FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Jan 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,936 of 3,121

Can you upload the FW files to a dropbox? I might be able to do something with the image files to speed it up (?) 

I can't unpack it directly with the tools that FiiO provided before, the tools only worked for X1, X5, X5ii, X3, etc/ 

I sent you a PM. 
The process I used is this: change the .fw to .zip -> unzip -> use yaffshiv on "fifo_rootfs.yaffs2" via OS X Terminal.
You may use Yaffey as it has a UI.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,937 of 3,121
  I sent you a PM. 
The process I used is this: change the .fw to .zip -> unzip -> use yaffshiv on "fifo_rootfs.yaffs2" via OS X Terminal.
You may use Yaffey as it has a UI.

Gotcha 

Yep, all png's are extremely compressed. 

I'm really busy at the moment, but I might be give x1ii users a fix of sorts in a while. 

I don't know if it will work or not - I can't  unpack or repack it - and of course - use it at your own risk - I don't own an X1ii. 

It won't be close as pretty s the original x1ii but I should be able to fix some things. I may make a basic UI for x1ii that should hopefully be quite fast.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #1,938 of 3,121

You consistently characterize FiiO as a feckless company putting out inferior wares that will face reckoning day in consumer perdition.  Neither statement is true.  They’re globally successful and one of the more consumer friendly companies, evidenced by their tireless responses to even the most picayune complaints within this thread.   I think there should be appreciation shown for that.

I let an actor friend, a very sophisticated fellow on a top TV show, listen to the FiiO X1 II and he was pleased with the sound and surprised by the low price.  While I agree all the promised functions should be fully operational upon purchase, updates to improve functionality are the norm.  I’m accustomed to them on a variety of products, although auto recalls often annoy me. 

I never said the products don't sound good they just don't function as advertised.  As for Fiio's financial success globally what are you basing this statement on?   If the X7 is selling so well why has the price dropped below $380.00 on the X7 on amazon.com?  That is only slightly higher than the price for the X5-II, sounds kinda fishy to me!

You can't tell me that their buggy DAP's have not cost them sales and lost customers because I personally know several people who have returned the X7 and X1-II because of bugginess and features not working as advertised.  All of whom have now purchased DAP's from Sony and more recently the Shanling M1.  I have tried the M1 that a close friend just imported and it works great with nary a performance issue.

X1-II lag problems,  M1 no lag on any functions
X1-II buggy bluetooth, No Apt-X,  M1 has Apt-X no bluetooth connectivity issues.

So it is possible to release a Chinese DAP without a litany of problems when proper development is done prior to release.  Fiio should take a look at the M1 to see how an inexpensive DAP should work.  The world doesn't revolve around this forum, try conversing with people outside of this forum sometime and you may see a different picture.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #1,939 of 3,121
  I never said the products don't sound good they just don't function as advertised.  As for Fiio's financial success globally what are you basing this statement on?   If the X7 is selling so well why has the price dropped below $380.00 on the X7 on amazon.com?  That is only slightly higher than the price for the X5-II, sounds kinda fishy to me!

You can't tell me that their buggy DAP's have not cost them sales and lost customers because I personally know several people who have returned the X7 and X1-II because of bugginess and features not working as advertised.  All of whom have now purchased DAP's from Sony and more recently the Shanling M1.  I have tried the M1 that a close friend just imported and it works great with nary a performance issue.

X1-II buggy bluetooth, No Apt-X,  M1 has Apt-X no bluetooth connectivity issues.

So it is possible to release a Chinese DAP without a litany of problems when proper development is done prior to release.  Fiio should take a look at the M1 to see how an inexpensive DAP should work.  The world doesn't revolve around this forum, try conversing with people outside of this forum sometime and you may see a different picture.

Well - we can maybe iron out the lag problems. Not sure about the bluetooth - I am still learning how bluetooth modules codes work. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #1,940 of 3,121
  Has anyone else noticed the sub-par transfer speeds? When copying files the X1ii averages about 2.5 MB/sec. Using the same TF card on the Mrobo C5 it's hovering around 7 MB/sec....

I use to think my A17 was slow at 11 to 12 MB/Sec, that speed is glacial by comparison.  Does it have USB 2.0 or just 1.1?

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1,941 of 3,121

Well - we can maybe iron out the lag problems. Not sure about the bluetooth - I am still learning how bluetooth modules codes work. 

I may complain about this DAP but I do appreciate your diligence in trying to make it a better product.  I do hope your efforts pay off at some point

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,942 of 3,121
X1ii is better than X1 was - SQ wise and it added bluetooth but not fully functional. X1ii also added touch wheel - which is an amazing contraction. 

What I do understand so far is that X1ii is better than X1, is not more expensive, sounds better, but the new added features brought on two bugs. IDK, so far sounds like we are getting more from the device...

I may complain about this DAP but I do appreciate your diligence in trying to make it a better product.  I do hope your efforts pay off at some point

I just want everyone to be happy...

I may understand why you're disappointed but you can't really compare 300$ device - A17 with a device around 100$ like X1ii. Not saying that it isn't fair or anything, but it's direct competitor is X5ii or X5-3, out of which I'm sure X5ii sounds better for me as my headphones need that power to be driven well........................................ 

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #1,943 of 3,121

I’m basing my statement on FiiO’s availability of products worldwide and increased popularity.  More and more retailers are stocking them on shelves like Fry’s so the company has made great inroads.  Their DAPs even have television commercials in Russia.

https://youtu.be/WCbxN5zRDhc

Amazon prices fluctuate all the time, high and low.  I’ve personally interacted with Amazon since 2005 when they first offered a TV show I created and I’m well versed on their techniques.  (The one caveat is you might be looking at prices pegged by one of Amazon’s independent sellers.)

You know several people that have returned products.  There are always disgruntled reviews on Amazon, but when there’s more in the favorable column and the sales rankings stay robust, that's success.  FiiO did well during the X-mas season.

People are buying Sony products, as you’ve noted, but that company remains mired in fiscal decline.  Obviously their DAP business doesn’t lift their losses from other quotients.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-second-quarter-profit-falls-nearly-86-1477981467

I travel the world and talk to a myriad of people from all walks of life.  Believe it or not, in the grand scheme of things… an affordable music player that sounds good doesn’t take precedent over climate change, starving children and a litany of other genuine worries.  It's a low priced DAP, that's it.  The firmware updates will improve things.  FiiO has been using a new OS and that invariably brings about a shakedown cruise.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,945 of 3,121

I just want everyone to be happy...

I may understand why you're disappointed but you can't really compare 300$ device - A17 with a device around 100$ like X1ii. Not saying that it isn't fair or anything, but it's direct competitor is X5ii or X5-3, out of which I'm sure X5ii sounds better for me as my headphones need that power to be driven well........................................ 

My post about transfer speed was a general comment about transfer speeds.  It was not Sony vs Fiio comment but a comment based on my experiences.  Some in the A series Sony forums have complained about what they consider slow transfer speeds of around 11 MB/sec.  The X1-II transfer speed being so slow caught me off guard and I am curious if it has a USB 1.1 port vs USB 2.0.  

As for which sounds better I have heard both and find very little audible difference between them.  For me  it is the intangibles like battery life, and LDAC bluetooth that sets the A17 apart from the X5-II.  In terms of price the X5-II cost $150.00+ more CAN new than my A17 so in fairness the X3-II is a fairer comparison there.  But whatever, I am speaking of the X1-II in its current state of turmoil. I would never claim my A17 sounds better as I have not heard an X1-II and probably never will.  

My main reason right now for following this thread is to see how Fiio addresses the problems. Also to see if and when Fiio might drop hints about the next X3.  I am speculating that the X3 will be based on the same OS as I can't see Fiio having only one DAP running it.  If they can fix these problems on the X1-II then it should bode well for the X3.  If they can't then one has to wonder what condition the X3-III will be in when released.  

Believe it or not I want Fiio to succeed and I have owned and do own several of their products.  I am simply trying to push for them to get better releasing their DAPs because I think if they ever do put it all together they would have some really good DAP's to offer.  It doesn't help Fiio when people say hey Fiio its okey that the X1-II has its problems, we'll just sit and wait patiently until you figure it out.  Nothing will change if that is the feedback they keep getting from this forum.  If this was an automobile or even a cell phone there would probably have been a factory recall by now. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,946 of 3,121

I have unpacked the firmware. It's based on Yaffs2, but Macs don't have a lot of tools made (I tried to use a compiled version of Yaffey but ended doing it via terminal) , so re-packing the firmware was a problem for me. The graphics are all PNGs, and options and translations are simple text files. nothing out of this world. Maybe in a windows machine the packing process is easier.

Congrats, mate! Now the community can finally start to fiddle wit the firmware to patch it :D
I'll also try to install yaffs2 support on my laptop, but I think this is going to be a pain on Linux. ^^'

Btw, I don't think I'm the first one to notice that, but the file architecture REALLY matters on the lags of te X1-II. Before I had all my music sorted as such : Artist -> Albums -> Tracks, and when I reordered my mibrary with the following pattern : Genre -> Sub-Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Track, the scrolling, the loading, everything went a bit faster. But especially the scrolling. Guess for now, this DAP is still limited in how much folderpaths it can load at the same time.

I didn't see if it had an impact on speed when browsing in Tag Mode, the creation of the MediaLib file was taking forever in the last FW, and I heard it actually went worst in FW1.5.3 ^^'

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #1,947 of 3,121
What? I found mplayer in /usr/pv-project

EDIT : we have full access to the firmware now, thanks to @gonzoznog. I propose a Fiio X1-II (2nd Gen) - Developpement Thread so we can talk further about what could be done with the sources.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #1,948 of 3,121

Gotcha 

Yep, all png's are extremely compressed. 

I'm really busy at the moment, but I might be give x1ii users a fix of sorts in a while. 

I don't know if it will work or not - I can't  unpack or repack it - and of course - use it at your own risk - I don't own an X1ii. 

It won't be close as pretty s the original x1ii but I should be able to fix some things. I may make a basic UI for x1ii that should hopefully be quite fast.

Do you think that compressed PNGs will affect the speed? Doesn't DAP just decompress them and load into the RAM once at the boot?

Congrats, mate! Now the community can finally start to fiddle wit the firmware to patch it :D
I'll also try to install yaffs2 support on my laptop, but I think this is going to be a pain on Linux. ^^'

Btw, I don't think I'm the first one to notice that, but the file architecture REALLY matters on the lags of te X1-II. Before I had all my music sorted as such : Artist -> Albums -> Tracks, and when I reordered my mibrary with the following pattern : Genre -> Sub-Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Track, the scrolling, the loading, everything went a bit faster. But especially the scrolling. Guess for now, this DAP is still limited in how much folderpaths it can load at the same time.

I didn't see if it had an impact on speed when browsing in Tag Mode, the creation of the MediaLib file was taking forever in the last FW, and I heard it actually went worst in FW1.5.3 ^^'

I think it should be easier to do stuff with YAFFS2 File System on Linux than on Windows or MacOS.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #1,949 of 3,121

EDIT : we have full access to the firmware now, thanks to @gonzoznog. I propose a Fiio X1-II (2nd Gen) - Developpement Thread so we can talk further about what could be done with the sources.

I wonder if this is good news in terms of getting Rockbox going on this device 

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,950 of 3,121

This might be amazing news to the X1ii users in the long run!!!

Quote:
  Do you think that compressed PNGs will affect the speed? Doesn't DAP just decompress them and load into the RAM once at the boot?

I think it should be easier to do stuff with YAFFS2 File System on Linux than on Windows or MacOS.

Judging by the size of the uncompressed PNG files, it decompresses them on spot, causing the lag. 

Android by itself will load everything in the RAM - but this doesn't take into account for the fact that if RAM is limited - it loads only the essential parts. 

It might also keep some things loaded without them being needed - and this is an Android limitation - not something that devs can really change. 

I wonder if this is good news in terms of getting Rockbox going on this device 

I think that Rockbox needs the original developers to mess with it - and from what I gathered about it - it was only possible on very few very basic microprocessors, it's not really possible to use on everything else. 

It might be possible that if we all place our minds together - we might be able to fork an RockBox for X1ii though - but first things first - let's get that first MOD going and make this thing smooth as butter! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back