FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Jan 14, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #1,906 of 3,121
  Lesson to learn from X1-II

Having followed this thread from the start I have come to an inextricable conclusion.  Never purchase a first generation product from Fiio.  

Or Samsung or Microsoft.  I own all the FiiO DAPS, with the exception of the original X3, and they’ve all performed well.  X7 and X1 II evolved into new territories for the company so there’s been more of a learning curve.  I own players like the Lotoo Paw Gold and Questyle QP1R and for those prices it’s perfunctory to expect faultlessness right out of the box.  As far as the X1 II, consumers are getting a lot of value for this little economy player and I don’t hold it to the same crucible.  I actually enjoy Firmware updates as it enlivens a device, makes it feel anew.  I don’t mind being a guinea pig for such a small investment in this case.  Nevertheless, some people, lack patience.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #1,907 of 3,121
Or Samsung or Microsoft.  I own all the FiiO DAPS, with the exception of the original X3, and they’ve all performed well.  X7 and X1 II evolved into new territories for the company so there’s been more of a learning curve.  I own players like the Lotoo Paw Gold and Questyle QP1R and for those prices it’s perfunctory to expect faultlessness right out of the box.  As far as the X1 II, consumers are getting a lot of value for this little economy player and I don’t hold it to the same crucible.  I actually enjoy Firmware updates as it enlivens a device, makes it feel anew.  I don’t mind being a guinea pig for such a small investment in this case.  Nevertheless, some people lack patience.

I believe the problem is entitlement

Similar to the level of piracy and people complaining about something they pirated. It's a matter of culture and what people are used to but it's a problem nevertheless .

Testing a firmware probably shouldn't be done by people, but sometimes the features require testing before introducing and while I do understand the complaints , at the price point x1ii is, there is literally nothing I heard or nothing I have access to that would heat it as far as a dap goes . At least so far (?)

Until there will be one, we should all be glad that it exists. Sure, it has a few inconveniences now, but fiio will surely fix those soon. They added a hand of features to the good old x5ii , features that provide to seriously enhance the listening experience . I trust they'll do us justice!

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,908 of 3,121
Sort of agree but I like firmware updates that enhance the device not make it work as originally intended.

My X1ii is awaiting me at home and looking forward to trying it when I get back to UK.

Bought as a stop-gap. If good will get X5iii, if bad will get XDP300.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #1,909 of 3,121
  Lesson to learn from X1-II

Having followed this thread from the start I have come to an inextricable conclusion.  Never purchase a first generation product from Fiio.  In this case first generation being the first Fiio DAP with the new linux based OS.  Clearly Fiio has alot of work to do to make this new OS a usable and stable platform going forward.    Assuming the X3-III will also have this new OS we can only hope that Fiio has learned alot from their issues with the X1-II.  I for one am glad I did not take the plunge on this one and I hope that the presumably better hardware on the next gen X3 will handle the new OS better.  

Well said.

It is almost like foot ball.  If a product is rushed, I will pass. 

I expect FiiO to learn from this and not repeat the mistake of making buyers beta testers.  My son is happy with my "old"  first gen X1 that I gave to him in anticipation of my replacing it with the X1-II for my self.  I wanted the Bluetooth for my helmet when I travel by motor bike.

Silly me...

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,911 of 3,121

Or Samsung or Microsoft.  I own all the FiiO DAPS, with the exception of the original X3, and they’ve all performed well.  X7 and X1 II evolved into new territories for the company so there’s been more of a learning curve.  I own players like the Lotoo Paw Gold and Questyle QP1R and for those prices it’s perfunctory to expect faultlessness right out of the box.  As far as the X1 II, consumers are getting a lot of value for this little economy player and I don’t hold it to the same crucible.  I actually enjoy Firmware updates as it enlivens a device, makes it feel anew.  I don’t mind being a guinea pig for such a small investment in this case.  Nevertheless, some people, lack patience.

You call it lack of patience,  I call it common sense.  Months from now Fiio may be able to make this thing usable for the masses but not right now.  I say this often but it bears repeating, the users on this forum make up a tiny portion of the potential customers for the X1-II.  How many of those masses want a device that needs constant firmware updates to make it functional?.  I am guessing most will have never visited this site let alone done a firmware update before.  

I have no problems doing firmware updates but it is more then that with the X1-II.  I simply don't think the hardware on this DAP is capable of running the new linux based OS properly and no amount of firmware updates will fix that.  If it would then why hasn't Fiio released it yet?  That should have been the first firmware update released if all it took were firmware tweaks to fix the performance issues.

You guys keep saying it isn't bad for the price, well the Xduoo X10 sells for about the same price and has alot fewer issues.  The Shanling M1 also looks like a pretty nice little DAP as well and it has Apt-X bluetooth.   The X1-II is not the only game in town in this price range, just saying.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,912 of 3,121
You call it lack of patience,  I call it common sense.  Months from now Fiio may be able to make this thing usable for the masses but not right now.  I say this often but it bears repeating, the users on this forum make up a tiny portion of the potential customers for the X1-II.  How many of those masses want a device that needs constant firmware updates to make it functional?.  I am guessing most will have never visited this site let alone done a firmware update before.  

I have no problems doing firmware updates but it is more then that with the X1-II.  I simply don't think the hardware on this DAP is capable of running the new linux based OS properly and no amount of firmware updates will fix that.  If it would then why hasn't Fiio released it yet?  That should have been the first firmware update released if all it took were firmware tweaks to fix the performance issues.

You guys keep saying it isn't bad for the price, well the Xduoo X10 sells for about the same price and has alot fewer issues.  The Shanling M1 also looks like a pretty nice little DAP as well and it has Apt-X bluetooth.   The X1-II is not the only game in town in this price range, just saying.

I don't understand why people are defending the buy now, fix later approach Fiio are taking either. As you said, everyday people that saw the X1ii as a replacement for their old iPod's aren't likely to follow this thread, update their firmware or even know that you can do so. Not to mention some of the advertised features aren't even on the player yet. I can understand people trying to defend and justify their purchase - but this is a massive disappointment that I don't think can be fixed with firmware updates either. My hope is that they fix it to the best of their ability before they even think about releasing the X3iii.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,914 of 3,121
  FiiO learned that you should now release DAP with bad FW. They delay X5III release to improve its FW as I read.

That's what they said in the X5III thread.  However, I still don't think the X5III will be where it should be when it's released globally, but it will be functional and still requiring many fw updates to get it where it's supposed to be.  The X1II on the other hand...I just don't know what to expect from it.  Even 10 fw updates from now, I'm not sure the lag in the UI will ever go away, media library scanning speed will ever improve, or if the Bluetooth will ever get any better.  I agree with others and think there are limitations with the hardware that will prevent certain things from ever improving with this DAP.  Granted, the DAP is usable, but not where it should be.  I've said this so many times now, but FiiO should have spent some more money on R&D and testing before releasing the X1II.  If you say a device can do something, then the device should be able to do it when a person buys it (regardless of cost or manufacturer) and people that give a company a pass for releasing half working products over and over are the reason companies keep doing it.  I've learned to not buy a new to the market DAP from FiiO when first released because it's nothing but issues.  It's always best to wait.  I keep seeing people saying they are holding off from writing reviews on this DAP because they are waiting for a better fw which I think is wrong.  If they sent it to you in it's current state to be reviewed, then review it.  It might send a better message than a bunch of us complaining on head-fi.  Some honest reviews regarding all of the issues brought up in this thread might convince them to put a little more effort into their products prior to releasing them to the public.  I don't mind fw updates if they add something or optimize something, but multiple fw updates from day one and it still can't do what they say it can is a problem IMO.  Others may see things differently, but this is my opinion on the matter.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,915 of 3,121

I just happen to like having a touch wheel again, so that was my main gratification.  I was sent an X1 II gratis so that I felt no sturm and drang about it or the need to write endless antiphons.

However, if I spend a hundred bucks on a lapdance and the woman had an artificial hip, I might get annoyed.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,916 of 3,121
+1

Actually, jokes aside, this is quite unnerving to see Fiio dropping tneir products when the software part is unfinished. Because you cannot really know whether or not their promises of features will be fulfilled. Maybe the gapless feature is not implemented yet not because they're still tweaking it in beta test but because they still haven't managed to do that. If the gapless was actually already possible for the Dev Team to implement, we would have already had it starting FW 1.5, or maybe even in a beta branch of the FW.

Maybe they're evaluating the features of their products according to the hardware they have, and not that + what their Dev Team can or cannot do.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,917 of 3,121
I really think that Fiio gets hung up on hitting a certain price point and then tries to cobble a DAP together based on that projected price.  All manufacturers do it to some extent but most will alter their pricing to a degree to make sure the final product works and performs well.  Fiio had $100.00 MSRP on the X1-II set probably before development began.  They made a number of changes and possible improvements if they actually worked but did not budge from that price point.  If the X1-II had been released at $120.00 MSRP but much more stable with fewer issues I would gladly pay the higher price.

If Fiio had come out on this forum and said hey guys we really wanted to price this DAP at $100.00 but with the new OS and adding bluetooth along with other design changes we have had to raise the price to say $120.00 or so.  My response would have been, no problem as long as things work the way they are suppose to on first release and firmware is released to improve features not just fix them.

I think the price point for the M3 was like $50.00 and look how that turned out (still a work in progress).  So if you have to bump your prices a little higher to make a better product.  I don't have a problem paying a little more as long as the product works as advertised.

Has anyone else noticed the crazy prices on amazon.com (fulfilled by amazon) for the X7?  Fiio must be taking a pretty big hit in the wallet right now so I doubt they can afford another iffy release on the X5-III, fingers crossed!!

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,918 of 3,121

I just happen to like having a touch wheel again, so that was my main gratification.  I was sent an X1 II gratis so that I felt no sturm and drang about it or the need to write endless antiphons.

However, if I spend a hundred bucks on a lapdance and the woman had an artificial hip, I might get annoyed.

Would you be annoyed if the lapdance cost $120.00, the woman had two perfectly good hips and you enjoyed the experience. You gets what you pay for dude, cheaper isn't always better
tongue.gif

As for my endless antiphons, I am told I have a very soothing voice. Forgive me for wanting to get what I paid for and not a less than reasonable facsimile.  I wouldn't settle for anything less for anything else I purchase so why should a DAP be any different.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back