[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Feb 19, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #901 of 2,559
I'm using a oneplus 9pro. I updated to the latest firmware. I get 16 seconds pf playback then just crackled noises. Then off. Quite sad tbh
Dear friend,

You are using AptX adaptive codec or AptX codc? We do not have the oneplus 9pro for check but in 8pro the connection could work fine:
1645259941604.png

If you have another mobile phone, please try and check whether the issue only happen when using the one plus mobile phone? Thanks in advanced!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 19, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #902 of 2,559
In some circumstances I'm getting random reconnect to my phone (Android) while adapters in the closed case.
Hardware or software issue?
Dear friend,

Sorry about that. You could try to clean the charging pins and check whether the issue remains. If yes, you could contact the seller about that for help. If the seller fails to help, please contact support@fiio.com with the receipt attached.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 19, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #903 of 2,559
@FiiO

After the recent update, the FiiO Control App does not function properly. Before the update, my UTWS5 was showing as Connected as soon as I was opening the App. Now, every time I open the App, I have to tap on the icon to connect. It shows as Disconnected even when I am wearing them and listening to music. Furthermore, there is a dropdown banner, appearing for a few seconds on the Status screen, which is empty. It does not show anything.

My phone is a Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro, Android 11, fully up to date. I have removed the Control App, unpaired the UTWS5, performed a factory reset, and rebooted the phone. Then reinstalled FiiO Control 2.8. It is the same. On Bluetooth settings everything works perfectly. It connects and disconnects, accordingly.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #906 of 2,559
I have Huawei p20 pro and it's always the same issue (shows disconnected) for every fiio device I have (BTR3, 5, UTWS5). I need to connect to every device manually each time. And after some time it is shows disconnected.
For me, it has not been like this. Before the recent "update", as soon as I was opening the Control App, and the case lid, my UTWS5 was showing as connected. When I was putting the earhooks back in the case and closing it, the App was showing: Disconnected. If I would then just open the case again, it was connecting back immediately. I didn't have to take them out or start playing music. It was just showing Connected. Like the Bluetooth setting on my phone (I think).

I just want to clarify that this has nothing to do with the playback. They play fine. It's just weird that I am listening to music and then I open the Control App, and it shows the device as disconnected while I'm listening to it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #907 of 2,559
Dear friend,

You are using AptX adaptive codec or AptX codc? We do not have the oneplus 9pro for check but in 8pro the connection could work fine:
1645259941604.png
If you have another mobile phone, please try and check whether the issue only happen when using the one plus mobile phone? Thanks in advanced!

Best regards
I'm using aptx right now. It works fine. Adaptive isn't working though. I appreciate you checking it out. I'm using oxygen 12 (the screenshot you sent its using oxygen 11 which tbh it's way better than 12) I'll post in OnePlus forums about it since I read someone else having the same issue, it's an odd case of incompatibility

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #908 of 2,559
For me, it has not been like this. Before the recent "update", as soon as I was opening the Control App, and the case lid, my UTWS5 was showing as connected. When I was putting the earhooks back in the case and closing it, the App was showing: Disconnected. If I would then just open the case again, it was connecting back immediately. I didn't have to take them out or start playing music. It was just showing Connected. Like the Bluetooth setting on my phone (I think).

I just want to clarify that this has nothing to do with the playback. They play fine. It's just weird that I am listening to music and then I open the Control App, and it shows the device as disconnected while I'm listening to it.
I'm curious about this but for a different reason. If I understand you correctly, everything's fundamentally fine. The units play as they should. When you open the control app that square may show disconnected but tapping on it you get the whirling arrows and it connects. If so then yours is just like mine. But what I want to know is what does the FIIO control app do? Because if I open Wavelet before "connecting" I don't see fancy options like Reverb, but after connecting through the FIIO app the options are there. What's actually happening?

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #909 of 2,559
I'm curious about this but for a different reason. If I understand you correctly, everything's fundamentally fine. The units play as they should. When you open the control app that square may show disconnected but tapping on it you get the whirling arrows and it connects. If so then yours is just like mine. But what I want to know is what does the FIIO control app do? Because if I open Wavelet before "connecting" I don't see fancy options like Reverb, but after connecting through the FIIO app the options are there. What's actually happening?
I don't know what is happening in your system because I do not use Wavelet or anything like that. I just open Amazon Music on my phone, or YouTube Vanced, and I am listening. What I am saying is that, before the "update", I did not have to tap on anything. I was just opening the case lid, then opening the FiiO Control App on my phone, and it was connecting automatically, without me having to tap on anything. And this is the proper behavior, in my opinion. Because it is the same as with the Bluetooth setting on my phone. As soon as I open the case lid, the UTWS5 appears as Connected, aptX Adaptive, battery 100%, in my Bluetooth settings. The same should happen with the Control App, and it was happening until the "update". The "update" broke it. I'm not sure what new and exciting and genuinely useful this "update" brought...

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #910 of 2,559
I don't know what is happening in your system because I do not use Wavelet or anything like that. I just open Amazon Music on my phone, or YouTube Vanced, and I am listening. What I am saying is that, before the "update", I did not have to tap on anything. I was just opening the case lid, then opening the FiiO Control App on my phone, and it was connecting automatically, without me having to tap on anything. And this is the proper behavior, in my opinion. Because it is the same as with the Bluetooth setting on my phone. As soon as I open the case lid, the UTWS5 appears as Connected, aptX Adaptive, battery 100%, in my Bluetooth settings. The same should happen with the Control App, and it was happening until the "update". The "update" broke it. I'm not sure what new and exciting and genuinely useful this "update" brought...
Yeah I wasn't clear, but my point was that the FIIO Control connection is not synonymous with Bluetooth connection. It's doing something else, as if wrapping/enhancing the Bluetooth connection. That's the part I don't understand. I used wavelet as an example, whereby after the FIIO control connection new features were exposed.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #911 of 2,559
I'm using a oneplus 9pro. I updated to the latest firmware. I get 16 seconds pf playback then just crackled noises. Then off. Quite sad tbh

I registered an account just to respond to this.

I also have a OnePlus 9 Pro and struggled long and hard trying to figure out why my audio cuts out within 20 seconds and then you lose all functionality (needing a complete reset of the UTWS5).

The UTWS5 works just fine -- the AptX Adaptive setting on the OnePlus 9 Pro doesn't work properly, even though you can select it from the Developer's menu. Downgrading to regular AptX works just fine.

To test this, I purchased the QCC3040 USB transmitter in this thread that has AptX Adaptive and it works just fine. I also purchased an LG V60 ThinQ with native AptX Adaptive support and that also works just fine.

I spent a few frustrating days...just wanted to publicly post this for others with the same phone.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #912 of 2,559
Yeah I wasn't clear, but my point was that the FIIO Control connection is not synonymous with Bluetooth connection. It's doing something else, as if wrapping/enhancing the Bluetooth connection. That's the part I don't understand. I used wavelet as an example, whereby after the FIIO control connection new features were exposed.
Okay, I see what you mean, but I am not using any App to listen to my music on the phone, so I do not know if running FiiO Control reveals any new features or enhances anything. What I can tell you is that I do not observe any difference in listening to music from the Amazon App or YouTube, with the FiiO app running or closed. It sounds the same to me. Finally, it is really sad that the "update" broke this functionality, the auto-connect. @FiiO why does it have to be this way? You "update" and you break it? Your UTWS5 is still not available on Amazon UK, I don't know if it is even available on Ali. The firmware on Android is still not available. And when you honor us with your visit in here, you leave half and more of your customer's concerns and queries, unanswered.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #913 of 2,559
Probably a stupid question but how does the utws5 play on a dap without using the app.
Do you have to run it on a phone with the app installed for it to work properly.
I have the shure tw2 on my se846s & that runs fine on my sp1000m without app & also on my note9 phone.

Feb 19, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #914 of 2,559
Probably a stupid question but how does the utws5 play on a dap without using the app.
Do you have to run it on a phone with the app installed for it to work properly.
I have the shure tw2 on my se846s & that runs fine on my sp1000m without app & also on my note9 phone.
You don't need the app to use the device. But if you want anything other than default settings you'll need it. I don't know how much those settings are stored on device, which would allow you to set on one device and use it on another, but I could run some experiments if that's important to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back