FiiO X3MKIII || Dual TI PCM5242 || Dual-mode Bluetooth 4.1 || Dual headphone outputs || Balanced Out || 192kHz/32bit
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #421 of 613
Hi guys. Do you encounter this?

My unit freezes when I wake it up from deep sleep when the battery has only 2 bars. But when the battery has more than that, it normally wakes up when i press the wake button.

Also mine suddenly shuts down sometimes.

Dear friend ,please kindly try to do the factory reset .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #422 of 613
Yeah I don't know how/why Fiio doesn't get it by now. User experience in terms of software is incredibly important. Did they forget that we use smartphones every day of our lives, and so we've become accustomed to a certain level of UI responsiveness and intuitive interaction?

This carries over into other parts of life too. How about a website that has really good info, but it's incredibly difficult to use and find what you're looking for? Crappy design leads to a person becoming frustrated and soon abandoning it. This (along with brilliant marketing strategies) are why companies like Apple have a huge user base. Of course, their prices are higher, but who of us wouldn't mind paying a little more if Fiio's devices operated correctly? I just feel that if Fiio cared, truly and honestly cared, about their products and customers, they'd sort these things out ASAP. I bring up the example of the M3 again (just because it's such a blatant display of not giving a damn). It's been well over a year and we still have not received that rich set of themes they advertised. Let's be perfectly honest - how long would it realistically take them to create a single theme? I remember back in the X5 days that we (the users) would take a few days to a week to create a theme. All these other bugs and lags...do they not test the products themselves?

How many devices still don't have proper gapless and/or replay gain? It's just so disrespectful to customers for Fiio to be spending manpower on new products when they still haven't fixed their old / existing products. It's like loaning money to someone in desperate need, and then seeing them spending lavishly when they're back on their feet before paying you back (if they ever pay you back).

Mismanaged resources and a lack of courtesy, that's all it is.

Well, entry level products is the basis of your DNA to promote your brand and make your image strong and rock solid because this is the segment you need to convince and fidelize to sell and also expand your business with mid and high-end products. You can't rest on your laurels and aftermarket is also a key to capitalize on user experience and satisfaction with software updates. They will trust you when you will come back with a new model because you built a nice relationship based on trust and confidence in what you announced...

As a cult replica says, you can deceive a thousand people once, but you can not trick a person a thousand times...

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #423 of 613
Dear friend ,please kindly try to do the factory reset .

Dear manufacturer, how many times a day must I do a factory reset to get your product working ? Could we have an update for factory reset shortcut on the new multifunction button ? What will do a factory reset more than what your product did from unboxing ? Does this mean that utilisation is degraded upon usage and I must reset settings each time I need it to work as it should normally ?

More seriously, could you be more transparent on communication on what you really planned for the X3 Mark III for updates and future list of features you want to implement inside with the current hardware ? Could you ensure people that want to buy this device that they can trust you on a fix for all bugs this device is concerned with ?

Regards.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #424 of 613
Ok Folks,

It's time to share with you my little expérience with the X3 Mark III and if you don't like to read a bit, here is my conclusion : don't buy this thing yet because it is not a finished product but a prototype ! Don't be a beta tester and choose another brand...

1st, overall build quality for a 199$ price point device is really good and you will feel having a nice High-End player in the hands.

But this is ending there for the nice part of this informal review. This device is so buggy that it is a pain in the ass to simply use it. You will have almost all the time between 1s to 3s delay with commands response. How can they push to release and market a device like this ? I don't know, but a 15 bucks mp3 player can work surely faster ! I cannot stand that for a 200$ tag, I cannot have a fluid and flawless device ! For me, this is simply unbearable. This is why i was talking about a prototype. And don't tell me that a better SoC is so expensive that it will ruin FiiO to put it inside. No way for me to endure this for years on a product... And if devs cannot optimize this product, I won't have to wait for a hypothetic update, my solution will be to simply return this product and wait for the Shanling M3s !

Now, let's talk about sound... Well, my ears are not well trained like some guys on this forum, but I am a hobbyist musician playing on a Tyros with nice sounds and with M-Audio mid-end monitors... So, I have some basic knowledge of what it may sounds like or near to...
I think that it is a nice player but for me, too round and smooth and I had to make little EQ settings to get a better response with it and more separation for the scene, but I can agree that this is relative to everyone's taste. I noticed a little breath sound in the background with some titles that I couldn't noticed on my computer at 192Khz/24bit.

And now, the part that annoys ! You don't have your full music playing ! Amazing that when a track is skipped or on some transition from one track to another, you're loosing near 0.5s to 1s of your starting track !!! And I am not talking about the blast and sound defects with glitches when you come from a DSD file to a FLAC format or simply when you play from another folder ! You get a big blast in your ears that "pop" so loud that I nearly fell from my chair the 1st time it happens ! Seriously ? We are talking about a Hi-Res device that must be irreproachable with the sound ! And we simply have none at all !!! At this time, no gapless, no filters, no APT-X, no DSD256, no DxD, no correctly working album cover, no good exploitation of hardware, no equalizer working at all sampling rates, and so on... This list is impressive when you look at the competition with other brands. How can they put a buggy firmware from last iteration onto this without correcting it ? Are we monkeys ?

Software part is so laggy (even more when playing a title) that the touch scrolling wheel is not easy to use. Music playback stops when you plug your usb cable. As is out of the box, this device is not usable ! Even my old iRiver iHP140 is more capable to play correctly a title (and gapless) that this "thing" from another world. Responsiveness is mandatory for a nowadays device ! And talking about file copy over USB, this is the same on my iRiver (13y old) near 2.2Mo/s, a shame...

CU3Fw3S.png

In conclusion, I will return this product asap to the shop I bought it from to buy the next Shanling M3s when it will be there... I cannot use it in this conditions... I now understand why there was no test outside FiiO communication for this product...

Excuse me, I'm french, nobody is perfect, so accept my apologies for my awful english ^^
@+

Dear Olimatou,

Could you kindly tell us the sample rate of your tracks that will let you loosing near 0.5s to 1s of your starting track? Our engineers are working on this now .

Regarding other questions that you have, we will collect it and report it to our engineers. and we will try our best to do it well.

So sorry for this inconvenience.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 5, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #425 of 613
Dear manufacturer, how many times a day must I do a factory reset to get your product working ? Could we have an update for factory reset shortcut on the new multifunction button ? What will do a factory reset more than what your product did from unboxing ? Does this mean that utilisation is degraded upon usage and I must reset settings each time I need it to work as it should normally ?

More seriously, could you be more transparent on communication on what you really planned for the X3 Mark III for updates and future list of features you want to implement inside with the current hardware ? Could you ensure people that want to buy this device that they can trust you on a fix for all bugs this device is concerned with ?

Regards.

sorry for the trouble but we do need more information so we can solve the problem and it is difficult to promise when we don't know the reason, and you can trusted us that we will not release a products which mute the first 2s music.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #426 of 613
sorry for the trouble but we do need more information so we can solve the problem and it is difficult to promise when we don't know the reason, and you can trusted us that we will not release a products which mute the first 2s music.
If you didn't intend to release a product that skips the first 1-2 seconds of a track, then why wasn't the x3 mark3 tested before release? Because the x3 mark3 skips 1-2 seconds of almost every track when listening. Everyone who has the player is facing these issues. Also the covert art and song info does not display for almost all dsd, ape and flac files. It used to display on my x3ii so why cant it work on the x3mark3? I'm using the exact same sd card from my x3ii in my x3 mark3. So why doesn't it work? Please explain!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #427 of 613
If you didn't intend to release a product that skips the first 1-2 seconds of a track, then why wasn't the x3 mark3 tested before release? Because the x3 mark3 skips 1-2 seconds of almost every track when listening. Everyone who has the player is facing these issues. Also the covert art and song info does not display for almost all dsd, ape and flac files. It used to display on my x3ii so why cant it work on the x3mark3? I'm using the exact same sd card from my x3ii in my x3 mark3. So why doesn't it work? Please explain!

sorry I have not follow this thread so I need time to make clear what happened first, but I have not heard it is a common issues taht it skips 102 seconds. also to supports bluetooth and some other feature we have to change the OS so the firmware is total different with X1/X3/X3II.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #428 of 613

Regards.
Dear Olimatou,

The factory reset is just for eliminating the software problems that might be caused during using.
Our plans for the firmware update will first focus fixing the reported bugs. But some of the problems could be a little complex or only happen in rare occasions, so we'll need to collect more information and forward it to our software team for analysis. No matter what, we'll try our best to improve it. And we sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience caused.
As for the USB transfer speed, We are afraid that it's limited by the SoC. Our testing shows that the USB transfer speed for writing is around 6M/s (it's notsuggested to ransferring a large quantity of files, as this might slow down the transfer speed)

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #429 of 613
Dear Olimatou,

Could you kindly tell us the sample rate of your tracks that will let you loosing near 0.5s to 1s of your starting track? Our engineers are working on this now .

Typically i am using 96Khz/24bit files currently to test the audio part of your device for flac files (also 44.1/16 on same title for testing purpose on resolution)

When playing DSD64 files (2822.4Khz) this is where decoding makes the device running very slowly and mostly buggy after listening to a file... I got hiss noises all the time a track change or when I skip files (clipping)... I got random bugs when playing files across folders or when moving from a format type to another in a playlist. Sometimes I got a random DSD file playing in place of a flac file I choose, like if it has it in memory and showing infos from the flac file but playing the DSD file instead... Gain on DSD files is not very impressive and kill a bit of the scene representation; I can notice a subtle background noise on High position and filtering should be implemented to correct this in an option, miniDSP core from PCM5242 should do the trick.

I am using my MDR-1A bought earlier on March this year and in good conditions for listening sessions... Tested on some other IEM also but not representative for Hi-Res like Mi latest HD pro, etc... Some of them not working when inserted and I got a message to re-introduce the plug in the female part. My Sennheiser hd 439 throw this message sometimes, but it is perfectly working anywhere else...

rrjjdU4.jpg

For gapless, I think you should have a glimpse at your buffering procedures and optimize some part of your code in asm. If you got enough room, you should prepare a small buffer from the beginning of the next file for immediate playing after previous stream, but you need minimum 2 threads for this, a good asynchronous gestion and use semaphores (I don't know if your hardware power and concurrent reading speeds can handle this). I am currently reading Ti PCM5242 datasheet file to understand correctly what this chip can do and find where is the culprit and why there is some glitches on audio If I can figure it out... If I won't have to return this product, I should have dissassemble it to get more informations, but I can only guess some direction where to investigate and search answers...

Maybe I was expecting too much from such a product, but it sounds really nice despite it has bugs and a SoC improperly sized for smooth usage (and maybe playing flawlessly files)... Next version maybe X3 Mark IV ^^

Regards.

CetFigo.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #430 of 613
As for the USB transfer speed, We are afraid that it's limited by the SoC. Our testing shows that the USB transfer speed for writing is around 6M/s (it's notsuggested to ransferring a large quantity of files, as this might slow down the transfer speed)

Mate, on 20 files I was on 2Mo/s, do you suggest I drag/drop each of them manually ? Let me see, for 240 Go of data, i need ? Well, more than 11 hours at 6Mo/s and if at 2Mo/s, 33 hours ?!!! No way ! Seriously, you accept 256Go microSD cards and you designed this device with so poor transfer rates ? This is criminal ! And what about your internal reading speeds from the slot and access times ? You have to manage DSD files that needs high transfer rates and high decoding power... How can you design such a device with a poor SoC and components... You should have put bigger inside to handle upgrades and new features to have a true beast on the market with a simple new firmware update and plenty of time and rooms to finalize it... Here, you have a device that is already obsolete out of the box ! And I don't talk about your devs that must do a lot with so little on this hardware, must be a nightmare !

Think BIG or you will stay little...

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #431 of 613
Unfortunately, I think this one is going to be a lemon, so will give it a miss. I do like my X5 3rd gen but will start looking at new Shanling M3s or a Cayin for my travel / holiday DAP. Maybe team the new M3s with Fiio F5 or F9?

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #432 of 613
Mate, on 20 files I was on 2Mo/s, do you suggest I drag/drop each of them manually ? Let me see, for 240 Go of data, i need ? Well more than 11 hours at 6Mo/s and if at 2Mo/s, 33 hours ?!!! No way ! Seriously, you accept 256Go microSD cards and you designed this device with so poor transfer rates ? This is criminal ! And what about your internal reading speeds from the slot ? You have to manage DSD files that needs high transfer rates and high decoding power... How can you design such a device with a poor SoC and components... You should have put bigger inside to handle upgrades and new features to have a true beast on the market with a simple new firmware update and plenty of time and rooms to finalize it... Here, you have a device that is already obsolete out of the box ! And I don't talk about your devs that must do a lot with so little on this hardware, must be a nightmare !

Think BIG or you will stay little...
Fiio knew this soc would do this. And implemented as mentioned earlier anyways to cut costs.

Its like they didnt care.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #433 of 613
Time to listen to Satisfaction from The Rolling Stones :p

EDIT : My bad, there is an updated driver on MKIII support webpage, I apology... Sorry FiiO, you rocks on this point...

And no updated USB DAC Driver currently. Don't know if adding device to the inf file manually will be ok and if the kernel mode driver will work with it (USB\VID_2972&PID_0030\5&15C311E1&2&9).[/U]

Well, it works... I modified INFs files to install driver without signature check on Windows 10... 2 lines to add in each INF files... They should have done this and sign the catalogue already ! Pffff... But this part of the player is working, so Hurrah !

ppqueQW.png

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #434 of 613
Typically i am using 96Khz/24bit files currently to test the audio part of your device for flac files (also 44.1/16 on same title for testing purpose on resolution)

When playing DSD64 files (2822.4Khz) this is where decoding makes the device running very slowly and mostly buggy after listening to a file... I got hiss noises all the time a track change or when I skip files (clipping)... I got random bugs when playing files across folders or when moving from a format type to another in a playlist. Sometimes I got a random DSD file playing in place of a flac file I choose, like if it has it in memory and showing infos from the flac file but playing the DSD file instead... Gain on DSD files is not very impressive and kill a bit of the scene representation; I can notice a subtle background noise on High position and filtering should be implemented to correct this in an option, miniDSP core from PCM5242 should do the trick.

I am using my MDR-1A bought earlier on March this year and in good conditions for listening sessions... Tested on some other IEM also but not representative for Hi-Res like Mi latest HD pro, etc... Some of them not working when inserted and I got a message to re-introduce the plug in the female part. My Sennheiser hd 439 throw this message sometimes, but it is perfectly working anywhere else...

rrjjdU4.jpg

For gapless, I think you should have a glimpse at your buffering procedures and optimize some part of your code in asm. If you got enough room, you should prepare a small buffer from the beginning of the next file for immediate playing after previous stream, but you need minimum 2 threads for this, a good asynchronous gestion and use semaphores (I don't know if your hardware power and concurrent reading speeds can handle this). I am currently reading Ti PCM5242 datasheet file to understand correctly what this chip can do and find where is the culprit and why there is some glitches on audio If I can figure it out... If I won't have to return this product, I should have dissassemble it to get more informations, but I can only guess some direction where to investigate and search answers...

Maybe I was expecting too much from such a product, but it sounds really nice despite it has bugs and a SoC improperly sized for smooth usage (and maybe playing flawlessly files)... Next version maybe X3 Mark IV ^^

Regards.

aDo6S6U.png

For the DSD64 files (2822.4Khz) this is where decoding makes the device running very slowly, could you kindly PM us some tracks, we do wanna to test it .
For the Gapless, it will be added in our next firmware in the middle of this month. we are try our best to release a new firmware of X3 MKIII within 2 weeks.

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #435 of 613
For the DSD64 files (2822.4Khz) this is where decoding makes the device running very slowly, could you kindly PM us some tracks, we do wanna to test it .
For the Gapless, it will be added in our next firmware in the middle of this month. we are try our best to release a new firmware of X3 MKIII within 2 weeks.

What about the X1II? When will new firmware be released for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back