FiiO X3MKIII || Dual TI PCM5242 || Dual-mode Bluetooth 4.1 || Dual headphone outputs || Balanced Out || 192kHz/32bit
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #496 of 613
If they could only fix the overall speed (eliminate the lag) and add replay gain, this thing would be just about perfect .....

I am very pleased with the firmware update. The skipping and glitches are gone and I find the device generally much snappier to operate! Nice work!

I knew they would eventually manage to sort things out!

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #497 of 613
hi, which is the better setting for sound quality? low gain or high gain on the x3 mark3? I tried playing with both but apart from the volume, i can't tell the difference in sq. Any input would help. Thanks. I'm using the x3 directly connected to my headphones, no amp!

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #498 of 613
hi, which is the better setting for sound quality? low gain or high gain on the x3 mark3? I tried playing with both but apart from the volume, i can't tell the difference in sq. Any input would help. Thanks. I'm using the x3 directly connected to my headphones, no amp!
High gain raises the noise floor so if you are using sensitive IEMs, you may hear a hiss or other noise. There should be no sound difference between high and low gain when volume matched so use low gain unless you need the extra volume that high gain offers for harder to drive IEMs and headphones.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #500 of 613

High gain raises the noise floor so if you are using sensitive IEMs, you may hear a hiss or other noise. There should be no sound difference between high and low gain when volume matched so use low gain unless you need the extra volume that high gain offers for harder to drive IEMs and headphones.

Even so, I always use high gain, on every single device. I like electricity! :darthsmile:

I see there is a new firmware out:

http://m.fiio.net/en/stories/599

Does it fix all issues? I am deciding between the X3 mk III and the new Sony NW-A45

It sorts out most issues nicely!

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #501 of 613
Thanks. But I actually do hear more dynamism with high gain on. Vocals are more forward and present.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #502 of 613
Thanks. But I actually do hear more dynamism with high gain on. Vocals are more forward and present.
Then you should have said that in your initial post. You said you didn't hear a difference in it and now you do. Everyone gets that wow factor when switching the gain switch because it's louder. Truth be told, if you volume matched high and low gain, you'd hear no difference. High gain uses more battery and isn't necessary unless you have hard to drive cans or IEMs. I'm not saying not to use it because you can if you like it. I'm just saying it's not really needed unless you need the extra volume. There's no difference in sound between the two. Only the noise floor goes up in high gain.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #503 of 613
Then you should have said that in your initial post. You said you didn't hear a difference in it and now you do. Everyone gets that wow factor when switching the gain switch because it's louder. Truth be told, if you volume matched high and low gain, you'd hear no difference. High gain uses more battery and isn't necessary unless you have hard to drive cans or IEMs. I'm not saying not to use it because you can if you like it. I'm just saying it's not really needed unless you need the extra volume. There's no difference in sound between the two. Only the noise floor goes up in high gain.
After playing with he settings a couple of times, i did hear the difference eventually. When you say hard to drive IEMs, you mean that i don’t have enough volume on my DAP to drive them right? So to sum it up, high gain only provides for higher volume levels? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #504 of 613
After playing with he settings a couple of times, i did hear the difference eventually. When you say hard to drive IEMs, you mean that i don’t have enough volume on my DAP to drive them right? So to sum it up, high gain only provides for higher volume levels? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.

just to add a bit to the high gain convo. from what i experienced.
the IEM that i have of 16 to 20 ohm impedance like fiio f9 and magasi k3 pros, dont need much power and for them i use low gain as with high gain it increases volume not to my liking but when i use the x3 mark 3 with audio technicas headphones with impedance 50 ohms i need to use high gain as it not only increases the volume but also increases the bass and make the headphones sounds perfect. similarly in my car i also use high gain as the bass with high gains i get in my car with line out is phenomenal without it not so much. hope that helps

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #505 of 613

As @fourrobert13 explained - despite the many who believe gain increases quality, all it does is what it says. Increases gain (or volume) on everything - including the noise floor. If you can get loud enough for your needs on low gain, you should always use low gain. The main issue with most people's anecdotal observances that high gain sounds "better" is that they don't volume match. Louder sounds better to us. In reality - all you need to do is increase the volume on low gain - you'll get the same result.

Gen comment.
And before someone pipes up that on their system, to their ears, high gain is better ...... it actually can't. It's the same signal with a uniform increase in dB (volume) - thats why its called gain. Use test tones, and an SPL meter to volume match exactly, and then get someone to help you with blind switching. You won't tell the difference in a blind test regardless of what you believe.

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #506 of 613
As @fourrobert13 explained - despite the many who believe gain increases quality, all it does is what it says. Increases gain (or volume) on everything - including the noise floor. If you can get loud enough for your needs on low gain, you should always use low gain. The main issue with most people's anecdotal observances that high gain sounds "better" is that they don't volume match. Louder sounds better to us. In reality - all you need to do is increase the volume on low gain - you'll get the same result.

Gen comment.
And before someone pipes up that on their system, to their ears, high gain is better ...... it actually can't. It's the same signal with a uniform increase in dB (volume) - thats why its called gain. Use test tones, and an SPL meter to volume match exactly, and then get someone to help you with blind switching. You won't tell the difference in a blind test regardless of what you believe.

Kinda makes me curious to try low gain and pump the volume since I like low noise floor and high volumes, but on most things, I actually need the high gain when I increase the volume beyond what one should :)

I know that for iDSD BL, I am actually more comfortable with the lowest gain setting with IEMs though, so I think you're right there.

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #507 of 613

Gen comment.
Thanks. Nice explanation and i think i’ll stick to low gain for now as with low gain on my X3 mark3, i don’t go above 80 when using my v-moda m100.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #508 of 613
I am very pleased with the firmware update. The skipping and glitches are gone and I find the device generally much snappier to operate! Nice work!
... okay, so replying to my own post I must correct my earlier comment somewhat. The small glitch when skipping to the next song can still appear, but it is much less frequent(and I think it only occurs when I have gapless mode switched ON). The other thing which marginally annoys me about the X3Mk3(but that is probably due to keeping costs low), is that if I transfer files directly onto the device using the shipped USB cable, transfer rates are 3.2M/Sec or about there. With certain hires flac collections weighing in at over 1Gb, this is a bit annoying... On the positive side (but this is purely subjective), I even feel as if the FW upgrade has improved the clarity of the sound somewhat with my X3->coax spdif->IBasso D14 setup. With the earlier firmware I was always getting the impression as if the X3 was "breaking a sweat" in transferring the data to the D14 in time to get decoded there... now everything is much smoother and snappier!

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #510 of 613
I’ll have something up within a few days hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back