FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Jan 18, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,981 of 3,121

No, I wasn't.  The X5 III is android, correct?

Oh, yeah. The X5-III is Android-based. Well, you know the drill : the Hardware is well thought-out but the fork of Android is drunk ^^' (Indulgence put on that one, as another company developed the Android build for them, if I recall well)
But still, looks a little bit easier to tamper with

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,982 of 3,121
  from what I understand, Android isn't the most efficient, which may mean thatit requires more advanced hardware than what is actually necessary when we're talking about a "simple" music player. But hey, maybe using somehting like Android would be the lesser of 2 evils. 

I'll be getting the new X5 sometime this week for review..so let's see how much Fiio has learned from the X7 and whether or not Android is a viable option. 

It's not only that.
Most chinese manufacturers are using cheap socs from small chinese companies because they have no other choice.
Usually these Socs are manufactured with a bigger manufacturing process( for example: 40nm  vs 28 or 14nm ), they have less R&D, usually they are intended for other uses( tv boxes and such) so they have a lot of unnecessary features and laking ones that are necessary(low power optimization etc),they usually don't support a lot of things like newer DDR modules,USB3.0,Storage/wifi/bluetooth modules and more(just so you understand, newer memory and BT standards consume less power and improve speed, connectivity etc).
All of those things are important for bigger battery life and transfer speeds.
That is why companies that use Socs from qualcomm for example, can get a more afficient soc that will last more time and support a lot of other things(Of course you'll still need to work on optimizing the software).
You can't blame fiio, they are still not a big company that can afford purchasing from big companies.
I'm sure that in time, fiio and other smaller manufacturers will be able to use better socs.

I tahought about a few things that may be done to improve things like that.

1.Fiio can try and contact a manufacturer and maybe do a collaboration to create a new SOC that is entirely made for daps
2. Fiio can release the code and maybe get some help from the community with the development of new features and bug fixing.

Again, just my opinion about what can be done, even they won't do it, fiio is a great company and i believe they will succeed.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,984 of 3,121

2. Fiio can release the code and maybe get some help from the community with the development of new features and bug fixing.

Can't agree enough with this. Although, a number of us have suggested this, especially those of us who were heavily involved with creating themes for their previous players. Even if we could just help out to refresh the look of the UI. Unfortunately this has fallen on deaf ears. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #1,985 of 3,121
Oh, yeah. The X5-III is Android-based. Well, you know the drill : the Hardware is well thought-out but the fork of Android is drunk ^^' (Indulgence put on that one, as another company developed the Android build for them, if I recall well)
But still, looks a little bit easier to tamper with

Actually x5-3 looks golden stable thus far (?)

And as it is Android, we will be able to do quite a bit with it (?)

I am one of the few lucky ones who has only seen golden stable FW on all daps including x7. I mean, I even have some conspicuous files like ogg and files recovered from a failed mSD but all fiio daps just worked well for me.

With x1 , of we fix the lag , we're golden .

I personally think that forking FW for a dap is part of what makes this hobby interesting - I just have fun doing this. Always had fun doing this, I am sorry for people who have experienced any kind of problems, I guess that I'm just way less concerned about any type of problem and I enjoy music and life more than I am bothered by any kind of detail.

I know for a reason that building a simple all that does something simple can be terribly hard and I also know that my smaphone sometime skips parts of songs for no reason - x7 and x5 and x5ii were much better in this aspect, I have never had a single second of music skipped and I've used x5 series daps for what - 3 years now :D

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,986 of 3,121
Actually x5-3 looks golden stable thus far (?)

And as it is Android, we will be able to do quite a bit with it (?)

I am one of the few lucky ones who has only seen golden stable FW on all daps including x7. I mean, I even have some conspicuous files like ogg and files recovered from a failed mSD but all fiio daps just worked well for me.

With x1 , of we fix the lag , we're golden .

I personally think that forking FW for a dap is part of what makes this hobby interesting - I just have fun doing this. Always had fun doing this, I am sorry for people who have experienced any kind of problems, I guess that I'm just way less concerned about any type of problem and I enjoy music and life more than I am bothered by any kind of detail.

I know for a reason that building a simple all that does something simple can be terribly hard and I also know that my smaphone sometime skips parts of songs for no reason - x7 and x5 and x5ii were much better in this aspect, I have never had a single second of music skipped and I've used x5 series daps for what - 3 years now
biggrin.gif

...wanna try to Git the whole thing? ^_^

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,987 of 3,121
...wanna try to Git the whole thing? ^_^

Lol XD

I mean - if fiio allows us to - why not ?

X1ii looks like a cool dap to tinker with FW wise - it is quite cheap - the sound is amazing - and we can probably have some fun with playing with the FW around.

Not sure what is FiiO take on this though - they might prefer for the FW to stay theirs, Chinese market might have a much fiercer competition than we know (?)

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #1,988 of 3,121

Dear maor,

In order to protect intellectual property, we may not be able to release the code. Hope you can understand. Thank you for your support to us!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 18, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #1,989 of 3,121
  Dear maor,

In order to protect intellectual property, we may not be able to release the code. Hope you can understand. Thank you for your support to us!

Best regards

I do understand.
Like i've said berfore, these were only suggestions in order to help improve your great products!
And if there's anything i can help with, don't hesitate to ask :)

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,991 of 3,121
I found this while looking a the files, looks like a history of the tests the DAP has been put through : http://pastebin.com/rT0gdrta.

Looks like they also tried video files on it.

That looks very interesting !!! Gotta wonder why or what the results were. :D //curious by nature.

Have we found a way to recompile things once we made any changes ? We have something to test out for speed improvements but we haven't compiled it back yet...

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,992 of 3,121
Well, rather that recompiling, we should say repacking or rebuilding the YAFFS2 image. I know that yaffs2utils provides a tool to repack an uncompressed image, but I don't know for Macs.

Also, the fear was justified : the programs were compiled for a MIPS architecture. And the most used of the software resides in /usr/pv-project.

Being able to speed up the X1-II by uncompressing the PNGs is already a huge step, but this case still piqued my curiosity. Right now, I'm pretty busy, but I'll try to document the filesystem further, maybe I missed something else with potential.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,993 of 3,121
Well, rather that recompiling, we should say repacking or rebuilding the YAFFS2 image. I know that yaffs2utils provides a tool to repack an uncompressed image, but I don't know for Macs.

Also, the fear was justified : the programs were compiled for a MIPS architecture. And the most used of the software resides in /usr/pv-project.

Being able to speed up the X1-II by uncompressing the PNGs is already a huge step, but this case still piqued my curiosity. Right now, I'm pretty busy, but I'll try to document the filesystem further, maybe I missed something else with potential.

Really looking forward for what you'll find out. 

After we repack it we can start taking off alpha channels from the PNG images then strip some of the details to further speed it up - there is a lot of processing we should be able to do to speed things up! 

IF you're on MAC, why not put ubuntu on a USB and run from USB or run an emulated or virtual machine ? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,994 of 3,121

Really looking forward for what you'll find out. 

After we repack it we can start taking off alpha channels from the PNG images then strip some of the details to further speed it up - there is a lot of processing we should be able to do to speed things up! 

IF you're on MAC, why not put ubuntu on a USB and run from USB or run an emulated or virtual machine ? :D

Actually, I'm on Linux, but I remember that the image was first upacked on a MAC. btw, installing the yaffs2utils was a breeze :D

I'll try to keep y'all in touch tomorrow

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,995 of 3,121
FiiO Releases the Chinese New Year Firmware FW1.5.6 for X1 2nd gen: http://www.head-fi.org/t/822632/official-x1-2nd-gen-stable-firmware-discussion-thread-fw1-5-6

X1 2nd gen FW1.5.6:  >>Click here.  
How to upgrade the X1 2nd gen: >> Click here

The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.5.6 compared to FW1.5.3:
1. Improved the issue that some tracks could not be updated to the media library;
2. Fixed issue where the player might freeze when playing certain tracks;
3. Fixed issue where the player might freeze when skipping through albums under the Album category;
4. Fixed issue where there would be no sound output when connecting to some Bluetooth speakers;
5. Fixed issue where the player might freeze after searching for a Bluetooth device then turning off the screen and waking up.
6. Miscellaneous bug fixes.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back