[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Aug 22, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #2,371 of 2,559
I take this back, sorry for the confusion.

This morning I have tried again LDAC 660kbps and, unfortunately, it does not work, either. After an hour or so, it starts crackling. I've also observed that if I will open another App besides the music App, say Chrome, crackling noises start.

So, I am now convinced that FiiO's experimental LDAC does not work at all on my Samsung S23 Ultra, so I am going back to aptX.

No worries.
My current Samsung smartphone is a Galaxy Flip 1st generation, so it's a bit older.

I've had issues with other LDAC products (Anker's codeless, Fiio BTR3k, Hiby WU1, QCC5125 Bluetooth Cable etc..) that aren't UTWS5, such as sound cutting out when the screen is on, or cutting out when location services are turned on. I had to turn off the screen, turn off location services, etc. to get it to behave normally.

Only Sony's MDR-1000X had no problems. That's why I ended up keeping my Samsung in a drawer. I believe there is something wrong with Samsung's LDAC or Bluetooth A2DP.

Of course, this may have improved with newer Samsung products, but given that my UTWS5 works fine at 990Kbps on a much cheaper Oppo realme phone, I'm not sure if it's a problem with the UTWS5, a problem with the Galaxy, or a problem with both.

UTWS5's LDAC 660Kbps is works perfectly, My LG V50, Sony Xperia XZ1C, Unihertz Jelly 2, Rakuten Mini, even Galaxy Flip 1...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #2,372 of 2,559
@FiiO

Have you reported an issue with Ambient Mode?

In very rare cases, the volume in Ambient Mode can be loud enough when playing certain codecs and sound sources, but in most situations, the volume is too low to make this feature meaningful.

As someone who uses UTWS5 all day, it's a pain to have to take it off every time I need to listen to something else.
Due to this issue, I have temporarily given up on the sound quality of UTWS5 and am using RMCE-TW2.

Please take this issue seriously and fix it quickly.
I already suggested making a function when the transparency mode is turned on automatically only when the playback is paused. Such a function is indeed vital.

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #2,373 of 2,559
I already suggested making a function when the transparency mode is turned on automatically only when the playback is paused. Such a function is indeed vital.
I absolutely agree. Having to click, wait half a second for the music to pause, then triple click and wait another half second for transparency to kick takes too long, easier to just take them off.

@FiiO Fixing ambient mode would be very easy fix and very important!
Increase the ambient mode max volume (much more than it was in 1.5, even then the max was very quiet). The max should be too loud, users will dial their preference.
Add the function to auto-enable ambient mode on music pause.

That is all needed to fix ambient mode, it is stupid that an important function is not usable by very simple limitations of the firmware!

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,374 of 2,559
nemurini said:
@FiiO

Have you reported an issue with Ambient Mode?

In very rare cases, the volume in Ambient Mode can be loud enough when playing certain codecs and sound sources, but in most situations, the volume is too low to make this feature meaningful.

As someone who uses UTWS5 all day, it's a pain to have to take it off every time I need to listen to something else.
Due to this issue, I have temporarily given up on the sound quality of UTWS5 and am using RMCE-TW2.

Please take this issue seriously and fix it quickly.
For me Ambient Mode at one level in the FiiO Control app on the phone, when listening to music there is one level, when the music is paused the level is very low, and during a phone call it is very loud and with the surrounding wind it muffles my hearing as and when metal objects rattle, their sound is very loud and shrill, for example when I unlock my apartment door with the metal key when turning the lock. In my opinion, when Ambient Mode is on, the sound level should be the same in all three modes, ie. listening to music, pause and when conducting a telephone conversation, as well as to limit the volume in a certain frequency range, for example with an equalizer.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #2,375 of 2,559
Hello @FiiO does the UTWS5 support aptX Voice 32kHz for calling? I dont see any solid confirmation that it does support it. Thank you in advance.
Dear friend,

Yes, the UTWS5 supports.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 23, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #2,376 of 2,559
I absolutely agree. Having to click, wait half a second for the music to pause, then triple click and wait another half second for transparency to kick takes too long, easier to just take them off.

@FiiO Fixing ambient mode would be very easy fix and very important!
Increase the ambient mode max volume (much more than it was in 1.5, even then the max was very quiet). The max should be too loud, users will dial their preference.
Add the function to auto-enable ambient mode on music pause.

That is all needed to fix ambient mode, it is stupid that an important function is not usable by very simple limitations of the firmware!
Dear friend,

We have reported to the engineer once again. But we could not promise the time of next firmware currently. If there are any update from them, we will report to you again.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #2,377 of 2,559
Hi @FiiO,
Several major issues have been resolved in the 1.74 firmware, but following issues holds me back from purchasing another UTWS5:
1. LDAC doesn't work well with my Galaxy s23+ like many people already reported in this thread. I can't use the LDAC codec for now.
2. Hard to put hooks in the charging case to start immediately charging them properly. As workaround, I need to take hook(s) off the case, clean, put back them back multiple times until both leds start blinking. It can take up to minute and it's annoying. It doesn't happen with my UTWS3.
3. The range is noticeable shorter in comparison to my UTWS3 using same APTX codec and the same conditions.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #2,378 of 2,559
Hi @FiiO,
Several major issues have been resolved in the 1.74 firmware, but following issues holds me back from purchasing another UTWS5:
1. LDAC doesn't work well with my Galaxy s23+ like many people already reported in this thread. I can't use the LDAC codec for now.
2. Hard to put hooks in the charging case to start immediately charging them properly. As workaround, I need to take hook(s) off the case, clean, put back them back multiple times until both leds start blinking. It can take up to minute and it's annoying. It doesn't happen with my UTWS3.
3. The range is noticeable shorter in comparison to my UTWS3 using same APTX codec and the same conditions.
Dear friend,

For the first problem, you could try to switch to 330kbps/660kbps to see whether it helps.
As for 2/3, you could check whether the issue keeps happpening. If yes, please try to contact the seller or support@fiio.com for help.

Best regards

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #2,379 of 2,559
Hi @FiiO,
The emphasized text, together with the fact that I am a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra owner, triggered me to reply to you.

My personal opinion is that, at this point in time, it does not worth it to buy another UTWS5. The best True Wireless Bluetooth Amplifier/Adapter that can be purchased right now is the iFi GO Pod. You can read impressions and reviews on this website. So, if this one is available in your country, it's the wisest choice to save up and, at least, give it a try. FiiO's experimental LDAC does not work with Samsung, and I do not care if this is Samsung's issue and fault or if it's FiiO's issue and fault. What I genuinely care for, is to have a seamless Bluetooth Audio experience with the flagship smartphone of my choice and, right now, the iFi GO Pod is the only device offering the absolute best experience, by far.

Alternatively, you could wait for the UTWS15, or whatever will be called. Do not purchase a second UTWS5 pair, though, since you're facing such issues with your current UTWS5.

Finally, I confirm for one more time that FiiO's LDAC does not work on my S23 Ultra. I need to be in the same room with my phone or carry it on me, to be able to listen to LDAC 990/909kbps, and this for approximately one hour. After that one hour, crackling noises and distortions begin. Same is happening with 660kbps, it just takes a bit more time. If I will "dare" to leave the phone in another room, the issues appear much sooner.

With my GO Pod, I can move around throughout my entire property, on different floors, always listening to LDAC 990/909kbps, without any issue, ever.

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #2,380 of 2,559
The emphasized text, together with the fact that I am a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra owner, triggered me to reply to you.

My personal opinion is that, at this point in time, it does not worth it to buy another UTWS5. The best True Wireless Bluetooth Amplifier/Adapter that can be purchased right now is the iFi GO Pod. You can read impressions and reviews on this website. So, if this one is available in your country, it's the wisest choice to save up and, at least, give it a try. FiiO's experimental LDAC does not work with Samsung, and I do not care if this is Samsung's issue and fault or if it's FiiO's issue and fault. What I genuinely care for, is to have a seamless Bluetooth Audio experience with the flagship smartphone of my choice and, right now, the iFi GO Pod is the only device offering the absolute best experience, by far.

Alternatively, you could wait for the UTWS15, or whatever will be called. Do not purchase a second UTWS5 pair, though, since you're facing such issues with your current UTWS5.

Finally, I confirm for one more time that FiiO's LDAC does not work on my S23 Ultra. I need to be in the same room with my phone or carry it on me, to be able to listen to LDAC 990/909kbps, and this for approximately one hour. After that one hour, crackling noises and distortions begin. Same is happening with 660kbps, it just takes a bit more time. If I will "dare" to leave the phone in another room, the issues appear much sooner.

With my GO Pod, I can move around throughout my entire property, on different floors, always listening to LDAC 990/909kbps, without any issue, ever.
Theres issues but it's mighty sound for a fair price...
Its Samsung who are being stingy here... Hook it too a Sony Xperia

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #2,381 of 2,559

I'd like to add one last thing.
FiiO, themselves, characterize their LDAC implementation as Experimental. By default or after a factory reset, LDAC is disabled. This says a lot...

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,382 of 2,559
I would like to add a little. Based on the previous discussion, I purchased a Xiaomi 12 with Qualcomm 8 gen 1 processor that supports snapdragon sound. Now LDAС works at maximum bitrate without any interruptions, the sound is excellent.

I like the samsung s23 more because of the size and weight, but the samsung shot itself in the foot.

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #2,383 of 2,559
I thought it was obvious but I'd like to clarify, anyway, that my post above was addressed to @Xibir , like from one Samsung owner to another.

Just out of curiosity, though, I'd be interested to know why is the GO Pod functioning perfectly with my S23 Ultra but the UTWS5 does not. How can this be Samsung's fault?
The way I see it, here we have iFi's LDAC implementation which functions perfectly and FiiO's experimental LDAC implementation which does not work.
I do not really care because I am getting the best possible sound quality and Bluetooth connectivity range with the GO Pod, just curious.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #2,384 of 2,559
Ldac with my fold 4 two weeks on is fantastic. Occassionally it drops out, which is swiftly fixed by pressing the play/pause button a few times. Id say i get drop out issues never at home but in busy areas ince every few hours

For the price i am v happy. Amazing product

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,385 of 2,559
Ldac with my fold 4 two weeks on is fantastic. Occassionally it drops out, which is swiftly fixed by pressing the play/pause button a few times. Id say i get drop out issues never at home but in busy areas ince every few hours

For the price i am v happy. Amazing product
Excuse me, are you referring to this device? Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4?

If so, can you please describe the circumstances under which you are using it? Specifically:

- Are you setting LDAC fixed at 990/909kbps?
- What is your Bluetooth connectivity range, when at home?
- Are you listening using UAPP?
- Are you using any streaming services, like Amazon Music Unlimited, YouTube, Qobuz, Tidal or others?
- How many hours per day are you listening with your UTWS5?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back