[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
May 21, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #1,336 of 2,559
Yes my lights go off after a while, while connected to the usb cable also.
Have you tried connecting your second pair to the fiio app, does it come up as a second device & have its own separate settings or does it have to share the settings of your 1st one. ?
Yes, of course I've added my second UTWS5 2-pin to the FiiO Control app, it cannot be set up otherwise. I've added it and updated to the latest firmware. I've also renamed it to UTWS5 2 pin, to be able to distinguish it from my MMCX pair.

According to the manual or even the Guide inside the Control app, the LEDs should stay permanently ON after a full charge, while connected to USB. I'm not sure for how long but they should. My MMCX unit does it like that. With my 2 pin unit I cannot know when it's fully charged. I need to unplug it and plug it back in to USB, to see if it's fully charged.

I don't mind this but I need to know if it indicates a malfunctioning unit.

@FiiO , please advise

May 21, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #1,337 of 2,559
Yes, of course I've added my second UTWS5 2-pin to the FiiO Control app, it cannot be set up otherwise. I've added it and updated to the latest firmware. I've also renamed it to UTWS5 2 pin, to be able to distinguish it from my MMCX pair.

According to the manual or even the Guide inside the Control app, the LEDs should stay permanently ON after a full charge, while connected to USB. I'm not sure for how long but they should. My MMCX unit does it like that. With my 2 pin unit I cannot know when it's fully charged. I need to unplug it and plug it back in to USB, to see if it's fully charged.

I don't mind this but I need to know if it indicates a malfunctioning unit.

@FiiO , please advise
Yes let's hope fiio chimes in with an answer.
I can put my utws5 back in the case after using them & put the usb power on & it doesn't take long until the lights go out, I'm sure the hooks wouldn't have charged in that short time. On the fiio site it states that the lights are always on while powered by the usb.

May 21, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,338 of 2,559
I'm using my UTWS5 with an AptX Adaptive USB bluetooth dongle which supports Snapdragon Sound (up to 24-bit 96kHz) via the Qualcomm QCC3056 Bluetooth audio chip.

I ordered the one in the link below on aliexpress. It arrived today and sounds amazing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002342830048.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.6bfc1802h9BuSK
According to the link info it is not Snapdragon Sound certified. Just Aptx adaptive is not sufficient to indicate the Snapdragon Sound capability. The UTWS5 is Snapdragon Sound certified and I am using it with a Motorola Edge 2021 smartphone source that is also Snapdragon Sound certified.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,339 of 2,559
According to the link info it is not Snapdragon Sound certified. Just Aptx adaptive is not sufficient to indicate the Snapdragon Sound capability. The UTWS5 is Snapdragon Sound certified and I am using it with a Motorola Edge 2021 smartphone source that is also Snapdragon Sound certified.

According to the Qualcomm website, the QCC3056 chip is Snapdragon Sound certified. That's why I specifically mentioned the chip.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/application/audio/qcc30xx-series/qcc3056

May 21, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #1,340 of 2,559
May 21, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,341 of 2,559
Having a real "Fiio-fest" today on a dog walk: M11 Plus LTD, UTWS5 with FH9 iem. Delightful experience playing from downloaded Tidal Master tracks on the M11.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,342 of 2,559
This is my understanding: The OEM implimentation of the chip is how Snapdragon Sound certification of a device using the chip is defined. Thus, if the OEM doesn't enable the Snapdragon Sound capability in the end device.....no Snapdragon Sound.
My understanding is that Snapdragon Sound isn't a technology that's being "enabled by the OEM". My research reveals that "Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound is an optimized chain of audio technologies and software that is designed to deliver high-resolution music, crystal-clear voice calls, and lag-free gaming with superior connectivity and extended battery life."

Therefore, while the Bluetooth dongle might not be officially certified, the soundchip certainly is and will be capable to provide the same audio quality. (Snapdragon Sound can deliver up to 24-bit 96kHz lossless Bluetooth audio and super wideband 32kHz voice quality without any wires.)

TLDR: Snapdragon Sound is marketing but if you're looking for 24bit/96kHz audio, this dongle will be great.

Source

EDIT:
It seems on Windows 11 it delivers 16bit/96kHz audio. Pic.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,343 of 2,559
This is my understanding: The OEM implimentation of the chip is how Snapdragon Sound certification of a device using the chip is defined. Thus, if the OEM doesn't enable the Snapdragon Sound capability in the end device.....no Snapdragon Sound.
Interesting... I was originally going to wait for the Google Pixel 7 but apparently there are some phones that have this Snapdragon Sound certification that you mentioned.

Gonna be a tough decision deciding what my next long term pairing for my UTWS5 will be

May 21, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,344 of 2,559
Interesting... I was originally going to wait for the Google Pixel 7 but apparently there are some phones that have this Snapdragon Sound certification that you mentioned.

Gonna be a tough decision deciding what my next long term pairing for my UTWS5 will be
The Moto Edge 2021 is going for about $450 or $360 used so I use it as music player source for Snapdragon Sound pairing not as a phone.

May 21, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #1,345 of 2,559
Hiby RS6 DAP in aptx-HD definitely sounds much better than out of the computer and iPhone. definitely worth getting a player that can cover the newer codecs.

Edit to add a bit more context:

UTWS5 is definitely a future proof device ready for the next couple years or so. (What UTWS1 was not, it was born with many problems).

I use my UTWS5 mostly in this configuration: RS6 + UTWS5 + 64a Duo. this is a great combination that challenges the cabled Duo for non analytical listening.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,346 of 2,559
My understanding is that Snapdragon Sound isn't a technology that's being "enabled by the OEM". My research reveals that "Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound is an optimized chain of audio technologies and software that is designed to deliver high-resolution music, crystal-clear voice calls, and lag-free gaming with superior connectivity and extended battery life."

Therefore, while the Bluetooth dongle might not be officially certified, the soundchip certainly is and will be capable to provide the same audio quality. (Snapdragon Sound can deliver up to 24-bit 96kHz lossless Bluetooth audio and super wideband 32kHz voice quality without any wires.)

TLDR: Snapdragon Sound is marketing but if you're looking for 24bit/96kHz audio, this dongle will be great.

Source

EDIT:
It seems on Windows 11 it delivers 16bit/96kHz audio. Pic.
Further research indicates that only the QCC3071 chip is capable of lossless Snapdragon Sound performance:

1653155481692.png

May 21, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,348 of 2,559
Further research indicates that only the QCC3071 chip is capable of lossless Snapdragon Sound performance:

"aptX Lossless:
The UTWS5 supports Qualcomm Snapdragon sound suite of technologies. It is quite excellent at present. Since the aptX Lossless has just been released, and has not yet been widely applied, there is no chip support it. So the UTWS5 does not support it temporarily. If Qualcomm can support aptX Lossless on the QCC5141 platform stably in the future, we will also consider following up."

Source

Yes, but it seems the UTWS5 do not support aptX Lossless at the moment.

May 22, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,349 of 2,559
Yesterday when I opened the charging station, I noticed a strange smell. It was just charging both units and the charging station's battery became empty without charging the units completely. I didn't notice it until the next day. The smell was clearly coming from inside the charging station, I would say from the left side. As an amateur electrician, I would say it smelled more like battery instead of burnt electronics. It was definitely noticeable.
There is absolutely no damage visible and the smell has since disappeared.

Should I be worried? Can I check if everything is ok? Thanks.

May 22, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #1,350 of 2,559
Dear friends,

I am not sure which indicators make you confused. But you could read this FAQ for help:

【Indicator light of the left and right ear hooks】
1. Left and right ear hooks are charging: White light pulses for about 15s before going off. (The indicator light will stay ON if the charging case is connecting to a USB. )
2. Left and right ear hooks are fully charged: White light goes out.
【Indicator light of the charging case】
1. Remaining power indication (indicates when opening the case every time.)
21%~100%: White light constantly on for 5s;
20%~0%: Red light constantly on for 5s.
2. Charging case status indication:
Charging: White light pulses;
Fully charged: White light constantly on.
3. Ear hooks (in the case) status indication:
Pairing: Red&white light flash alternately.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back