FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #856 of 1,107
Dear friend,

R7 can use TIDAL.

Best regards
He's talking about the ability to use the Tidal Connect function (and thus as a remote end-point) and not just the Tidal app.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #857 of 1,107
Hello, I bought Fiio R7 to replace Wiim mini to work with my Chord Hugo2+Audeze LCD2 via toslink.

I am very disappointed with sound quality. I connected r7 with Hugo2 via toslink. Sound is flat, "cheap", no details and no space at all. All the sounds collected in the center of the head. I tryed via USB, its better, more details, but still flat and "in the center of the head".

With audeze connected to headphone socket of R7, its good sound. Not like Hugo2 but... OK.

So, WHATS wrong with toslink of R7??? It should be bit perfect stream going from Toslink output. Why it so bad???

Cable is the same I used for Wiim which works perfectly with Wiim.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #858 of 1,107
Hello, I bought Fiio R7 to replace Wiim mini to work with my Chord Hugo2+Audeze LCD2 via toslink.

I am very disappointed with sound quality. I connected r7 with Hugo2 via toslink. Sound is flat, "cheap", no details and no space at all. All the sounds collected in the center of the head. I tryed via USb, its better, more details, but still flat and "in the center of the head".

With audeze connected to headphone socket of R7, its good sound. Not like Hugo2 but... OK.

So, WHATS wrong with toslink of R7??? It should be bit perfect stream going from Toslink output. Why it so bad???
USB was best sounding output I tried -You need to connect to the USB C socket not the USB A as this the one designed for connecting DACS to and initially I found the sound disappointing until I worked this out. I just used a USB C to A converter to connect my existing cable.
The Fiio PL50 power supply was also a worthwhile improvement.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #859 of 1,107
Hi Nick, thanks for an input. I tryed to connect Hugo2 to R7 via USB-C socket. It works, it slightly better but still sound quality is disappointing (in comparison with Wiim mini via toslink or macbook pro with Audirvana via usb) and this USB output is not bit-perfect as you can still control it with R7 volume control.

So seems will sell this R7. :frowning2: Very disappointing. But I still dont understand. How sq could be so bad if you just send bit-perfect stream via optical cable?

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #860 of 1,107
Hi Nick, thanks for an input. I tryed to connect Hugo2 to R7 via USB-C socket. It works, it slightly better but still sound quality is disappointing (in comparison with Wiim mini via toslink or macbook pro with Audirvana via usb) and this USB output is not bit-perfect as you can still control it with R7 volume control.

So seems will sell this R7. :frowning2: Very disappointing. But I still dont understand. How sq could be so bad if you just send bit-perfect stream via optical cable?

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #861 of 1,107
SPDIF coax also sounded good but not as detailed as USB.
You can disable the volume in the mode.
selector -as a DAC the R7 is a midfi product but what do you expect for 699? -as a streamer and roon bridge, correctly setup, is a great value that you would have to spend significantly more to improve on.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #863 of 1,107
Exactly ! I do not understand. FiiO is the only company who does not have this capability! @FiiO please explain if this option is in working progress.
Yes frustrating not being able to use Tidal connect. The screen cast app will do this to a degree but keeps disconnecting in my usage.
Roon solves the problem though.
Fiio are probably too busy working on the R9 these crazy upgrade cycles are frustrating as nothing ever gets developed to its full potential.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #864 of 1,107
Hey @FiiO

To bad that you did not fix the "sync sender clock" error in roon when the R7 is connected by USB and Roon (over Wfii) the same time… I reported this here in the forum and to your support Ticket ID 29978 (including video that show the problem)

It still occurs in your 1.0.4 Firmware. Is there a reason why its not fixed?

Kind Regards
Dear @FiiO any info about this?

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #869 of 1,107
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back