FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,717 of 7,088
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked previously - does anyone know where I can get a short coax cable to go between my X5ii and Chord Hugo? 

It's (very) early days yet but this little DAP could be close to the sound I've been looking for whilst traveling (Hugo is the king for home use as far as I'm concerned. I've had it more than a year now and I'm not even tempted to look around for an upgrade).

I've recently owned the AK120, AK120ii, iBasso DX90 & Cowon P1 and, for a variety of reasons, haven't been satisfied enough with any of them. I've been put off FiiO's DAPs because the UI and looks seem dated. I'm ashamed to say the relatively low price(s) put me off too. On a whim, and out of desperation, I took a punt on the X5ii. So far so good.

If the UI is not your cup of tea then I suggest custom themes. There is a link to the custom themes thread at the bottom of the first post (unfortunately not as active as the original X5). If you really want a UI to your tastes you can always take a stab at doing a custom theme yourself. Don't worry, if you mess up you can always flash the official FW back on the unit.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,718 of 7,088
As I posted earlier I received my new FiiO x5ii today.

Some posts mention updating the firmware.

Has anyone updated the firmware since receiving their new FiiO x5ii?

What improvements \ benefits are there from any updates?

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,719 of 7,088
As I posted earlier I received my new FiiO x5ii today.

Some posts mention updating the firmware.

Has anyone updated the firmware since receiving their new FiiO x5ii?

What improvements \ benefits are there from any updates?

The other guy was trying to update the X5 gen 1 FW to the X5ii.

No other firmware is released yet besides what the unit ships with - firmware version 1.0.

The only other FW is the custom themes I've been pimping which changes the look of the interface (mine includes five themes in one package) , but no functionality changes are possible with custom themes.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,720 of 7,088

I'm just wondering what this higher voltage means. If there's more voltage as compared to X5 1st gen, then it means more current => more current * more voltage = more power. However, X5ii actually outputs less power than the 1st gen. There can't be higher voltage if the power is the same or lower, right? So what does it really mean?

For specs, see the chart here http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-x5-second-generation-part-1/2/

Your logic falls apart if you accept that the X5II can have higher voltage available, but with lower current available and therefor can have less "total power" available.
When I mentioned the inefficiency and said it costs current... the converter uses current to allow the step up. It, in and of itself, uses power. This is separate ...completely, from the current available at the output stage.

So you get Higher Voltage * lower current = less total power (when the lower current in the equation is sufficiently lower than what you are comparing) . It would seem to be the case of the X5II vs the original X5.
Also, in theory, the higher output voltage should allow the amp to better drive higher impedance headphones, where current demand is lower and is within the X5IIs output parameters.

It is all a matter of selecting the tradeoffs in any given situation. There is no free lunch...

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #2,722 of 7,088
  There will be lots of themes for X5II too, it is a waiting game, or until I buy one too! 

Still still on the edge eh?  
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,723 of 7,088
I know it was already mentioned many times in this thread, the early review samples of X5ii had pre-production quality scrolling wheel and a few other differences.  As a result a number of reviewers, such as myself, mentioned about a sub-par quality of that wheel mechanism.  Though it was confirmed by others who already purchased the production quality unit about scrolling wheel being similar to X3ii, I still wanted to double check it myself.  Got my hands on one of those final units, and I can confirm with 100% certainty - the final scrolling wheel is night'n'day in comparison to review unit, and it feels nearly the same as X3ii with a nice click-friction response.  Other changes I noticed are with front 4 buttons being no longer as recessed and easier to feel when you slide the finger over, side volume buttons have a more tactile response, and headphones jack feels a bit tighter.  Oh, and a body color is a few shades lighter.  Now, X5ii is a perfection!

Production unit (on the left), Review unit (on the right):

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,724 of 7,088
  I know it was already mentioned many times in this thread, the early review samples of X5ii had pre-production quality scrolling wheel and a few other differences.  As a result a number of reviewers, such as myself, mentioned about a sub-par quality of that wheel mechanism.  Though it was confirmed by others who already purchased the production quality unit about scrolling wheel being similar to X3ii, I still wanted to double check it myself.  Got my hands on one of those final units, and I can confirm with 100% certainty - the final scrolling wheel is night'n'day in comparison to review unit, and it feels nearly the same as X3ii with a nice click-friction response.  Other changes I noticed are with front 4 buttons being no longer as recessed and easier to feel when you slide the finger over, side volume buttons have a more tactile response, and headphones jack feels a bit tighter.  Oh, and a body color is a few shades lighter.  Now, X5ii is a perfection!

My back button is flush with the case and the center button wobbles around a bit. Does that mean its a pre-production model?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,725 of 7,088

My back button is flush with the case and the center button wobbles around a bit. Does that mean its a pre-production model?

What about the color?

If you bought your X5ii, it's most likely a production unit.  If you got it as part of a tour or sent directly for review - than it's pre-production.  I'm just mentioning the difference I found between my very early review pre-production unit and the final retail unit.  I assume scrolling wheel will be the main indicator.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,726 of 7,088
My production unit center button wobbles a bit and the four face buttons around the wheel seem to be slightly at different heights. Lieven commented in his review on Headfonia that his back button was slowly getting lower over time so perhaps there's room for them to 'settle in'. I agree with twister6 that the wheel is night and day better from the pre-production unit.

Overall I have no real issues using the hardware interface. Everything that's been noted is pretty much nitpicking to me.

One thing that's got my goat is the battery doesn't seem to last near ten hours. I'm going to time it playing 16/44.1 redbook ALAC to see what numbers I get on my production unit. I may just be getting lost in the music so take what I just said with a giant grain of salt until I can time the battery life.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2,727 of 7,088

What about the color?

If you bought your X5ii, it's most likely a production unit.  If you got it as part of a tour or sent directly for review - than it's pre-production.  I'm just mentioning the difference I found between my very early review pre-production unit and the final retail unit.  I assume scrolling wheel will be the main indicator.

Its a new unit from a dealer, but I have nothing to compare the color against unfortunately. I'll see if I can show some pics.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,728 of 7,088
My production unit center button wobbles a bit and the four face buttons around the wheel seem to be slightly at different heights. Lieven commented in his review on Headfonia that his back button was slowly getting lower over time so perhaps there's room for them to 'settle in'. I agree with @twister6 that the wheel is night and day better from the pre-production unit.

Overall I have no real issues using the hardware interface. Everything that's been noted is pretty much nitpicking to me.

One thing that's got my goat is the battery doesn't seem to last near ten hours. I'm going to time it playing 16/44.1 redbook ALAC to see what numbers I get on my production unit. I may just be getting lost in the music so take what I just said with a giant grain of salt until I can time the battery life.

This description matches mine. Unfortunately I still haven't been able to find any headphones that are compatible with its inline remote support.

The back button on the face of the unit actually sticks out just a little toward the bottom, but it is not level. The button in the bottom left-hand corner sticks out nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back