[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,171 of 2,559
If you want better isolation and like more of a neutral presenation the FA7S is what that is. Much better isolation vs the FH5S as the design is closed. But those dont have the bass end of the FH5S. FH5S is semi open structure as it has open grills on the back. It isnt out right terrible but it more than makes up for it with an airy wide stage and big dynamics. Basically if you dont have $599 for the Fiio FH9.. The SQ difference on the UTW5S from the FH5S vs the FH9 is not much. Let me put it this way I actually prefered how the FH5S sounded on the UTWS5 vs the FH9.

The synergistic aspect of this pairing is what makes them sound so good on the UTWS5. I don't know if the sale there applies to the pro version of the FH5S but if you guys plan on using the FH5S on anything other than the UTWS5. Go for the pro version as it comes with a much better cable vs the stock version. IF you just plan on using it with the UTWS5. Just go for the standard version as you won't need that cable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,172 of 2,559
Any of you guys looking for a perfectly matching earphone for the UTWS5. Snap up a FH5S.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...s-zone-april-26-28-2022.963046/#post-16927886

Snap a set up during sales. The reason why they match up so well. UTWS5 is a tuned a bit warm, smooth analoguish AK sound signature. FH5S sound stupendous on these as it infuses stage, dynamic, bass mids and most importantly has a slight extra for trebles that counters the warmth of the UTWS5.

Perfect synergy is achieved. The FH5S sounds better on the UTWS5 vs just about any other source I have heard them on. Sound quality on this set up is crazy and that is with me trying over a dozen earphones including much higher end sets.
Or, UTWS5 ==> IT 07
UTWS5-IT07.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,174 of 2,559
Ya love the IT07 as well on the UTWS5. But for something that is currently costing $200 down from $300. Can't beat that SQ and synergy for the bucks.
Oh, I agree, '07s are near the bottom of stupid expensive. But then I've spent stupid money on everything else, why not on IEMs as well :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,175 of 2,559
Any of you guys looking for a perfectly matching earphone for the UTWS5. Snap up a FH5S.
1650650677429.png
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...s-zone-april-26-28-2022.963046/#post-16927886

Snap a set up during sales. The reason why they match up so well. UTWS5 is a tuned a bit warm, smooth analoguish AK sound signature. FH5S sound stupendous on these as it infuses stage, dynamic, bass mids and most importantly has a slight extra for trebles that counters the warmth of the UTWS5.

Perfect synergy is achieved. The FH5S sounds better on the UTWS5 vs just about any other source I have heard them on. Sound quality on this set up is crazy and that is with me trying over a dozen earphones including much higher end sets.
I had the FiiO FH5s back in November, 2021. I've kept them for about 4 weeks and returned them, unimpressed, even after 200+ hours of burn-in. Have you listened to the 7Hz Timeless or the TRI I3? Have you listened to the RAPTGO HOOK-X? How do these compare to the combination UTWS5 + FH5s?

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,176 of 2,559
I have the Tri I3 but never tried them on the UTWS5 but I can tell you the FH5S on the UTWS5 is a different beast. It is all about that synergy. I brought up this pairing as it is the earphone I have permanently on the UTWS5 out of all Fiio phones and just about anything else I tried them with.

I bet the Tri I3 is not a good match up as they have an overall smoothness to the sound which is not the type of signature that ends up being a good match up on the UTWS5.
Tri I3 needs good power and a more neutrally tuned source so that might not be a good pairing. Warm and warm is not a good match. Could be a decent match up. We will see.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,177 of 2,559
I have the Tri I3 but never tried them on the UTWS5 but I can tell you the FH5S on the UTWS5 is a different beast. It is all about that synergy. I brought up this pairing as it is the earphone I have permanently on the UTWS5 out of all Fiio phones and just about anything else I tried them with.

I bet the Tri I3 is not a good match up as they have an overall smoothness to the sound which is not the type of signature that ends up being a good match up on the UTWS5.
Tri I3 needs good power and a more neutrally tuned source so that might not be a good pairing. Warm and warm is not a good match. Could be a decent match up. We will see.
I have tried the TRI I3 + UTWS5 for a few days and, you are right, they are not a good match. My TRI I3 sound excellent with my Qudelix-5K and perfect with my Mojo 2. I have permanently hooked my 7Hz Timeless to my UTWS5 and that sounds awesome, to me. Looking forward in receiving my RAPTGO HOOK-X to see how they will sound together.

I believe you, FH5s + UTWS5 might be a great pair, but this year 7Hz will release two new IEMs... I prefer to wait and see. Thanks for your suggestion :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #1,178 of 2,559
Ya love the IT07 as well on the UTWS5. But for something that is currently costing $200 down from $300. Can't beat that SQ and synergy for the bucks.
How do the FH5 pair with them, I'm very interested in what you are saying but I want any TWS IEMs I have to have good isolation.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,179 of 2,559
Best Isolation of all the Fiio IEMS is the FA7S hands down. The old FH5 unfortunately I sold those off a long time ago so no longer have them.
1650663756707.png
Sealed form factor of the FA7S and using 6 BAs. Passive isolation, if I was a guessing should be around 28dbs of passive isolation.

This is what I wrote on my review of the pairing with the UTWS5

Finally FA7S you can read about here.. The most neutral pairing of the previously mentioned earphone pairings. For enthusiasts that want maximum detail with a neutral balanced tuning. The FA7S provides the best passive isolation as it is an all BA closed design and if you must have silence when traveling the FA7S is by far Fiios best passive isolating earphones. Beyond that. The pair up with the UTWS5 is fantastic. Being an all BA design using 6 Knowles BAs, technicalities; stage, imaging, instrument separation and detail. The FA7S has great extension on both ends of the spectrum and hence pairs well with the UTWS more analoguish sound signature. The FA7S delivers if you're a detail freak. These are the earphones to pair up with the UTWS5. Here is where the sum of all the parts equals a high end sound. Using the UTWS5 and the FA7S bring out a sound you would never hear with most TWS earphones and for Metal fans this is the ultimate TWS pairing. You get speed that only BAs can provide. Neutral in its tonality and multi BA detail that will become one of your favorites to use on the daily.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #1,180 of 2,559
Best Isolation of all the Fiio IEMS is the FA7S hands down. The old FH5 unfortunately I sold those off a long time ago so no longer have them.
1650663756707.png
Sealed form factor of the FA7S and using 6 BAs. Passive isolation, if I was a guessing should be around 28dbs of passive isolation.

This is what I wrote on my review of the pairing with the UTWS5

Finally FA7S you can read about here.. The most neutral pairing of the previously mentioned earphone pairings. For enthusiasts that want maximum detail with a neutral balanced tuning. The FA7S provides the best passive isolation as it is an all BA closed design and if you must have silence when traveling the FA7S is by far Fiios best passive isolating earphones. Beyond that. The pair up with the UTWS5 is fantastic. Being an all BA design using 6 Knowles BAs, technicalities; stage, imaging, instrument separation and detail. The FA7S has great extension on both ends of the spectrum and hence pairs well with the UTWS more analoguish sound signature. The FA7S delivers if you're a detail freak. These are the earphones to pair up with the UTWS5. Here is where the sum of all the parts equals a high end sound. Using the UTWS5 and the FA7S bring out a sound you would never hear with most TWS earphones and for Metal fans this is the ultimate TWS pairing. You get speed that only BAs can provide. Neutral in its tonality and multi BA detail that will become one of your favorites to use on the daily.
Great review and think the FA7S could be worth a try

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,182 of 2,559
I use this angled adapter from OEAudio and they seem to work quite well.

IMG-2152.jpg
(apologies for the bad quality - took a quick snap at work)

The small nitpick I have with the MMCX > 0.78 mm is the swivel and having to adjust them every time you take them off or put them on (maybe just annoying thing about MMCX in general). Small price to pay to ensure the IEMs fit I guess.

Links:
Angled
Straight

I will say that I ordered direct and it took about a month to get to me - likely the same if you were to order from Aliexpress.

Edit: I got the angled version based on a recommendation from @thefallenangelx. The angled adapter fits the case better than straight.
Gotta give credit where its due:ksc75smile:.
How do you like them with the Variations? I'm looking at getting a pair.

I currently have the FH5 IEMs on my UTWS5 and love their decent sound and great sub bass. From reviews and graphs it seems like the variations are just a much better technical and tonal IEM while keeping the great bass/sub bass of the FH5.

Would you agree?

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,183 of 2,559
So no option to pause the music when enabling ambient mode? :frowning2:
That’s not correct. Single-tap to pause/play. 3 taps to enable/disable Ambient mode. Also 2 taps for FF (right ear) or REW (left).

These 3 functions are independent of each other.

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,184 of 2,559
That’s not correct. Single-tap to pause/play. 3 taps to enable/disable Ambient mode. Also 2 taps for FF (right ear) or REW (left).

These 3 functions are independent of each other.

I meant if there's an option the app for the music to auto pause when enabling ambient mode, a few OEMs offer this for their true wireless earbuds.

Obviously there's a pause/play button function.

Apr 23, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,185 of 2,559
I meant if there's an option the app for the music to auto pause when enabling ambient mode, a few OEMs offer this for their true wireless earbuds.

Obviously there's a pause/play button function.
Oh, you mean automatically pause while switching to/from Ambient?

No. Music is muted during the transition, but does not pause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back