FiiO Releases EX1 Aerospace Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm IEMs
Sep 12, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #76 of 94
Hey I just got my EX1 and upon testing I discovered that it doesn't work with my phone(Windows Phone) without some kind of extender. It does however work with my Ipod Nano 7 as is. Can you guys shed me some light on this issue?

*note: I will also post this in DUNU Titan thread

Hi, hifikid245
It seems strange.
Please check if you have plugged the port fully enough to the jack of your phone. And please check if the volume is too small. Would other headphones work well with your phone?

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 12, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #77 of 94
Hey I just got my EX1 and upon testing I discovered that it doesn't work with my phone(Windows Phone) without some kind of extender. It does however work with my Ipod Nano 7 as is. Can you guys shed me some light on this issue?

Hi, hifikid245
It seems strange.
Please check if you have plugged the port fully enough to the jack of your phone. And please check if the volume is too small. Would other headphones work well with your phone?
hi thanks for the reply. It's strange indeed, of all my headphones this is the only one that has this issue. It seems like my phone doesn't recognise the when I plug in my EX1. And like I said the only fix I've found to this is to use an extender which is not pretty.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #78 of 94

do you plug the IEM deep enough? maybe the phone's plug is a little stiff, or maybe there is a physical obstruction from the casing of the phone?

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #79 of 94
do you plug the IEM deep enough? maybe the phone's plug is a little stiff, or maybe there is a physical obstruction from the casing of the phone?
thanks for the reply. Yep, I've done all things I could think of. I even went as far as resetting my phone thinking it was just a software bug but unfortunately the issue still exist after the reset. I've had this similar issue with my other phone where it won't recognise Apple certified headsets with microphones. It should be fine since the EX1 is using the standard stereo plug. But this one's odd 'cause the it doesn't have microphone and yet my phone still won't recognise it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #80 of 94
yup, it would have been very usual problem for anything more than TSR plug(3pins), but indeed there is no reason for it to happen here on something without a remote.
can you take picture of the plug into the phone to see if there is a clear problem with how deep you can go? is the adapter that works anything special like a sony to apple adapter or something like that? or is it also a TSR to TSR basic thing?
I don't know that I can help you, but now you've made me curious about how something like that can happen. ^_^

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #81 of 94
thanks for the reply. Yep, I've done all things I could think of. I even went as far as resetting my phone thinking it was just a software bug but unfortunately the issue still exist after the reset. I've had this similar issue with my other phone where it won't recognise Apple certified headsets with microphones. It should be fine since the EX1 is using the standard stereo plug. But this one's odd 'cause the it doesn't have microphone and yet my phone still won't recognise it.

Something like that happened with some of my earphones on my Galaxy note edge, I resolved it cleaning the earphone jack with needle, the jack was full of dust and textile from my pockets.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #82 of 94
Something like that happened with some of my earphones on my Galaxy note edge, I resolved it cleaning the earphone jack with needle, the jack was full of dust and textile from my pockets.
Hi, this seems like the most logical explanation to this issue. And perhaps I have a faulty phone and the Fiio EX1's 3.5mm plug have a tiny tiny size difference from my other headsets that's why I'm having this issue only with the EX1. Thanks for the tip, cheers.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #83 of 94
I just received my DUNU Titan 5 this afternoon and interestingly enough it works with my phone! I expected it to be the same case as my Fiio EX1, good thing it didn't. Now I'm quite certain that there is probably some slight variation in the Fiio's version of the termination jack. Or could be that I just got unlucky to get an slightly dud termination on my EX1.
Cheers,

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #84 of 94
I just received my DUNU Titan 5 this afternoon and interestingly enough it works with my phone! I expected it to be the same case as my Fiio EX1, good thing it didn't. Now I'm quite certain that there is probably some slight variation in the Fiio's version of the termination jack. Or could be that I just got unlucky to get an slightly dud termination on my EX1.
Cheers,

How does it sound compared to the EX1?

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #85 of 94
Initial impression the EX1 sound more natural and ear friendly. While the two have similar sound signature the Titan 5's treble is metallic and sharp it kinda remind  me of the Sennheiser CX3.00 that broke on me. I will rate the EX1 as  more ear friendly, I can use it for hours. I'm probably more treble sensitive than others and I'm still getting use to the Titan 5's treble. The bass in the Titan 5 is more present and sometimes it bleeds over the mids. And if I don't count my Senn cx3.00 the Titan 5 is probably the bassiest amongst all my pair.
Anyhow, it's very early to judge, my opinion might change over time but in my first impression I would choose the EX1 over the Titan 5.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #86 of 94
Thanks for your impressions!

I love my EX1 (well, I had to replace my first pair after the right earpiece got separated), but it takes quite some equalizing to adapt it to my sonic ideal. If you're interested, here's my curve with the X5 II (with gradual low-pass filter):

31 Hz: –5     62 Hz: –5.8    125 Hz: –4.4    250 Hz: –2.8    500 Hz: –2    1 kHz: ––    2 kHz: +2.6    4 kHz: –2.2    8 kHz: –5.4    16 kHz: ––

The reduced occlusion effects that come with the rather low isolation make it ideal for walking and jogging – outside the city.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #87 of 94
Thanks for your impressions!

I love my EX1 (well, I had to replace my first pair after the right earpiece got separated), but it takes quite some equalizing to adapt it to my sonic ideal. If you're interested, here's my curve with the X5 II (with gradual low-pass filter):

31 Hz: –5     62 Hz: –5.8    125 Hz: –4.4    250 Hz: –2.8    500 Hz: –2    1 kHz: ––    2 kHz: +2.6    4 kHz: –2.2    8 kHz: –5.4    16 kHz: ––

The reduced occlusion effects that come with the rather low isolation make it ideal for walking and jogging – outside the city.
Hi thanks for the numbers but I don't have any device to use it with at the moment.

Yes, the EX1 could've been my favourite in ear if it isn't because of that one minor fault.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #88 of 94
so is there anything visibly different on both plugs? like one looking longer or larger in diameter? going a little deeper into the phone? I'm curious, I'm a cat, not gonna end well but it's in my nature. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back