[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Feb 19, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #916 of 2,559
Yes if you could check what programing stays with the device it would be very much appreciated as I am considering buying the utws5 to go with a 64audio a12t.
I will be using it on my Samsung note9 & my dap. Thanks Grant.
Yep, just tested and it works. I set my ambient volume to max then disconnected phone and connected to my laptop, ambient volume still at max. I don't recommend anyone set their ambient volume to max 🙂

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #917 of 2,559
I would not get lost or over rate the Fiio control app.
Most people probably use it couple of times for the initial setup and the firmware update or for configuration changes and that's when you really need it.

Right now I am using the UTWS5 on PC and Android.
I would like to point out that there are independent and transparent options (apps) out there that allow you to change the sound signature.

On Android I am using the "RE Equalizer" app from wise schematics which has ton of functionality like obviously equalizer, deep bass, surround, amplifier, preset profiles, intensity etc.
I am not getting any sales kickback from the boys, also the app is not cheap (10$) but it is a great app !
There are of course many other options out there as well, I happened to stick with this because it just works and is really well made.

On Pc there used to be Equalizer APO, unfortunately it requires to install drivers, so it might not work for everybody.

If you consider that at some point of life you will have IEM's from different makers I am kind of reluctant to install the apps from each vendor.
I want a consistent interface 95% of the time. This saves me time and grieve.
The alternative also allows me to do stuff independent from vendors apps, so its all about putting the control back to us the users.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #918 of 2,559
I registered an account just to respond to this.

I also have a OnePlus 9 Pro and struggled long and hard trying to figure out why my audio cuts out within 20 seconds and then you lose all functionality (needing a complete reset of the UTWS5).

The UTWS5 works just fine -- the AptX Adaptive setting on the OnePlus 9 Pro doesn't work properly, even though you can select it from the Developer's menu. Downgrading to regular AptX works just fine.

To test this, I purchased the QCC3040 USB transmitter in this thread that has AptX Adaptive and it works just fine. I also purchased an LG V60 ThinQ with native AptX Adaptive support and that also works just fine.

I spent a few frustrating days...just wanted to publicly post this for others with the same phone.
It’s actually something of both worlds (fiio and oneplus) I own audio technica cks50tw’s and they work flawlessly on adaptive apt x, just as the xc91t (adaptive too) and qudelix 5k on adaptive, I truly don’t know where the bug is, since it starts playing and then it gets off. I’m hoping for lhdc (I own oneplus buds pro too and it works marvels on em)

Aptx is good for now, but it’s a pain to switch from developer options all the time… oxygen os 11 was way better on that side

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #919 of 2,559
Hi all,

I'm in the market for TWS Earphones, since I eventually want to get AR Glasses that connect via my phone's USB-C port, and my phone doesn't have a Headphone Jack.

I've been doing a lot of research on TWS Earphones, and I've ordered several to try out. I just came across the products from Fiio and Shure that allow you to connect IEMs to over-the-ear style Bluetooth adapters.

I know I'd be giving up ANC, and I've heard the mics on the UTWS5 are bad, and hopefully Fiio will get Transparency Mode sorted, but could sound quality potentially be significantly better than any TWS Earbuds out there?

Also, how would the Fiio UTWS5 compare with the Shure True Wireless Adapter? https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/rmce-tw2

I did see one YouTube reviewer say he got the UTWS5, and wouldn't be going back to the Shure.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #920 of 2,559
Hi all,

I'm in the market for TWS Earphones, since I eventually want to get AR Glasses that connect via my phone's USB-C port, and my phone doesn't have a Headphone Jack.

I've been doing a lot of research on TWS Earphones, and I've ordered several to try out. I just came across the products from Fiio and Shure that allow you to connect IEMs to over-the-ear style Bluetooth adapters.

I know I'd be giving up ANC, and I've heard the mics on the UTWS5 are bad, and hopefully Fiio will get Transparency Mode sorted, but could sound quality potentially be significantly better than any TWS Earbuds out there?

Also, how would the Fiio UTWS5 compare with the Shure True Wireless Adapter? https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/rmce-tw2

I did see one YouTube reviewer say he got the UTWS5, and wouldn't be going back to the Shure.

Thanks for your help.
I own the shure tw2 hooked up to se846 & I have no problems what so ever, the sound is great & I use them on my sp1000m & my note9 with out any connection problems.
I can't compare them with the fiio utws5 because I don't have them.
I will purchase the fiio after they sort out the problems they appear to be having.

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #922 of 2,559
I own the shure tw2 hooked up to se846 & I have no problems what so ever, the sound is great & I use them on my sp1000m & my note9 with out any connection problems.
I can't compare them with the fiio utws5 because I don't have them.
I will purchase the fiio after they sort out the problems they appear to be having.
Thanks for replying. It seems like the Olina IEMs may be promising to use with these Bluetooth Adapters: https://www.linsoul.com/products/tripowin-x-hbb-olina

You'd need these Connection Adapters to attach the Olinas though right? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XKWJK6T/ref=twister_B07XJRDJCX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And do you know if the Olinas will fit in the Shure case? I saw that some IEMs aren't going to fit in the case.

Also, what problems do the UTWS5 still have? I saw that they can connect to your paired device when they're supposed to be charging inside the case!

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #923 of 2,559
Thanks for replying. It seems like the Olina IEMs may be promising to use with these Bluetooth Adapters: https://www.linsoul.com/products/tripowin-x-hbb-olina

You'd need these Connection Adapters to attach the Olinas though right? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XKWJK6T/ref=twister_B07XJRDJCX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And do you know if the Olinas will fit in the Shure case? I saw that some IEMs aren't going to fit in the case.

Also, what problems do the UTWS5 still have? I saw that they can connect to your paired device when they're supposed to be charging inside the case!
Yes you will need those Adapters to go from mmcx to 2 pin, you can get a 2 pin utws5 or a mmcx utws5 but I am not sure about weather the 2 pin will fit your iems.
As for fitting in the case I couldn't say specially with Adapters. The shure tw2 would also need the adapters to fit your iems because they are only in mmcx fittings.

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #924 of 2,559
Can anyone who has these utws5 tell me the diameter of the little red and blue part of the posts? Preferably in mm. I am getting customs made and want to make sure that the recessed connection hole is big enough to accommodate these BT adapters. I have the 2 pin ones preordered for when they are back in stock but I won’t get them in time to measure for myself before the reshell is finished.

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #927 of 2,559
Can anyone who has these utws5 tell me the diameter of the little red and blue part of the posts? Preferably in mm. I am getting customs made and want to make sure that the recessed connection hole is big enough to accommodate these BT adapters. I have the 2 pin ones preordered for when they are back in stock but I won’t get them in time to measure for myself before the reshell is finished.
Do you mean the colored rings at the connection end towards the IEM's ? Without measuring it precisely and just comparing to a ruler these look like 6 mm diameters.
Keep in mind I have MMCX, so the 2 pin version might be different. You are welcome ! :wink:
IMG_20220222_104511.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #928 of 2,559
Do you mean the colored rings at the connection end towards the IEM's ? Without measuring it precisely and just comparing to a ruler these look like 6 mm diameters.
Keep in mind I have MMCX, so the 2 pin version might be different. You are welcome ! :wink:
IMG_20220222_104511.jpg

Thank you very much.

That’s about what I was estimating I’ll tell him to do 7mm or 8mm to be safe

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #929 of 2,559
IMG_20220222_104511.jpg
Hello any chance of showing the same picture in the case from the other side as I am curious to see how long the adapters are & also do they effect the fit comfort wise being a little longer. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back