fiio x3 vs fiio e17 vs fiio 07
Apr 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lofthanza

100+ Head-Fier
So which one sounds better paired with a laptop with both dac and amp engaged?
I dont know which one to get. My main concern is the sound quality. I will use the ath-m50s with it.
Please help!

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Fiio x3 will definitely work as a dac/amp with a laptop/pc. Before plugging the x3 in, change the USB function setting on it to "DAC" (instead of "USB"). You may need to update to the latest firmware I'm not 100% on that.

I have both the x3 and e07k and I feel the x3 is the better one of the 2 mainly due to the more powerful amp.

Personally however I prefer using the e07k docked into the e09k.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for your reply.
I think my ath-m50s are very easy to drive.
Do both the x3 and e07k have the same sound signature. I mean are they both dark sounding for example?
And in general, will they both be a good step-up from the internal dac in a macbook pro or an equivalent laptop?
I listen to music using VLC music player.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for your reply.
I think my ath-m50s are very easy to drive.
Do both the x3 and e07k have the same sound signature. I mean are they both dark sounding for example?
And in general, will they both be a good step-up from the internal dac in a macbook pro or an equivalent laptop?
I listen to music using VLC music player.

The 3 devices listed above both use the same Wolfson WM8740 DAC. However, to my knowlege the E17 has a more powerful AMP. Since they both use the same DAC they will sound the same using it as a DAC. I would say it is a huge upgrade to the standard laptop/mac you will be able to hear the difference right away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back