FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Jan 17, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #1,951 of 3,121

Judging by the size of the uncompressed PNG files, it decompresses them on spot, causing the lag. 

Android by itself will load everything in the RAM - but this doesn't take into account for the fact that if RAM is limited - it loads only the essential parts. 

It might also keep some things loaded without them being needed - and this is an Android limitation - not something that devs can really change. 

Is our system Android or just Linux based? 

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #1,952 of 3,121
  Is our system Android or just Linux based? 

I think it is just linux based - but then again - my knowledge of linux and Android is not as good as it once was - when I was overclocking smartphones - so I mix them up as the same some of the time. 

I apologize for this
redface.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,953 of 3,121

I think it is just linux based - but then again - my knowledge of linux and Android is not as good as it once was - when I was overclocking smartphones - so I mix them up as the same some of the time. 

I apologize for this
redface.gif

Judging from the architecture of the filesystem, I'd say linux.
Also, if this is actually mplayer which is used for playback, this is actually quite a problem, because gapless playback is a pain to implement using mplayer : http://snipplr.com/view/18353/gapless-playback-for-mplayer-linux/

It's not impossible, but it requires some hack to achieve it. :/

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,954 of 3,121

Judging from the architecture of the filesystem, I'd say linux.
Also, if this is actually mplayer which is used for playback, this is actually quite a problem, because gapless playback is a pain to implement using mplayer : http://snipplr.com/view/18353/gapless-playback-for-mplayer-linux/

It's not impossible, but it requires some hack to achieve it. :/

Oh.... 

Maybe we fix it before everyone else 
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what the basic playback engine is, but mplayer is native to linux and most linux architectures use a fork or tweak of it - but if FiiO constructed or changed it we might brick a unit when testing. And having done software development I know that you cannot get something right on the first try..... 

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,955 of 3,121
True that. Tat's actually the biggest concern I also have : how the programs have been compiled for this linux build, and with which library. If we have no info on that, then tweaking the filesystem by adding new programs will be too much of a hastle.

I'll try to chroot in the filesystem, just to see how it works.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,956 of 3,121
  True that. Tat's actually the biggest concern I also have : how the programs have been compiled for this linux build, and with which library. If we have no info on that, then tweaking the filesystem by adding new programs will be too much of a hastle.

I'll try to chroot in the filesystem, just to see how it works.

I have uncompressed the images for theme 1 and send the dropbox link to @Dobrescu George . Hopefully this will yield a positive result with regards to sorting out the lag

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,957 of 3,121
  I have uncompressed the images for theme 1 and send the dropbox link to @Dobrescu George . Hopefully this will yield a positive result with regards to sorting out the lag

I don't know how to compile it back together, I think that we will need to use the same thing that decompiled them, but I was not the one who decompiled so I really do not know what to do here...
redface.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,959 of 3,121
  It doesn't help Fiio when people say hey Fiio its okey that the X1-II has its problems, we'll just sit and wait patiently until you figure it out.  Nothing will change if that is the feedback they keep getting from this forum.  If this was an automobile or even a cell phone there would probably have been a factory recall by now. 

That hasn’t been what is occurring.  People are copiously reporting issues and bugs.  FiiO is acknowledging these posts and will work on addressing them via firmware.  Customers that buy the first edition of Windows from Microsoft are commonly dubbed “beta testers,” so there’s a bit of a precedent for this.  If you don’t have the player, then we all remember what John McClane said about that.  I believe those showing patience are a direct result of being pleased with the SQ.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,961 of 3,121
That hasn’t been what is occurring.  People are copiously reporting issues and bugs.  FiiO is acknowledging these posts and will work on addressing them via firmware.  Customers that buy the first edition of Windows from Microsoft are commonly dubbed “beta testers,” so there’s a bit of a precedent for this.  If you don’t have the player, then we all remember what John McClane said about that.  I believe those showing patience are a direct result of being pleased with the SQ.

Dude, there has been a lot of issues, and Fiio tried to correct them, that is for sure. But the remaining issues are either feature-breaking (Bluetooth) or just non-existent marketed features (gapless, for example). People are gradually losing their patience because of that, and that there are other alternatives on the market with the same price point and fewer, if no problems at all.

Personnally, the one thing that's keeping me here is the fact that the FW is based off Linux, but not everyone is willing to buy a product openly incomplete, or to do some dirty deeds on the software to have the thing working.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,962 of 3,121

There is a difference in reporting bugs to Fiio and hoping they can fix them and saying hey Fiio we are kind of getting tired of this.  Start releasing better DAP's on first release so we don't have to wait for 15 firmware updates to hopefully have a working product.  If Fiio was giving this unit to beta testers for free and having them report bugs that would be one thing.  But making people pay full price and then have them report bugs and hope they can be fixed is entirely different.  We are customers not Fiio employees!!

Dude, there has been a lot of issues, and Fiio tried to correct them, that is for sure. But the remaining issues are either feature-breaking (Bluetooth) or just non-existent marketed features (gapless, for example). People are gradually losing their patience because of that, and that there are other alternatives on the market with the same price point and fewer, if no problems at all.

Personnally, the one thing that's keeping me here is the fact that the FW is based off μC-OS, but not everyone is willing to buy a product openly incomplete, or to do some dirty deeds on the software to have the thing working.

Someone who actually gets it!!

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,963 of 3,121

Personnally, the one thing that's keeping me here is the fact that the FW is based off Linux, but not everyone is willing to buy a product openly incomplete, or to do some dirty deeds on the software to have the thing working.

Let's hope we can sprinkle some magic, tweaking and making the UI and FW better has been a thing since the days of Cowon J3 - why stop now? 

I hope we can get to do the same thing for all other FiiO DAPs now!!! 

EDIT::: Remaking UI graphics was actually a lot of fun even back then... 

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,964 of 3,121

Let's hope we can sprinkle some magic, tweaking and making the UI and FW better has been a thing since the days of Cowon J3 - why stop now? 

I hope we can get to do the same thing for all other FiiO DAPs now!!! 

EDIT::: Remaking UI graphics was actually a lot of fun even back then... 

Yeah, let's hope so! :D This will become interesting as Time goes by.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,965 of 3,121
I think it is optimistic to think all the problems will be resolved in firmware updates.  It would certainly be nice if that would happen but perhaps unrealistic.  With the X5-III now hitting the market and the X3-III likely being released this year devoting resources to fixing the X1-II along with the X7 and supposed continued work on the M3 how many resource can be devoted to this one DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back