FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #5,956 of 7,088
Good post! I only listen in random mode with my X5ii (X3ii and iPod Classic before that) and completely agree with you that the randomness isn't as random as it should be. The X3ii was guilty of this too. Whenever I update the media library the random play should be re-set too (shouldn't it?) but I seem to hear a large number of songs being re-played again that I heard before I updated the media library.

Quirky "random" play, that's for sure. I wish they would fix this before they abandon the latest X5ii firmware.

It's better than it was before, I think it's totally random now. when using the feature, I just jump from folder to folder, and if the pattern becomes repetitive, I just go to all music and start playing from another point, it seems to flush out the order or older ghost playlist. The solution seems simple enough for me to not complain  
etysmile.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #5,957 of 7,088

It's better than it was before, I think it's totally random now. when using the feature, I just jump from folder to folder, and if the pattern becomes repetitive, I just go to all music and start playing from another point, it seems to flush out the order or older ghost playlist. The solution seems simple enough for me to not complain  
etysmile.gif

I think the increased capacity might have something to do with what I hear. When I had a smaller library on my 160GB Archos 605 I heard a lot more of some artists than others. I had the player for around six years
eek.gif
 & there were some songs that maybe played once or even never, while others dozens of times. The X5ii has greater storage capability & the random choices over time seem more "compartmentalized": over the last year it has gone through phases of "liking" some artists over others for awhile & then "liking" another for awhile. It even chooses more often from a particular genre & I leave that tag blank. Still, I have the problem of "one album" artists being played while an artist with several albums never being played, just over a longer period of time. Another solution: maybe put two or more copies of the same album on the sd cards to increase its chances of being chosen in random play.

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,958 of 7,088
It's better than it was before, I think it's totally random now. when using the feature, I just jump from folder to folder, and if the pattern becomes repetitive, I just go to all music and start playing from another point, it seems to flush out the order or older ghost playlist. The solution seems simple enough for me to not complain  :etysmile:

My intent wasn't to complain but to agree with the previous poster. I have been aware of this situation for over a year now but didn't bother posting about it. My solution was to simply skip a repeated song. Also going back a couple of times and then skipping forward seems to "confuse" it. I have also done what you recommended. It's a unique quirk that seems to be a FiiO thing.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #5,959 of 7,088
My intent wasn't to complain but to agree with the previous poster. I have been aware of this situation for over a year now but didn't bother posting about it. My solution was to simply skip a repeated song. Also going back a couple of times and then skipping forward seems to "confuse" it. I have also done what you recommended. It's a unique quirk that seems to be a FiiO thing.

Don't worry! 

I'm just trying to help! 

I remember that after a FW update, it became much better, but I've been using both X5 and x5ii, and I can't remember if this was solved from X5 or from x5ii, and I can't remember which fw update helped. But before that update, it was a bit less random, and I did get the same playlist and wasn't able to use this trick. 

The shuffle algorithm probably takes a song from all played, then creates a mathematical order for positions of songs after it, so starting from another position (song number) will make it re-calculate the song from which to start, and all consequent items will have vastly different values.  

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,960 of 7,088
what gain and low-pass filter do you prefer on x5ii and what differences do you hear?
to me high gain sounds with my 42ohm on ear headphones more dynamic and alive and bass seems to be more focused and harder hitting, which is not necessary good thing, because my headphones are already quite bass dominant. high gain sounds more fun to me. as low pass filter goes... im not sure, but it seems, that "gradual" makes it sound a bit less open/airy than "steep" but it might be in my head.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #5,961 of 7,088
  what gain and low-pass filter do you prefer on x5ii and what differences do you hear?
to me high gain sounds with my 42ohm on ear headphones more dynamic and alive and bass seems to be more focused and harder hitting, which is not necessary good thing, because my headphones are already quite bass dominant. high gain sounds more fun to me. as low pass filter goes... im not sure, but it seems, that "gradual" makes it sound a bit less open/airy than "steep" but it might be in my head.

I use low gain and steep with the filter.  High gain is overkill for me and my EX1.  Your 42 ohm headphones aren't that hard to drive either so high gain seems like a little much for them.  Some times flipping the gain switch gives us that wow factor like this sounds so much better and dynamic when in reality it's just louder.  I would bet if you volume matched high and low gain you wouldn't hear a difference.  However, if you like it on high gain, have at it.  Just food for thought.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #5,962 of 7,088
Hi guys, I've owned a fiio X5II for a year now, and I'm happy with the sound quality but now I want to make a step forward. I've seen the Onkyo X1 as an interesting choice for a <1000€ budget. Does anyone here have any clue about its sound quality and general usability? I listen to rock, classical, jazz, blues, acoustic music and I want a lush, clean, natural, oiled sound. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5,963 of 7,088
Hi guys, I've owned a fiio X5II for a year now, and I'm happy with the sound quality but now I want to make a step forward. I've seen the Onkyo X1 as an interesting choice for a <1000€ budget. Does anyone here have any clue about its sound quality and general usability? I listen to rock, classical, jazz, blues, acoustic music and I want a lush, clean, natural, oiled sound. Thanks!

my friend has similar taste and he recs qp1r for that

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #5,964 of 7,088
Hi all,
Just purchased a new X5 second gen. latest firmware installed.
The unit pays for about 30 seconds then the screen goes blank and the controls no longer work. Music still plays and will continue to play thru the album. Tried numerous reboots  but no luck. Have a mixture of  Hi-rez Flac, DSF files and wav Files loaded.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Russ

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #5,965 of 7,088
  Hi all,
The unit pays for about 30 seconds then the screen goes blank and the controls no longer work. Music still plays and will continue to play thru the album. Tried numerous reboots  but no luck. Have a mixture of  Hi-rez Flac, DSF files and wav Files loaded.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Russ

It's supposed to do this.  Tap the power button and the screen will come back on.  You can adjust the screen time out to your liking in the settings.  You can also chose what the buttons do when the screen is off which is also in your settings.   

ETA: You're looking for key-lock settings and screen timeout in the settings menu.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #5,966 of 7,088

Yes just about to edit my post. thought the back button would bring everything back to life. Thanks.
Does sound really nice in the Merces benz Logic 7 system.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #5,967 of 7,088
Hi,

I been trying out RMAA on my PC using onboard sound card. Hence, the reading is Not Accurate. However, this should give you a view of Steep vs Gradual filter.

Looking at the chart, I will set it to Steep. :)

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #5,969 of 7,088
  Hi all,
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Russ

Hi, Russ
We received your mail from support@fiio.net as well.
You said the screen goes blank so we mistook it to be white screen problem. before. 
Your X5II just lock itself. You can send the screen timeout from 'system settings'--'screen timeout' to select the screen timeout you like.
There are 3 types of key-lock. You can change the key lock from 'system settings'--'key lock settings'.
The screen will wake up when you press the power button.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 26, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #5,970 of 7,088
Hi,

I been trying out RMAA on my PC using onboard sound card. Hence, the reading is Not Accurate. However, this should give you a view of Steep vs Gradual filter.

Looking at the chart, I will set it to Steep. :)

Read up on impulse response, pre- and post-ringing differences between steep and gradual filters (aka fast, slow filters, also see minimum phase filter). While gradual filter "underperform" steep filter in terms of frequency response (as seen in the graphs), many audiophile reviewers feel that the impulse response (affecting the quality of realism in the reproduced sound) of a gradual filter (or minimum phase filter) is more ideal than that from a steep filter.

There is a trade-off so Fiio nicely provided both filters to suit individual preferences.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back