FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #6,271 of 7,088
Well, thank you anyway, it turns out, the microsd was faulty. Back to the warehouse already. However, I just got my X5 2nd gen and can't make it play through coax hooked up to the Chord Mojo. The signal doesn't get through, b/c the mojo can't see any signal coming in. Same setup with my old X3 via coax works flawlessly though. Anyone encountered such an issue or my X5 will be faulty as well? :frowning2:

The X5ii shares coaxial with the line-out so it doesn't have the same pin configuration. From the old X3 and Mojo's TS jack the coaxial signal is on the Tip and the ground is on the Sleeve. For the newer gen2 FiiO DAPs (and onward) with a shared TRRS jack the coaxial ground is on Ring2 and the Signal is on the sleeve. You need to use the included adaptor to an RCA cable to another TS adaptor, or a custom cable with the correct configuration. It's a pain in the butt.

See below for what you need with the second gen (and onward) FiiO coaxial out to the Mojo:

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #6,274 of 7,088
Update: my X5 didn't come with any adaptor, at all. I've tried to use my X3's adaptor with an RCA to 3.5mm cable but still nothing. Massive pain indeed.

PM sent! :)

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #6,275 of 7,088
  Update: my X5 didn't come with any adaptor, at all. I've tried to use my X3's adaptor with an RCA to 3.5mm cable but still nothing. Massive pain indeed.

Dear Peti,

The coaxial digital adapter cable like the following picture comes with the X5II.

Because the X3 2nd gen, X5 2nd gen and X7 use the same port for line output and coaxial digital output, we have bundled a different coaxial digital adapter cable for these players and these players are not compatible with the adapters from the 1st gen X3 and X5.   
183929vc9gvv34z8fpd8gv.jpg

Didn't you find this one in the box? For collecting the X5II with the mojo, you may use this cable and the FiiO L21 for help.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #6,277 of 7,088
It is the first thing I thought after 5seconds of listening. Treble too bright with no weight. Not a completely flat and natural sound.

On FiiO X5ii? 
basshead.gif

I really love the treble. 

IF you're unhappy with it tho, you can always activate the other filter option which tunes things to a more natural sound 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #6,278 of 7,088
It is the first thing I thought after 5seconds of listening. Treble too bright with no weight. Not a completely flat and natural sound.

Yes, after further listening it was almost a tonality thing to me.  Its too bad as I love all other aspects of the x5ii's sound.  I have found nothing like it since.  I tried the x3ii and the tonality of the treble agreed with me but I found the overall sound signature brighter which did not.  I really like a wolfson dac when it comes to the way the highs are presented but not as crazy about the bass as I was on the x5ii.  I also tried the x3ii with the A5 and that was amazing!  I would have keep that if the presentation was not so clinical.  It was some of the best bass I have ever heard.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #6,279 of 7,088
Yes, after further listening it was almost a tonality thing to me.  Its too bad as I love all other aspects of the x5ii's sound.  I have found nothing like it since.  I tried the x3ii and the tonality of the treble agreed with me but I found the overall sound signature brighter which did not.  I really like a wolfson dac when it comes to the way the highs are presented but not as crazy about the bass as I was on the x5ii.  I also tried the x3ii with the A5 and that was amazing!  I would have keep that if the presentation was not so clinical.  It was some of the best bass I have ever heard.

TRY to go to play settings->lowpass filter mode and change it to Gradual. The situation will be better. Not perfect but better.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #6,280 of 7,088
Is there any comparison of Fiio X5 2nd and any Astell Kern's? (Ak. jr, AK 100II etc.)

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #6,282 of 7,088
  Buying a new Fiio X5 2nd for only 199 or buying the new ONE.... :)

That is a hard decision man. 

Is there any comparison of Fiio X5 2nd and any Astell Kern's? (Ak. jr, AK 100II etc.)

I personally liked FiiO better - but my experience with AK is extremely limited. But I do have a sensitive side for X5ii - I prefered it over any DAP I tested so far - including over 2000$ DAPs. It just worked so good for these ears... 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #6,283 of 7,088

That is a hard decision man. 

I personally liked FiiO better - but my experience with AK is extremely limited. But I do have a sensitive side for X5ii - I prefered it over any DAP I tested so far - including over 2000$ DAPs. It just worked so good for these ears... 

I already got a Fiio X3 2nd....I like it but it's too analytical sounding to me and there is a hiss in the background. Is the x5 warmer sounding and without hiss?

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #6,284 of 7,088
  I already got a Fiio X3 2nd....I like it but it's too analytical sounding to me and there is a hiss in the background. Is the x5 warmer sounding and without hiss?

X5ii - hard to say - I never heard anything that was analytical for me. 

But x3ii surely wasn't analytical in any way for me - it might be a bad synnergy between headphones and DAP in your case - what headphones / IEMs are you using? 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #6,285 of 7,088
Had AK120 and loved it...and X3 is sure not as warm as AK...heard AKM with the new Fiio X5 3rd sounds warm/neutral again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back