FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2,836 of 3,121
Okay, I'm thinking on giving up on Fiio. The SD card got corrupted and had to reformat and transfer 16GB of music which took over one and a half hours.
I very much doubt that transfer speeds will improve at all as I suspect it's a hardware limitation caused by Fiio using inferior components. I mean, really, my old 4GB Sony Walkman could fill up in less than a minute.
It is pretty clear that Fiio releases unfinished products and does not have the capacity to correct their issues.
Anyone knows how the Sony NWA A35 compares?

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,837 of 3,121
Okay, I'm thinking on giving up on Fiio. The SD card got corrupted and had to reformat and transfer 16GB of music which took over one and a half hours.
I very much doubt that transfer speeds will improve at all as I suspect it's a hardware limitation caused by Fiio using inferior components. I mean, really, my old 4GB Sony Walkman could fill up in less than a minute.
It is pretty clear that Fiio releases unfinished products and does not have the capacity to correct their issues.
Anyone knows how the Sony NWA A35 compares?
Yeah, the transfer speeds truly are pathetic. Software updates (not that FiiO are supporting this player anymore anyway) won't fix it, they used a USB 1.0 controller in the player. Pretty sad when my 11 year old iPod Classic can transfer music much, much faster than the X1-II. What's worse is the fact that they didn't upgrade from USB 1.0 for the X3-III that's just been released...

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,838 of 3,121
Yeah sorry about that I haven't checked this thread for quite awhile and don't have time to go back through a bunch of posts. But I have purchased several Fiio products from dealers in Toronto. They told me they would take care of any service needs so I would be counting on them to get me a new battery if needed. The nice thing about Sony was when my battery on my A17 needed replacing they gave me a new unit. I simply shipped them my old one and they shipped me a brand new one a few days later. I have never gotten a Fiio product serviced but not impressed with your experience and how Fiio has handled it. Yet another reason I will stick with Sony DAP's

I hope everything works out for you.
I completely get it.
I often scan posts myself missing certain information..

Cheers.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,839 of 3,121
@FiiO

I'm running 1.6.2.

1) When I turn the player on from OFF, the settings have changed: the language is Chinese, the Gapless mode is Fade In/Fade Out, and the Scroll Wheel Prompt Tone is On. Sometimes this happens when turning the player on from Deep Sleep as well, and the Welcome screen appears. I need to go back and change all the settings each time.

2) The gapless function only works on some songs. Others have an audible, though short, gap.

3) When turning on from standby, the player often makes a loud popping sound, loud enough to hurt my ears. THIS IS NOT SAFE.

4) The "Custom" equalizer settings disappear immediately after I set them.

Also, could you give us a realistic assessment of how many songs the player will be able to support once the firmware is improved? The Browse function is extremely laggy and completely useless to me. I have a ~200 GB library with ~30,000 songs and purchased the X1 2nd Gen specifically because it supported 256 GB micro SD cards.

I wish I had seen this answer on the FAQs before purchasing: "Technically there is no limit on track number, but the operation response may get slow if there are too many songs in the library." Of course, how were we to know what "too many songs" meant? That's not a clear answer.

I, like @Killcomic, am pretty close to giving up. If anyone has recommendations for an inexpensive DAP that can accommodate a large library, please let me know. And if anyone knows where I could get the best price for selling the X1 2nd Gen, mine is in good shape.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,840 of 3,121
I gave up when FiiO said they couldn't provide any time frame for new firmware to address the issues. They said there was nothing currently and that it will come when it comes. Sold mine this week on ebay and shipped it out yesterday morning. I really regret buying it now. I got my hopes up with the last firmware update 6 months ago that it was going to improve only to be disappointed. There's other options now within this price range that don't come with all of the headaches. At this point, I'm not very confident that FiiO can't fix this device, or optimize it due to hardware limitations.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,841 of 3,121
I gave up when FiiO said they couldn't provide any time frame for new firmware to address the issues. They said there was nothing currently and that it will come when it comes. Sold mine this week on ebay and shipped it out yesterday morning. I really regret buying it now. I got my hopes up with the last firmware update 6 months ago that it was going to improve only to be disappointed. There's other options now within this price range that don't come with all of the headaches. At this point, I'm not very confident that FiiO can't fix this device, or optimize it due to hardware limitations.
@fourrobert13 Yeah, I'm suspecting the same thing re: hardware limitations...

How much did you get for the X1 II, if you don't mind my asking? And I see you've got the Cayin N3--it's working well for you? What kind of library do you have on there in terms of size (GB and # of songs)?

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #2,842 of 3,121
@fourrobert13 Yeah, I'm suspecting the same thing re: hardware limitations...

How much did you get for the X1 II, if you don't mind my asking? And I see you've got the Cayin N3--it's working well for you? What kind of library do you have on there in terms of size (GB and # of songs)?
I bought the X1II new on ebay for $90 shipped and sold it $70 shipped. Took a hit, but I quit using it all together a couple months before I sold it. I actually have two N3s. One has 130 gigs on a 200 gig card (14,500 songs/mix of AAC & MP3) and the other one has 90 gigs on a 200 gig card, but I forget the song count and it's also a mix of AAC & MP3. No lag, no playback issues (clipping songs or delays), nor any crashes (my X1II never crashed on me, but did clip songs and delay when ff &rw or skipping tracks). The N3 has OTG storage capabilities and when I want to listen to my flac versions or larger files, I just plug in a flash drive, or card reader using an OTG cable so storage is not really an issue with the N3. There's also no lag or delay when using OTG storage, but it does shave about 3 hours off of the 14 hours of normal playback time when using OTG all day. I'm very happy with the N3 and it has exceeded my expectations as far as a $150 DAP goes. It just worked the way it's supposed to right out of the box, unlike the X1II.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,843 of 3,121
@FiiO

I'm running 1.6.2.

1) When I turn the player on from OFF, the settings have changed: the language is Chinese, the Gapless mode is Fade In/Fade Out, and the Scroll Wheel Prompt Tone is On. Sometimes this happens when turning the player on from Deep Sleep as well, and the Welcome screen appears. I need to go back and change all the settings each time.

2) The gapless function only works on some songs. Others have an audible, though short, gap.

3) When turning on from standby, the player often makes a loud popping sound, loud enough to hurt my ears. THIS IS NOT SAFE.

4) The "Custom" equalizer settings disappear immediately after I set them.

Also, could you give us a realistic assessment of how many songs the player will be able to support once the firmware is improved? The Browse function is extremely laggy and completely useless to me. I have a ~200 GB library with ~30,000 songs and purchased the X1 2nd Gen specifically because it supported 256 GB micro SD cards.

I wish I had seen this answer on the FAQs before purchasing: "Technically there is no limit on track number, but the operation response may get slow if there are too many songs in the library." Of course, how were we to know what "too many songs" meant? That's not a clear answer.

I, like @Killcomic, am pretty close to giving up. If anyone has recommendations for an inexpensive DAP that can accommodate a large library, please let me know. And if anyone knows where I could get the best price for selling the X1 2nd Gen, mine is in good shape.

Dear friend,

Thank you for you kind feedback and sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

1. Seems we haven't meet the issue like that. The X1II will restart in the main menu still, but the settings have been changed?

2. Would you mind providing some songs with that issue to us?

3. We will report to our engineer and have more test first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 4, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,844 of 3,121
Dear friend,

Thank you for you kind feedback and sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

1. Seems we haven't meet the issue like that. The X1II will restart in the main menu still, but the settings have been changed?

2. Would you mind providing some songs with that issue to us?

3. We will report to our engineer and have more test first.

Best regards

1. The issue only occurs when it restarts, after displaying the Welcome screen. Sometimes this restart with display of the Welcome screen occurs when starting up from Deep Sleep.

2) How do I share the files? Head-Fi is not allowing to me to upload MP3s.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,845 of 3,121
I bought the X1II new on ebay for $90 shipped and sold it $70 shipped. Took a hit, but I quit using it all together a couple months before I sold it. I actually have two N3s. One has 130 gigs on a 200 gig card (14,500 songs/mix of AAC & MP3) and the other one has 90 gigs on a 200 gig card, but I forget the song count and it's also a mix of AAC & MP3. No lag, no playback issues (clipping songs or delays), nor any crashes (my X1II never crashed on me, but did clip songs and delay when ff &rw or skipping tracks). The N3 has OTG storage capabilities and when I want to listen to my flac versions or larger files, I just plug in a flash drive, or card reader using an OTG cable so storage is not really an issue with the N3. There's also no lag or delay when using OTG storage, but it does shave about 3 hours off of the 14 hours of normal playback time when using OTG all day. I'm very happy with the N3 and it has exceeded my expectations as far as a $150 DAP goes. It just worked the way it's supposed to right out of the box, unlike the X1II.

Good to know, thanks. Do you use a Browse by Category function on the N3, or just navigate your own files and folders?

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2,848 of 3,121
Sounds like a dream, coming from the X1 II. Now I know what's on my holiday wish list...
Well, if I thought there was a chance they could optimize the X1II and fix all of the bugs, I would have kept it. However, no support in the past six months, nor can they even say a firmware is on the horizon so it was time to move on. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about FiiO products in general. Looks like the X3III is experiencing the same issues as the X1II per my reading in that thread which begs the question: If it didn't work with this device, why try the same thing again? It's really destroying the reputations of the original DAPs that everyone liked. Good luck finding yourself something that works for you.

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,850 of 3,121
Figured out what was causing my X1ii to hang when going idle. It was the SD card that was corrupted by Fiio's top of the line USB interface and lightning fast SD card reader.
After formatting the card and waiting one and a half hours to transfer 16GB of music, idle timeout started working again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back