting it completely. No matter what, please take this seriously, try to not use it's entire life every cycle. It degrades it faster. And 12 hours of continous play without being close to a charger is something that most people would not need. I do not listen for that long, or even if I do, I am using my actual x5 as a DAC.

May 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #925 of 7,088

In the original, non redacted post I think I referred to the X3 gen 2 in the beginning, then stopped. 

Yes, I was referring to the 2nd gen x3.  The first does not support OTG. 

The first gen does, of course, have hardware EQ....(stirring up another pot!)

Thanks for making that clear. I am trying to decide whether to buy an X3ii or wait for an X5ii. OTG is a real plus on these new models. Strange that the X5ii should have more difficulty with OTG.

May 30, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #926 of 7,088

Thanks for making that clear. I am trying to decide whether to buy an X3ii or wait for an X5ii. OTG is a real plus on these new models. Strange that the X5ii should have more difficulty with OTG.

I'm pretty sure the OTG will get straightened out in a firmware update.  I don't think FiiO has abandoned support for OTG.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #927 of 7,088
  About battery. I would really advice against depleting it completely. No matter what, please take this seriously, try to not use it's entire life every cycle. It degrades it faster. And 12 hours of continous play without being close to a charger is something that most people would not need. I do not listen for that long, or even if I do, I am using my actual x5 as a DAC.

I wish that manufacturers would try and suggest this on their packaging. A lot of people still think back to the days of the Nickel Cadmium battery where you had to make sure it was flat before recharging to get it to recharge properly again. It's only by looking at relevant sites that you find out the optimum way to charge a lithium battery which is regular smaller recharges.

May 30, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #928 of 7,088
Don't like old X5, it is too flat. Even like X1 more than X5. Heard that the new X5 add more "musical" signature than the 1st gen, hope it will make the music more "lively"

May 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #929 of 7,088
  Don't like old X5, it is too flat. Even like X1 more than X5. Heard that the new X5 add more "musical" signature than the 1st gen, hope it will make the music more "lively"

If by "flat" you mean neutral, this is how music should sound. You can use the EQ function to alter the SQ of the old X5, and the new X5.

May 30, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #930 of 7,088
People have their preferences and the EQ doesn't work at all sample rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back