FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,951 of 7,088
Does anyone know if the X5 II comes with one of those plugs like the OG X5 to push into the output that aren't being used? I thought that may prevent accidently plugging my IEM's into the LO. If not, I can steal one from my X5. 

I don't remember, but you can get those plugs super cheap on eBay!

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,952 of 7,088
Then that's what I shall do...thanks. OR order extra ones from eBay.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,953 of 7,088
Hi,

[snip].............................

Is there any advantage of using high gain? Other than a shorter battery life, would high gain provide a better sound quality than low gain, on 60 Ohm headphones?

Thanks a lot,

Shannon

This is the million dollar question. FiiO's marketing clearly highlights the HIgh Gain as the optimal working voltage for the amp. Output power isn't the full story with high gain.

ALO describes it pretty well on their site.

Dynamic 15 Volt Amp Design

Huge dynamics are the result of our new 15 volt amplifier design. 15 volts being the difference between the positive and the negative supply rails in the amp. Many other audio amplifiers rely directly on the battery voltage, some as low as 3.3 volts. While higher voltage does not automatically result in better sound, the loudest undistorted passages are the direct result of the voltage used. The difference between the loudest undistorted passage and the quietest passage is our target dynamic range. The new Rx’s 15 volts give it plenty of headroom for the loudest passages to be reproduced wide open and without distortion. We always want to make this as large as possible when designing an amplifier. The highly filtered power supply keeps quietest, most subtle passages crystal clear and free of distortion or encumbrances.

The new Rx's quiet power supply uses the newest low ESR Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors to give it extremely clean peak power performance. The frequency response extends flat from below 10 Hz to above 50Khz.

Seeing as the X5 II runs at 14 V supply on high gain I imagine there would be a cleaner sound. I've been doing comparisons with the X5 II between high and low gain and what I've found is basically inconclusive. I THINK I hear a cleaner presentation of the notes, and slightly more punch, but I can't be sure. I haven't had a chance to pick up the SPL meter yet so all my tests are basically useless right now. I've found by ear that volume set to 46 on low gain is approximately the same as 34 on high gain. Again, by ear and not trustworthy.

On a different note, the X5 II easily drives my LCD-2.2 non fazor to (60 Ohm - 92db sensitivity) at a volume of around 60 on high gain to sound loud enough. Anyone suggesting the X5 II doesn't have enough power for moderately easy to drive headphones needs to see an audiologist.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,955 of 7,088
I remember Barra mentioning a preference for High Gain even with lower impedance IEM...

Yes. That's where my curiosity lies. Because I've picked up the Rx amp I'm absolutely floored that the higher voltage but low output power sounds better than the X5/X5 II with my sensitive IEM. More control, cleaner presentation, faster. Because FiiO also markets the higher voltage as optimal I'm very curious as to the real world results. I hear a difference but I'm not going to say anything is conclusive right now until I can properly match and test.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,956 of 7,088
Yes. That's where my curiosity lies. Because I've picked up the Rx amp I'm absolutely floored that the higher voltage but low output power sounds better than the X5/X5 II with my sensitive IEM. More control, cleaner presentation, faster. Because FiiO also markets the higher voltage as optimal I'm very curious as to the real world results. I hear a difference but I'm not going to say anything is conclusive right now until I can properly match and test.

I am looking forward to results, as it keeps my interest up to hear about this!

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,957 of 7,088
This is the million dollar question. FiiO's marketing clearly highlights the HIgh Gain as the optimal working voltage for the amp. Output power isn't the full story with high gain.

Hi Craig - can you point me to where Fiio says that high gain is optimal working voltage?

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,958 of 7,088

I remember @Barra mentioning a preference for High Gain even with lower impedance IEM...

Your "ALO Audio on Voltage" passage pretty much describes what I heard with the high gain. I felt that the HG brought out the dynamics and made the X5ii much more musical, lively, and detailed. For me, this wasn't a volume matching exercise as it was clearly better at all volume levels including low volume on HG compared to higher volume on LG. Thought it might be a the 6BAs in my NT6pro needing power so I tried it with the new CustomArt Ei.3 3BA CIEM and felt the same. After that, I pretty much just left it on HG.

I was definitely happy with the results on the LCD2.2. Although the LCD sounds better with my $100 C&C BH2 amp, it sounded good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to go without for the convenience when needed.

The old X5 had the same preference - sounding better in high gain, but it was more of a sweet spot in the volume range that HG allowed me to hit. The old X5 tended to get shouty at higher volumes and the HG allowed me to get the dynamics at lower volumes that I preferred to listen. But the new X5ii sounds clean throughout the volume range so it is not a sweet spot issue.

Another tidbit was that I found that like the DX90, the new X5ii sounds better at higher volumes to bring out its full dynamics and staging. The old X5 sounded great at a lower to more moderate volume, but got shouty at the higher volumes forcing me to turn it back down.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,959 of 7,088
Hi Craig - can you point me to where Fiio says that high gain is optimal working voltage?

From their website:

"At high gain the voltage reaches 14V..........putting the opamps in their best working voltage, greatly increasing dynamics."

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,960 of 7,088
Interesting claim.  "Dynamics" is such a loose word .....

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,961 of 7,088
Interesting claim.  "Dynamics" is such a loose word .....

I agree, covers a broad range of characteristics. What I'm thinking is simply providing a cleaner signal with less distortion that results in a punchier sound with more clarity. Better separation from quietest to loudest passage adding a sense of depth. Not night and day, but I hear it. And again, I'm not coming to any conclusions as I haven't done any proper testing, but like Barra I can hear the difference at all volume levels.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,962 of 7,088
Jun 25, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,964 of 7,088
  Got my replacement...wheel and center button are perfect.  Whew.  

I have to admit that the only thing that disappoints me hardware-wise is the wheel. Mine feels very loose, like it's going to be the first thing that breaks. As far as usability goes, it's pretty close to a one to one mapping between detents and interface changes, but it's far from exact.  All this has me wondering whether my unit has the new wheel or the old one. Does the old one (I'm under the impression that the review units have the same wheel as the original x5, not sure whether that's correct) have detents, or does it just spin freely?
art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back