[FiiO UTWS3] True Wireless Bluetooth Module/MMCX/0.78 2pin/QCC3020/TPA6140A2/ Bluetooth 5.0
Dec 31, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #196 of 905
Just got them an hour ago and yes they are really really a big improvement over the UTWS1, comfort, sound output, generally a better experience.20201231_131138.jpg20201231_131933.jpg20201231_131920.jpg
Dude saw your post in FAC. Glad to see you here in HF.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #197 of 905
please update on sound quality for this combo :) this will be my setup hopefully soon
Sorry about that. It probably takes me a couple more days for a more in-depth impression (New Year and all).

However, I am happy to tell you that, for me, all the goodies of Z1R are still there and apparent. Deep clean punching bass with that endless highs. But, the soundstage is a bit narrower; affect the width more than depth.

I am not sure if it was because I used BTR3 and Apple Dongle before UTWS3 and got used to a wider sound or because UTWS3 brings a little warmth to the sound.

I do not hate the change that much actually, now it sounds a little (emphasizes on "little") forward and exciting vs the grand and elegant sound with dongle.

Bear in mind that this is just from my ears on stock silicon tips. The most obvious change was the forwardness so everything sounds a bit closer and well....you hear more things I guess. I am not an expert on describing sound.

Do share your thoughts with this combo when you get yours. I am also curious if it's just me and my setup that sounded a tad different. I need more time lol

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #198 of 905
Unless there are some international / regional law forcing TWS company to offer battery replacement program, solution 1 is never going to happen. Stocking replacement battery in itself is a logistic and financial nightmare for small company (li-ion battery naturally degrades overtime after manufacturing so company can't stock a large quantity of them or else most of the unused one will need to be discarded after a few years and the company taking a lost. Li-ion battery is also mostly made to order because different model needs different shape). The only way battery replacement can work on a financially sound level is that it either has to be quite expensive or it has to be quite large in scale - neither will likely going to happen on any TWS model. It makes sense for big smartphone company to offer battery replacement service because they have the scale of economy on their side when they sell millions of smartphones. But for TWS maker that might only sells ten of thousands of a single model ( (*this is a very optimistic estimation, most IEM company usually only sells a few thousand unit of any one single IEM model) at best? Not really. On the other hand, if replacing battery is too expensive, less people will want to do a battery replacement instead of just buying a new pair of TWS.

As for solution 2 - I bought my first pair of good IEM in 2004 when I joined Head-fi, haven't seen any real price drop on higher end IEM market for the last 17 years. In fact, the opposite happened (even during and after the 2008 market crash) where the price keeps going up and up. While I do hope to see price coming down, I won't hold my breath over it.

I agree with everything you write IF the earphone market stays like it is.
But in my opinion (I have worked for a big technology concern) the whole market is going to change in the next two decades because due to many coming developments in "every day technology" (smart home, cloud based applications, augmented reality etc.) the general usage of earphones will change/expand in many ways and more and more turn them into ”smart devices” with more functions than just music listening.
Right now you have the average consumer that already buys TWS and the hardcore audiophiles (us here!) that insist on traditional "analog" earphone technology for music listening (and maybe buy an extra pair of TWS or TWS adapter for other than music application). But once TWS and its different ways of using establishes more and more in our daily life, even the audiophile market will generate the need for a TWS device (that of course meets its standards in terms of audio quality). This means the market for traditional earphones will become smaller and smaller and force small audiophile companies to integrate chips (and batteries) into their devices... otherwise their chances of dying get bigger and bigger. And again, this will make it necessary for them to at least work together with other companies that help them to integrate these technologies (and also solve the problems linked to it...battery change is just one of them!). If one watches carefully, one can already see some audiophile companies trying to step their feet into that door (such as Fiio or Noble, for example) because they have realized, too, it is essential for them to survive long term.
Because otherwise the big players will take over their market , because they can easily do it when the timing is right (they could create sub brands for example, bringing their technology to the audiophile market). And this is why I meant prices and concepts of consumer and audiophile orientated companies will get closer and closer. Because, again, the more TWS establishes in every day life and big companies improve their audio quality, even hardcore audiophiles won t pay thousands of dollars anymore for an "out dated" wired earphone. Again, I am not talking about the next two years, I am talking a bit more into the future.
You wrote that prices in the audiophile world have only gone up, but I d say the truth is more complex. The ChiFi market and its acceptance is quite new to our hobby (I am also an earphone nerd since the Triple Fi) and shows how cheaply good earphones can be produced. That prices have gone up with the traditional companies is actually a reaction to that. Because they know the only way to keep their market position in times of Chifi is to create value and status through their pricing. But again, this works now, but not in future if they cannot offer a product that moves with the times (of changing technology)...
Of course one does not always have to agree with those developments, but in my opinion they are unstoppable. It`s quite similar to developments in the camera industry (from analog to digital to the competition with the smartphone industry) - makers either adjust their concepts and cooperate with other companies or they die...sad but true.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #201 of 905
20201231_212212.jpg
20201231_211703.jpg
20201231_211633.jpg
20201231_211633.jpg
20201231_211557.jpg
20201231_211557.jpg
20201231_212104.jpg
Here's the side by side comparison with the previous version UTWS1, the main body where the battery and controls are a bit longer on the old UTWS1 on the other hand the UTWS3 ear hook is thicker and a little bit longer I think🤔. Comfort wise the UTWS3 is a lot more comfortable and easier to fit due to the softer ear hook it doesn't grab your ear that much you may say that it's on the gentle side but remains to be secured in place once used.

Jan 1, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #203 of 905
Sorry about that. It probably takes me a couple more days for a more in-depth impression (New Year and all).

However, I am happy to tell you that, for me, all the goodies of Z1R are still there and apparent. Deep clean punching bass with that endless highs. But, the soundstage is a bit narrower; affect the width more than depth.

I am not sure if it was because I used BTR3 and Apple Dongle before UTWS3 and got used to a wider sound or because UTWS3 brings a little warmth to the sound.

I do not hate the change that much actually, now it sounds a little (emphasizes on "little") forward and exciting vs the grand and elegant sound with dongle.

Bear in mind that this is just from my ears on stock silicon tips. The most obvious change was the forwardness so everything sounds a bit closer and well....you hear more things I guess. I am not an expert on describing sound.

Do share your thoughts with this combo when you get yours. I am also curious if it's just me and my setup that sounded a tad different. I need more time lol

thanks for the update :) wondering the soundstage difference was due to bluetooth vs cable, or the amp/dac of the utws3. cant wait for it to arrive in my country!!

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #205 of 905
It's mmcx to 2 pin. Since I'm inpatient I immediately bought the mmcx version of the UTWS3 even though most of my IEMS are 2 pin. But my favorite as of the moment is the FH3 which has a mmcx connector.
Cheers. I have a pair of westone w4r and are 2 pin but don’t like the look of the utws3 version of it as it has no square push fit. So I was thinking of going for the Mmcx version and get adaptors that do.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #206 of 905
Cheers. I have a pair of westone w4r and are 2 pin but don’t like the look of the utws3 version of it as it has no square push fit. So I was thinking of going for the Mmcx version and get adaptors that do.

ive got some mmcx to 2 pin adaptors, they are not that good when used going up around the ear. Better with them hanging down.

did look at these, but has ambient been removed?

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #209 of 905
It's mmcx to 2 pin. Since I'm inpatient I immediately bought the mmcx version of the UTWS3 even though most of my IEMS are 2 pin. But my favorite as of the moment is the FH3 which has a mmcx connector.
Mmcx to 2 pin .78mm
I think that's a wise choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back